SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilaine_gw

Coming back at this from a different direction - tradeoffs

ilaine
8 years ago

Three months ago I was brimming over with anticipation of creating my dream kitchen. I had been working for nine years at a high paying job, was expecting at least another seven. Two months ago, laid off, out of the blue. Had enough cash saved up to make it if I only spent it on absolute necessities. Lined up another job, starting next month, pays about the same, still need to redo kitchen, but now my priorities have changed. Lowering my sights.

Present kitchen is not just dated, it's becoming decrepit. Cabinets falling apart, formica counter grungy, the tile backsplash was done by a rank amateur. When we sell the house, probably 11 years from now (when husband retires), it would really bring down the resale value, and having several years in a nicer kitchen means doing it sooner rather than later.

It needs to be redone, and I want quality, but taking on a huge expense terrifies me. Probably helps that I like plain, not fancy, just good. I look at houses around me selling on Zillow, it looks like the realtors all advise putting in granite (which I don't want), and a combo with a microwave over a four burner electric stove (which I also don't want). No gas here, so electric or induction is the way to go, and I want induction.

Other than that all I feel is like a deer in the headlights, not knowing which way to jump. I can't think of any way to do it but all at once, getting at those tiles probably means gutting the walls down to the studs, which means ripping out the cabinets AND the counters, which means having everything lined up in advance, which means a heavy commitment of money up front, but I can tap some home equity.

Any help thinking this through would be appreciated.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations