SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
historian79

Planned Location of Seam - Should This Bother Me?

Danielle Gottwig
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We got measured for countertops today, and circumstances dictated that only DH was able to meet with the fabricator. I was at an emergency dental appointment (ouch). So I didn't hear explanations or ask questions.

The result is that we have now have a planned seam in a location I find disappointing - but I am not sure that I should worry.

OK, details -

It's a given, due to the size of quartz slabs, that we need a seam somewhere along this stretch of cabinets:

[30"Cab][24"DishW][36"SinkCab][30"Cab][7"Cab/Filler]

The first 30" cabinet+dishwasher+edge of the sink cabinet together make up a 60" stretch of open work area - the largest in the kitchen.

The fabricator recommended, and DH signed off, on a plan to place the needed seam in the middle of this work area (where the 30" cabinet and Dishwasher meet).

A seam was not included in my many fantasies about this stretch of counter. There are fantasies. I really like making cookies and bread.

However, the only alternative I see would be to put the seam closer to the sink. Is this an idea worth pursuing?

During the measure, DH did mention the possibility of a seam at the sink's midpoint; the fabricator did not like that suggestion.

DH did not ask whether the fabricator would consider running the seam along the sink cabinet edge (which would be 3" from the sink edge). So I don't know if this would be an option they would offer.

I can try to find out tomorrow. But I don't know if I should ask this, or just nod happily and be glad the fabricator wants to put the seam in such a sensible place. Am I being a little silly to worry about the seam on 60" of open counter, whatever my dough-rolling and bread-kneeding aspirations, when the sink is the prominent visual feature - and just as important for getting things done?

Comments (28)