SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bgaviator

Help needed for bare shady spot with erosion problems

bgaviator
8 years ago

Hello,

(image included at bottom of post)

I need to figure out something to do fast with this section that is at the top of my hill. This is the east side of my house. Growing zone 7B. In between my house and some bushes/trees growing on the side of my hill which drops off steely just beyond my houses foundation. The bushes and house create too much shade to where it seems the Bermuda grass can't survive. Some Bermuda seems to always creep in during the summer, but it turns back to a muddy mess in the winter. Since this is clay soil, every time it rains more of the ground seems to wash away, so I need to get this stopped since it's close to the foundation of my house.....and expensive retaining walls are out of the question right now, but they will happen eventually down the line.

Here are my two thoughts.....1, try to get some Zoysia sod or plugs as I've heard Zoysia can tolerate more shade. See if that takes hold.....or 2. Put some pavers down to create a walkway down the middle, and put a dwarf Mondo Grass Nana down. What do you think will work better? Also, if the Mondo route is an option, will the Mondo Nana every become invasive enough to where it will start spreading into the Bermuda grass, or is that something not to really worry about in this situation? Thanks everyone.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH