SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cupofkindnessgw

Family Room Reveal

cupofkindnessgw
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

In January I asked for advice on a family room project. The before photos are here:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3650202/family-rm-ideas-desperately-neededplease-help-an-unimaginative-person?n=28

Our internet is down so I'm posting from my phone and the pictures from January are on my laptop.

That project is complete and I want to share the final result with you. We were not able to repaint or change the flooring at this time. Thank you for your ideas and suggestions, so helpful in steering me in the right direction.

Here are the recovered denim sofas, now white in a herringbone fabric called Jumper. You can also see the Bokhara rug from Erugsales.com. The coffee table is from Pottery Barn as are the small side tables and the beige chairs flanking the fireplace.

Here is a close up of the sofa fabric, the color is Cotton:

Here is a close up of the print, Jesus Mocked by Phillippe de Champaigne, 1654, a version of Ecce Homo. This image drove the colors of the room. I adore this painting.

If if you check out the older thread, you will notice the cluttered bookcase stuffed with gear and absolutely boring at the same time. Well, it's still a little boring but thanks to some wonderful suggestions its tidier and a tad bit more interesting:

Left side:

Middle section:

Left side:

And all the gaming gear that was cluttering the top:

There re is no pillow unturned in the great state of Texas. I've been to countless stores over the past six weeks looking for the right combination of patterns and colors. Finding the black and white pillows on CountryCurtains.com was pure luck. They are now discontinued but I called a Country Curtain shop in Ohio that pulled together and shipped these four pillows. They are gorgeous.

I I love the rug from Erugsales. A brilliant burgundy red. Thanks nosoccermom for that recommendation.

I I was hoping for a different beige in the Pottery Barn chairs, a little less yellow but I decided that in the interest of not creating an overly feminine room, these are just fine. Plus they are very comfortable. The lumbar pillow is too large, so the jury is out on this one.

I cannot add anymore pictures to this post, but this gives you an idea of how the room looks now. There are seven large doorways in the room leading all over the house. And where there aren't doors, there are windows. This has been a fun project, but I'm very tired of shopping for pillows and accessories. And my family is tired of hearing about them. I plan to keep working on the bookcase/entertainment center. We still have kids at home, so we need our shelves to hold those classics that must be read. Thanks again for your support and encouragemen!.

Comments (49)

• User
    8 years ago

Wow. It does not even look like the same space! You have transformed it into an elegant, sophisticated room that just looks very grown up (in a good way!). What a beautiful difference. I hope you spend many happy hours here.

cupofkindnessgw thanked User
  • Related Discussions

Please HELP me with my rooms! (colors, furniture, etc)

Q

Comments (1)
    I looked up the colour and found this picture on houzz, linked below, you probably have seen this before- I also came across this laundry room painted in rainwash, it's a paler shade but I love it. link is http://www.sandandsisal.com/2012/05/laundry-room-makeover.html you blog is amazing, I bookmarked it !! Here is a link that might be useful: sea salt kitchen
    ...See More

Family Room Built-Ins - Reveal

Q

Comments (58)
    I am very belatedly returning to this thread, as I turn to the next project in the room. clairebuoyant1, karenseb, wma89, amck2, dilly_ny, caminnc, gsciencechick, debbi branka, louisianapurchase - Thank you for the lovely things you've said, big smile on my face as I reread them:) beachpea3 - Glad you saw this! I would love to have you over to see in person, but please give me a few days notice for a thorough cleaning:) arcy_gw - After having lived with the molding, I agree with you! We'll be redoing this. One of the projects for this spring.
    ...See More

Living room reveal : )

Q

Comments (53)
    Littlebug, the ottoman cover was something I put together. It stays on pretty well, and is easy to smooth out when it gets rumpled. I stitched decorative buttons at each corner to help pull the fabric a little tighter, so it doesn't move too badly. After tickle time with one of the kids, it looked like this, for example. Thanks, peppapoodle, I wasn't sure if we were ever going to make it to "England" or not, lol. I'm glad everyone thinks it works. It's a very soothing space for us to relax in now. No artemis, we can't be spineless about our books here, can we. ; )
    ...See More

