SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
israelithyme

Harvest and size from tomatoes grown in soil bags...?

israelithyme
8 years ago

Last spring I grew 8 tomato plants I started from seed in 1.5 cu ft. potting soil bags. They are heirlooms (Gooseberry Cherry, Golden Jubilee, and Break O'Day). I think because I didn't set them out until nearly the end of April, they didn't produce much at all during the summer (literally only half a pint of the cherry tomatoes, and about 2 each of the 'bigger' kinds). We got a bit more in the fall when the temps fell below "scorching." All but the Gooseberry Cherry over-wintered, however, and each has about 4 toms nearing ripening stage and are blooming like mad. I've noticed, however, that the tomatoes are about the size of a golf ball (maybe a tad larger) and that was the case last summer and fall, as well. Is it because they are being grown in bags rather than in the ground that the fruit is so small?

I'm about to transplant out another 12 (very small) seedlings that I've again started from seed into more potting soil bags (hoping I'm early enough to get an early summer harvest before the high temps really hit, though, cough, it was 92 F today!). Should I expect a smaller harvest and smaller fruit on the soil-bag grown tomatoes compared to what someone would get if they a) had good soil and b) had garden space to plant them in-ground?

I'm really interested in hearing about peoples' experiences growing tomatoes in potting soil bags and any advice you may have!!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996