SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
victoria_melanson

Advice on medium size kitchen layout for big reno

Victoria Melanson
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Recently my townhouse sustained massive water damage and we are in the process of renovating everything. Since our very old cabinets are getting replaced via insurance, I think it's time to reconsider the layout and perhaps invest in a few upgrades. I'm not great at spacial stuff and I'd really appreciate some advice on optimal layout to maximize storage but not compromise on the open concept. Here's a link to pictures. Don't get confused about the cabinet colors - some are old pics before we painted them white.

Things I'm considering that I would really appreciate advice on:

- an exterior corner (as in 270 degree countertop turn) coming off of the cabinets that end at the living room (labeled "cabinets" on my hand drawing) and create a bar-type area facing into the living room with shelving for storage --> not sure if this will make the entrance from the hallway into living room feel cramped??

- removing that central column on the peninsula which is not a load-bearing structure (95% sure we are doing this part) and creating a true peninsula

- enlarging the threshold between the kitchen and living room, leaving the labeled "cabinets" (actually our pantry) in their current location but increasing the size of the entryway to start right where the cabinets finish to the direct back wall. Right now there's a few feet of wasted wall there. --> debating if we should add another pantry there to have more storage or if that would make the kitchen feel smaller?

- enlarging the island by a few inches and lengthening it so it extends in front of some/most of the fridge, but not far enough to obstruct the laundry closet. --> not sure if this will make the kitchen feel cramped or would look good??

Please help me out! If I get some sound advice I'd love to post an update when it's all done.

Comments (2)