SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardningscomplicated

advantages to potting on, and best size soil block for tomatoes

My tomato seeds should be sprouting anytime now, so I need to put them in soil blocks really soon. And I'm wondering if I'd be better off putting them in 1 inch blocks. Then potting on to 2 inch. Then finally to 3 and/or 4 inch. Or starting in 2 or 3 inch, and going from there? I read that there are advantages to potting on, as opposed to just starting out in the final size block, but does anyone know what those advantages are? I know about using less space for germinating. And being able to select the best plants to pot up. But what are the advantages for each plant that goes through the potting up process, ending up in a 3 or 4 inch block vs each plant that starts off in a 3 or 4 inch block, and just stays there? I want to avoid any unnecessary work, since I have a lot of plants to deal with. But I'll do extra if I think it's worth it.

Also, what's the best size block to end up with? 3 or 4 inch pots seem pretty standard. Some people thinking smaller can be an advantage, and bigger really doesn't help. But that's pots, and I don't know if the same thing applies to blocks. And 4 inch blocks are a standard size. But are they better than 3 inch? They're more expensive, and take up more space than 3 inch. But are they worth it?

My current thoughts are to start with 1 inch. Pot the survivors up to 2 inch, when the roots start coming out of the blocks. Then pot up to 3 inch, when it looks like I really have to. And hope I don't need anything bigger. I made my 1 inch blocker out of duct tape and cardboard, and it was really easy. So I'm not worried about using standard sizes, since I can make my own with no problem.

Comments (29)