SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

So, I thought I was home free, but….

prairiemoon2 z6b MA
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I decided on which lights, got them home, set them up in the basement with a fan and a heat mat, have been growing under them for about a month. Everything was looking great. I had germination, they looked healthy, a few six packs didn't germinate which I still have to figure out, but two mornings ago, I went down to check on the seedlings and I find missing plants. Stubs of stems on 3 Carmen peppers, a missing tiny Heliotrope seedling, some gazania leaves looking chewed or broken, but no leftover pieces of the plants or the leaves.

I must have sat there for a half hour trying to figure out what was the explanation for it and I came up with nothing. I have these large Bok Choys and Kale that were untouched too. All I could think was that somehow, maybe they had developed some kind of wilt over night, but wouldn't the dead seedlings still be in their cells? And where were the missing leaves? Maybe the fan, blew them away.

This morning I go downstairs and my final 4 New Ace Pepper seedlings - stubs for stems on 3, one seedling left and it had a chewed off leave and part of the leave lying on the six pack. So now I have no pepper seedlings out of two six packs. But now I definitely think something is chewing them up. I know I am in the basement with them, but I rarely see a bug, and usually it's a spider.

I did have them outdoors two days when it was warm, so now I am wondering if I brought something in with them. But if so, where the heck is it hiding, I don't see anything. I thought I was safe from bug damage in the house!

Has anyone had this problem or have a suggestion? And is it too late to start peppers over? But I don't want to have the same trouble. I have no idea how to catch the culprit or protect them from damage.

Comments (13)