SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
writerebecca1959

Kitchen reno advice, please?

Rebecca
8 years ago

We are redoing the kitchen in our old farmhouse. I wanted to keep a vintage feel to it. After MUCH gnashing of teeth, I moved away from the antique white/cream of my cabinet colour choice to Soft Fern (Benjamin Moore) with a copper farmhouse sink. I'm a bit befuddled, as some refer to Soft Fern as a yellow green online, while others a gray green. I don't want yellow. Interpretation of this colour would be appreciated?

We have an extra large window over the kitchen sink facing west, and another on the other end facing east. I hope you can tell the general layout by the attached sketches. In the second sketch, where the fridge is placed, we have no cupboards there as it is a dining area (I'm moving the table one end of a large rectangular living room). I THINK the best place for the fridge (see sketch) is there as it frees up space in the U-shaped part of the room, or the "kitchen proper" (where it sits currently). I have had some negative feedback on locating the fridge on the other side of the doorway as some people think it's out of range. Thoughts?

This sketch does not show it, but there will be a small island opposite the sink when the kitchen is done. About 4 foot square I believe.

I am thinking I will use Wilsonart calcutta marble countertops.I will be using the same flooring here as in the living room (which will be done in some shade of complementary gray). I had debated between vinyl plank and hardwood but have decided on hardwood (I think) because I don't really want vinyl in the living room. The kitchen and living room are separated by a double doorway. Because the ceiling (beadboard) will be white, the Soft Fern cabinets will go to the ceiling, and light countertop, the flooring should be darker. Any recommendations on a quality brand and shade -- warm tones for the fern or cool for the gray? I do like the wider style.

ANY input would be appreciated both in layout, cabinet colour or flooring advice!

Thank you.

Comments (12)