SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
libraqueen81

Landscape privacy trees around shurbs, help

libraqueen81
8 years ago

I'll try to make this short as I tend to write novels. I live below the street and I have 2 retaining walls in front of my house that are not connected. Clay soil, full, hot sun all day. It does slope a bit as we live in a steep hill. I want to plant green giant arborvitae trees there for privacy as we are stared at by people walking by. Also, mowing is horrible. I just want most of that area filled so I don't have to mow.

Pics 1&2- Right retaining wall. 60'W 20' D in the middle. It tapers off as you get to the ends, which is 13'. The magnolia is in the middle 6'H about 12x12 around. You cannot see, but I staggered 4 Rose of Sharon's, 2 on either side of magnolia. They are from seedling from my big 'ROS' which is by the camper in the very right hand corner of the picture. He's very big. Since the Arborvitae I wish to plant are 20'W upon maturity, I was going to take 2 ROS out. SO one on each side. I have sad Weeping Norfolk on the outer corner of the area as well. I will take them out to place elsewhere as I've zero luck with them in this soil. I have better conditions elsewhere. I would like to stagger 4- 2 on each side, green giant arborvitae near outer corner.

Pic 3 is my stairs going down to the house. They have to be widened as they are way to narrow to carry groceries down. Whole space if 15' wide. The grass area on either side of the stairs is so steep you loose your shoes walking up. I'm putting a creeping juniper all there so no mowing, and no walking there.

Pic 4- left retaining wall. 25.5'W X17'D. There was a large Magnolia here but it died very quickly last year due to some kind of bugs. I wish to replace it in the middle- symmetry. And use same green giants and Rose of Sharon set up as in the Right retaining wall.

Pic 5 is my sad rendering of what it could look like. I messed up and added the 2 rose of Sharon's I was going to take out. so ignore that.

I feel the shapes and positions will look okay together- the symmetry, foliage types, flowering of the shrubs. I'm just looking for someone with a good eye for things. Thank you!

Comments (4)