Before and After Living Room REVEAL

Q

Comments (19)
    I love your room. Two sofas or loveseats perpendicular to a fireplace is simply gorgeous. I have a "very important question," LOL. Where did you move the fish tank? I have a 12-gallon all enclosed tank similar to yours. I'm working on shoehorning it into the living room before winter. It will hold one Beta fish and a half-dozen or so Raspbora tetras, my favorite small tank combo.
    ...See More
  • Errant_gw
    8 years ago

It's lovely! And the new upholstery on the sofas looks wonderfully done :)

cupofkindnessgw thanked Errant_gw
  • User
    8 years ago

What a gorgeous room! Love your choices. :)

cupofkindnessgw thanked User
  • amykath
    8 years ago

Two words....magazine worthy!

cupofkindnessgw thanked amykath
  • Peppapoodle
    8 years ago

So beautiful! All your hours of searching & shopping paid off big time for you.

Enjoy!!

cupofkindnessgw thanked Peppapoodle
  • mustangs81
    8 years ago

Seriously fabulous! Good job.

Now you will be responsible for dispensing remodeling ideas.

cupofkindnessgw thanked mustangs81
  • blfenton
    8 years ago

Love, love, love the dramatic look of the white couches on the red area rug. Just love it.

cupofkindnessgw thanked blfenton
  • tibbrix
    8 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous. I thought that first pic was going to be your "inspriation" pic!

Really love the sofas.

cupofkindnessgw thanked tibbrix
  • Tmnca
    8 years ago

Gorgeous - great job!

cupofkindnessgw thanked Tmnca
  • jlc712
    8 years ago

It looks fantastic. Well done! Your sofas look so, so good, and the rug was a great choice.

cupofkindnessgw thanked jlc712
  • OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

Love it! A dramatic look, yet very inviting. The rug and pillows are perfect!

cupofkindnessgw thanked OutsidePlaying
  • cupofkindnessgw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you so much for everything! I am very surprised that everything worked and owe so much to all of you. Since my family isn't into design and color quite like I am, I really appreciate the comments. Ingrid recommended that I should hang more art, and I will be on the lookout for pictures to hang above the accent chairs, just don't have the energy for that now. And I am grateful for the kind employees at Pottery Barn, Pier One, Hobby Lobby, TJ Maxx, Tuesday Morning, Michaels, Joann's, Lamps Plus, Lowes... the list goes on and on. These folks smiled as I brought back things I purchased the day before, over and over again. A big shout out to Country Curtains for their classic, traditional things. I love that place and their great customer service. My upholsterer did a fabulous job, so professional and personal. What a great find.

Going with white sofas seemed a little risky but also like playing it a little too safe. There are a lot of beautiful greige tufted sofas out there, and it was tempting to buy a new instead of recovering the old ones. the Jumper fabric is what sold me. Two upholstery folks told me that they have Jumper in their homes, and have for 15-20 years. It's Crypton treated, meaning that the polyester material is made stain-resistant while in a chemical state, before the fiber is even created. And tested for 50,000 double rubs and available in 150 colors. The sofas are as soft as they look and the pillows don't slide on them. I am very grateful that I went with white. The seat cushions seem a little puffy, but I'm sure that will flatten out. There is a slight curve to the front of the sofas. Time will tell if I made the right choice.

Reg rugs, so many "reds" out there. I found that most reds were more terra cotta then I wanted, so the Bokhara rugs were the best choice. And the $249 rug from eSalesRugs.com was the one thing that tied everything else together. We must keep accessories to a minimum because of our dog's powerful tail. Not sure about these coffee table knick knacks yet, might be in that wag zone.

I think we will feel quite at home with this white/black/red/beige color scheme for quite a while. Thanks again to all for your kind comments. They are greatly appreciated!

• Olychick
    8 years ago

Wow, it looks spectacular. I've been thinking about recovering my sectional, but haven't found any fabric I love as much as what's on there. I'm very interested in what you used and am going to see if I can find it locally. I want a light color, but since I care for my grandson and he has friends over, I've been procrastinating on making a decision. Sounds like the Jumper fabric might be perfect - I love it on your sofas and in your room.

cupofkindnessgw thanked Olychick
  • juddgirl2
    8 years ago

What a beautiful room!

cupofkindnessgw thanked juddgirl2
  • lizbeth-gardener
    8 years ago

Very well done! The sofas are gorgeous! I love how the rug pulls it all together and warms up the room. And those pillows are perfect-isn't it great when you can track down something like that and people go the extra mile to get them to you? I think you are a bit too modest about your decorating skills!

cupofkindnessgw thanked lizbeth-gardener
  • cat_mom
    8 years ago

LOVE!!!

