SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bunnyemerald

Cat microchip and weird clock radio behavior?

Bunny
8 years ago

Can a microchip in a cat affect electronics?

I have a 20-ish year old clock radio on my bedstand. It has battery backup, but the power where I live is so stable that it rarely goes out. The battery was dated 2007 and I just took it out (see below).

I'm an early riser, but sometimes set my alarm for 6 or 6:30. I use the radio for the wake-up noise, rather than the obnoxious buzzer.

^^ This is Zephyr, the male half of my twin cats. Sometimes he wants me to get up before I'm ready. If he senses I'm awake early, he will start his "rounds." His rounds are essentially walking across all the flat surfaces in my bedroom until it becomes too annoying to ignore and I finally get up.

Zephyr is microchipped.

Weird instance #1

A couple of days ago, around 5:30 a.m., Zephyr is making the rounds and is on my bedstand. There is a single noise, kind of a loud, low beep. Just one. WTF! I look around, pretty sure the noise came from my clock radio, not scheduled to go off (with radio) for another 30 minutes. Maybe I dreamt it? I figured there was a slight possibility I dreamt it.

Weird instance #2

This morning I was awake from about 4:30, trying to get back to sleep. Zephyr started cruising around and was standing on the nightstand when BOOP BOOP!! That noise again, only two of them. I was definitely not dreaming. It came from the radio. Zephyr was within inches of the radio.

I cannot figure this out. I did remove the old battery, thinking possibly it could have caused a weird malfunction.

Is it remotely possible that Zephyr's microchip frequency triggered the clock radio alarm to go off all on its own?

Comments (18)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus