SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prestonator

Home Inspection Headaches

prestonator
8 years ago

We are in the due diligence period of a home purchase. Unfortunately, the home inspection revealed a surprising breadth of deferred maintenance issues and other assorted problems--ranging from rather minor (forget about it) to somewhat significant concerns related to plumbing, wiring, roofing, crawl space. There doesn't appear to be one HUGE deal breaker, but there are many things that just need to be resolved. We are having a contractor estimate cost of repairs/replace as needed. And you should know we made a very generous offer that already rewards the seller with a tidy profit for a home they just bought 2 years ago. So they are "getting" virtually full asking price at the moment. My concern is this: what should truly guide my decision about walking away or to what level we negotiate with the seller. Please don't tell me to have my agent counsel me. Yes, this person "represents" me, but let's be honest: the realtor, understandably, is motivated by closing on a commission so will be extremely biased in counseling us to "be reasonable"--which is really code speak for please don't ask for too much so I lose my commission. In short, what principles must we apply in making a good decision here?

Comments (37)