It looks high style, yet highly inviting at the same time! Fabulous room!

cupofkindnessgw thanked cat_mom
  • eandhl2
    8 years ago

Cupof, you did a beautiful job!

cupofkindnessgw thanked eandhl2
  • smalloldhouse_gw
    8 years ago

Wow, what a makeover! It's a really beautiful room. I love every detail!

cupofkindnessgw thanked smalloldhouse_gw
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

Well done!

cupofkindnessgw thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

Beautiful! Your sofas are truly swoon worthy. I noticed the lovely curve on the front of them.

cupofkindnessgw thanked Holly- Kay
  • laughablemoments
    8 years ago

Wonderful job! I was just thinking of you this week, that now it's March and your shower is coming up, and hoping for updated pictures. Lo and behold, they're here! : ). Thanks for the update, and for explaining the Jumper fabric. It sounds like great material.

cupofkindnessgw thanked laughablemoments
  • awm03
    8 years ago

cup, it's fantastic. What a beautiful space you've made!

$249 for that fabulous rug? Wow, pat yourself on the back for that one. It's my favorite thing in your room: so rich looking and sets off the red in your painting.

What's the wall color? It's a beautiful shade of white.

cupofkindnessgw thanked awm03
  • jewelisfabulous
    8 years ago

You have created a very serene, beautiful room! My only suggestion is that you pull the books to the front of the shelf; it's the proper way to shelve your books.

cupofkindnessgw thanked jewelisfabulous
  • cupofkindnessgw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Laughable, I couldn't part with our Little House on the Prairie books! : ) Lynn posted the picture of that epic bookcase on my last thread, it was an amazing source of encouragement to shake things up. I did let go of a lot of books, but we have more tucked all over. What needs to happen next is painting the back wall of the bookcase and perhaps adding things to the top, if I can ever get my DH to part with his beloved speakers (at least they match the walls). I've pulled the books to the edge of the shelves (thanks Jewels) and found a pair of charming antique-y bookends to put face out on the shelves to add interest. I would love to buy an ottoman/pouf or two, but the budget is spent for the time being. Today is cut-the-tags-off-the-pillows day, so the Country Curtains pillows are forever mine. It's time to focus on the rest of the house, the shower is tomorrow. Thanks again for your gracious remarks, you all are kinder than I deserve.

• DYH
    8 years ago

Stunning! Congratulations! Not only does the room look fabulous, but it's so inviting.

cupofkindnessgw thanked DYH
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    8 years ago

This is a wonderful effort, hardly recognizable as the same room, and I can appreciate how much hard work must have gone into this. The chairs flanking the fireplace are a nice touch because they echo the color of the marble surround.

I know you must be sick of working on this room, but as soon as I saw the first picture my reaction was that you basically have two colors in this room, red and white. In order to give the room depth and loosen up the formality I think you may need a third accent color. Most decorators work with three colors, and the third color will be only small touches here and there, but they make a big impact. The easiest fix right now might be two faux green plants in beige or brown containers standing at each end of the hearth. Soft green candles instead of the stark white on either side of your painting in addition would also soften the look. Of course it's lovely as it is in case you don't agree or don't have the time to make these additions.

cupofkindnessgw thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • cupofkindnessgw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Good advice, Ingrid... I do feel that the hearth area looks a little lonely and the effect of plants, even faux, is a welcome one. Great idea. Now that I am attuned to this room, it will be easier to add things over time, for now, I'm grateful that my sofas, which arrived yesterday, are here in time for the shower. Thank you!

8 years ago

I think your guests will be astounded by the changes. You have a room you can be really proud of.

cupofkindnessgw thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • jewelisfabulous
    8 years ago

What are your plans for lighting this beautiful room?

cupofkindnessgw thanked jewelisfabulous
  • cupofkindnessgw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I just bought these maidenhair ferns at the grocery store. I've always loved this sort of plant and the floral lady assured me they would do well in low light conditions. Also following Ingrid's advice, I purchased celery green candles. Sidenote: I nearly matted the print in a sage green color. On art.com, the pale green complemented the painting beautifully. Thanks, Ingrid!

