SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
allyhebert

New house, mass planting front landscape.

Allyson Hebert
8 years ago

We moved into our newly built home about 2 months ago... looking to begin softening up the front landscape. I plant to start with just the spots in front the brick along the house. I want a simple, "romantic", cottage-style look... Maybe one shrub mass planted, with some different ground covers like geranium creeping thyme, etc. I really REALLY wanted to mass plant white hydrangeas, but this area is south-facing and gets full sun all day long. Now I am looking into mass planting roses... either Iceberg roses or Belinda's Dream rose. The thing holding me back from the iceberg roses is that I have read multiple posts about them not withstanding the humidity here in south Louisiana. And that the Belinda's Dream grows better. At first I wasn't keen on a pink rose against red brick, but the more I look at photos, the more I like the soft pink of the Belinda's Dream with maybe a blue phlox or georgia blue veronica... maybe even some lavender. What do you guys think? Or suggest? I don't want a busy bed, just a clean, simple, soft look.

Other shrubs I was thinking of - camellia, plumbago...

I am in South Louisiana, zone 9. Clay soil.

The guy who graded the yard put the dirt up too high by the house... we will be taking it back a bit and leveling it better. I don't think you can tell in the picture, but it is pretty steep up to the house. So the dirt will lower against the house than it is in this picture.

Comments (2)

Sponsored