SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karan_in_oregon

Aphids and fungus gnats, oh my

Renter
8 years ago

I have been fighting these since fall. The aphids are gone as of now, Fungus gnats are waning but still too many,

I sprayed the begonias in the bathtub with just mild water. No good. I have taken them outside when it is the high 60s in some shade and sprayed with Insecticidal Soap. That worked on the aphids for sure. I have sprayed with soapy water.

Sorry this is long.

This morning I repotted some in fresh soiless mix with added horticultural grade perlite just a bit of lime and charcoal and a small amount of Osmocote. Before potting I soaked them all in a drop of Superthrive. I washed as much old soil off then potted, I covered the top of the soil with small aquarium rocks so the gnats can't lay their eggs. I bought mosquito dunks to flush them with but haven't. I have them isolated in the bedroom under an Ott light. Have I overdone it? I still have a dozen or so to do. I washed off the plant stand that is covered with plastic sheeting. I will replace the sheeting, I have spent so much buying them last spring that I am am trying to keep them.

Thank you for suggestions

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996