Jewel,

At this point, lighting is a 3-bulb brass and walnut Casablanca ceiling fan in the center of the room, the hearth light shining on the picture, and the lamp on the bookcase. The room is fairly bright during the day because all the other rooms around the family room have windows. We do not have any in floor outlets where we can plug lamps in, however there is an outlet on the mantle. With our crazy dog, we have to be careful of cords. What do you think?

• jewelisfabulous
    8 years ago

I really, really love both ambient and task lighting in addition to general illumination to make a room feel cozy and well-lit at night. So, if this were my room and it were at all possible, I'd look into getting some floor outlets installed so you could have table lamps by your sofas.

• starnold
    8 years ago

Beautiful! Personally I think less is more and like the clean spare look of the fireplace wall, it makes your art work above the fire place a dynamic focal point.

• chickadee2_gw
    8 years ago

So elegant! Great job! Come back and tell us all the compliments you received at the shower.

• goldendoodle56
    8 years ago

Wow, the changes are just stunning, can't believe it's the same room! I think the two sofas facing each other are perfect and will be such a welcoming spot for guests.

• Laurie Gordon
    8 years ago

You've achieved a lovely inviting room, enjoy the new space.

8 years ago

I'm delighted with the softening effect of the candles and ferns. Even my husband liked it much better! So happy at how well this turned out.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Wow, it looks absolutely stunning. I just love the colors and am so glad that the Bokhara worked for you. The room looks so comfortable and classy. Hope you enjoy it for many, many years!

• Susan Rawlings
    8 years ago

I LOVE that rug.

• User
    8 years ago

Very striking room, wonderful changes! Love that herringbone fabric, we have it in a cotton blend on a couple of sofas and it wears like iron! I must say that the plants and candlesticks look very lost on your hearth and mantel and the green color really detracts from your otherwise striking color scheme. There's no point in creating a very high style look and then trying to "soften" it or make it look "homey," iykwim. The stark emotion of your print needs no other accoutrements, IMO.

Great job on your room redo, I know from reading the other thread you had very limited time and I think you achieved amazing results.

• eandhl2
    8 years ago

Beautiful setting for the shower!

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

The room is visually stunning and functionally comfortable. I'm with kswl on (not) trying to soften the look. The softness of the fabrics and the colors of the books add all the comfort that's necessary IMO. I could, however, see some brass/gold on the table.

• cupofkindnessgw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm sorry that I haven't visited this thread lately. I've been busy catching up with the rest of life since so much was on hold on getting ready for the shower. I will be back soon for more comments. Thanks again to everyone! : )

• l pinkmountain
    8 years ago

GWCK, that little house bookend is so wonderful! I love that type of cast iron book end. My friends gave me a set that is a replica of the lions that sit outside the NYC Public Library, and I have an old set of sailing ship ones that were in my brother's room as a kid. Decorating bookshelves is fun and frustrating at the same time. You start off with some decorations, and they if you are a bibliophile like me, you get some books and then it starts all over again. You pare down and swear to mend your ways, and then a book comes into your life again . . .

I didn't catch the "before" photos but I love the deep scarlet red and the couch coverings! Although I am a spiller so I could never enjoy such couches other than to visit them! I also love the fireplace tiles, beautiful colors. Is that new too?

• User
    8 years ago

I've been looking at bookends on eBay today for my new shelves, and found these (not what I'm looking for though). They are sweet! I believe they're identical to the OP's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-VINTAGE-1930s-ORNAWOOD-BOOKENDS-WOOD-CARVED-/252317012137?hash=item3abf4410a9:g:Bz4AAOSwZQxW4w3C

• Annegriet
    8 years ago

Gorgeous!

• PRO
    Rajrang
    8 years ago

These are wonderful pictures gardenwebcupofkindness! The room is looking so stunning! I liked the way you used burgundy red and black for the pillows. You really turned it into a fabulous space for living.

• cupofkindnessgw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It's been well over a year since we redecorated the family room and I wanted to report that it's been a fabulous change. On a daily basis we cover the sofas with a fleece blanket unless we are expecting guests. The white blanket is the same color, so while the tufting is lost under it, it doesn't change the feel of the room. It's not a slip cover but it does the job. It was a good decision to keep the dog off of the sofa. Love the pottery barn chairs-still comfy. We love the room and it accommodates every gathering need we have. What a blessing!

• User
    6 years ago

I'm just now seeing this. It looks very nice and I like the paint color as is! I think it's a great backdrop for everything.