SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dina_desveaux

"Need advice on choosing a ground cover"

The great debate in my head: should I underplant one of my rhododendron trios with Lamium "Shell Pink" or with Epimedium Sulfureum?

If it helps, this particular trio colour palette is purple, white, purple.

I await for your wisdom in gratitude.

Ready, set and....Go!

-Dina

(aka the 'pajama gardener')

Comments (7)

• Dina Desveaux (zone 6, Nova Scotia, Canada)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

In case you want visuals - here's the epimedium:

Original Author
    8 years ago

And the lamium

Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the tip, laceyvail! I have grown lamium also, but epimedium is new to me so I appreciate any feedback to help with my decision.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    8 years ago

Epimediums are great plants--I must have abut 30 different ones, and that barely scratches the surface. If you get really interested in them, you'll want to get the catalog from Garden Visions.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks again! Wow, 30--you must have a large garden! We are on a 3-acre lot on a lake though only about 3/4 acre of garden beds. And I could use a new ground cover. Now to find the perfect spot!! I also just added my zone and place which I thought was there, but disappeared. As you can see, I'm from Canada and Garden Visions doesn't ship here....However, I've heard my Prime Minister is going to the White House for a state dinner this week. I wonder if I could convince him to add that to the agenda:) Cheers! -Dina

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    8 years ago

Not all epimediums are groundcover types. Many are clumpers and are VERY slow to expand. (You might still enjoy drooling over the catalog!)