SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ewwmayo

That's it, I'm watering you!

ewwmayo
8 years ago

After many months of waiting for these lumpy plants to absorb their old leaves, I'm finally giving up and have started watering them again. Not sure if it's the right call - happy to hear any suggestions and what you all are up to with yours!

Cheiridopsis pillansii -Old leaves finally all dried up. Hoping to now fatten these guys up and get them taller!

Cheiridopsis denticulata - Old leaves are almost gone and it's clumping up nicely. Started watering lightly and going to go for size, rather than minimizing leaf pairs.

Cheiridopsis peculiaris - Really have no idea what to do with this one. Still can't figure out which form the new leaves are, but waiting for the old leaves to absorb was taking months and seemed to be a waste of time.

It looks to have started growing multiple heads, so I'm really hoping these leaves are new tall/skinny upper pairs.

Pleiospillos nelii - Was hoping that this one would finish absorbing its old leaves as the new ones come in, but it's just stalled its progress. It's looking quite flat and the old leaves are fairly soft. However, I've read that these won't flower if not given any water in the winter?

It seems like most photos show nelii flowering from their second pair of leaves. If I get a third pair of leaves instead of a flower, this one will go back on a diet.

Would love to hear how everybody's nelii are going!

Fenestraria rhopalophylla - From four leaves to this size now, it's hard to keep up with this one. I never really stopped watering it, but have been increasing how often to water this one to keep it more plump and less purple.

Lapidaria margaretae - Been trying to get this one to absorb two old pairs of leaves, but it's been going slowly. I'm thinking of watering it lightly to keep it going, instead of having it go completely dormant?

Not sure how much the old leaves have to dry up before they are 'abandoned' by the plant. Haven't been able to find any photos of them online. Can't tell if the inner growth is another flower or leaves.

Anybody have experience with old dried Lapidaria leaves?

Gibbaeum dispar - The new flower buds and heads are coming along well! Several old leaves have dried up to husks. There are still some old leaves present, but I think growing these larger and then withholding water later will be a faster way of getting them to dry up completely.

I completely stopped watering my other Gibbaeum after it flowered and now it's shaping up. It had several pairs of VERY large leaves which have shrunk to 1/3 their original size.

Lithops terricolor C345 - This one started splitting just after I received it and the old leaves are all dried up already. The old leaves were very greyish and plain, but the new ones are a very pretty brown!

All my other Lithops are still absorbing their old leaves. As they progress, I'll have to take some photos to show the difference between old and new.

And that's it for now!

Comments (14)