SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bird_of_paradise

"C&S Addicts Anonymous"

OMG! What the heck is wrong with me, holding onto a puny Tanzanian Zipper cutting, given to me 2 years ago, that won't grow? and has no roots! LOL!!!

Please share your quirky, borderline, questionable C&S excesses here. Mediators welcome.

Comments (4)

• Maria Elena (Caribbean - USDA Zone 13a)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Good morning,

LMAO...Can I say that?

• nomen_nudum
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Good morning can be said as it is going to be morning somewhere, but as it's no longer a good morning here as it's a good afternoon saying ' Good afternoon" would also apply.

Personally I don't mind having a lesser than healthy looking succulent hang around for a season or two. If me, for this season, I'd focus the attention on the nice looking cacti in the pot over the other. ( Huneria ?) I would have it in a different pot ASAP for some TLC for this season ( or two ) In short if it doesn't start performing after this season it might not make it to the second, it would simply have to go Vs. wasting time/effort/ plant space on something that can be replaced.

Maria Elena (Caribbean - USDA Zone 13a) thanked nomen_nudum
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Nomen,

LOL...It wasn't the "Good morning" I was asking about ;-0. This is meant to be a lighthearted, whimsical post.

Thank you for your suggestions. Are Huneria and Huernia the same? I googled it and find the same succulent. If so, I have these. Now I'm questioning what the correct name is!

The one pictured is not a Huernia at all. It is, in fact a scrawny Tanzanian Zipper. It's in a teeny, tiny starter pot, so takes up no room at all. I believe it has a strong will to live but never made roots. It just dawned on me that perhaps I should slice off the bottom, allow to callous over, dust with cinnamon, and repot...just to see what happens. It's been 2 years, after all!

Here's how it looked when I first received it (front left):

My Cactus & Succulents · More Info

The little "burs" you see in the same pot of the original photo are actually tiny Echinopsis pups just pulled off the mother plant...I like to groom them for Spring, when they throw off tons of new pups. They are fine and come off the mom with their own aerial roots...just very tiny. I'll separate them from the other if I decide to lance.

Thanks again...All the very best to you.

- Maria Elena

Original Author
    8 years ago

This thread got buried, so I'm bumping it up. Please share your goofy plant quirks here.

By the way, my little Tanz never did grow roots. Once I cut off the bottom and attempted to root it, it just shriveled up and died. :-/