SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
themockturtle

Fast draining mix (Gritty or something similar) for Hoyas

themockturtle
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I am experimenting to find a suitable mix for my Hoyas (and myself). I made up a mix with bark, red lava rocks, Turface, and Perlite (3:1:1:1 ratio).

I read a lot about Al's Gritty mix on various GardenWeb forums. I appreciate the concept of the mix (providing air to the roots, long lasting components, adjustability to water requirements etc.). My issue so far, like many people who tried the Gritty Mix experience initially, is the amount of water required to properly hydrate each pot, and having to deal with a lot of water drained through the pots. I know this is a bigger issue with young or newly transplanted plants that have not established the root system in the medium. The frequency of watering decreases as the plants get more established. And many people end up loving the mix. But, compared to media with finer particles, there will always be more water to deal with. Gritty Mix users say that it's a trade-off between plant's health and growers' convenience. Right now, I can water as often as needed, but I won't always be able to. I'm planning to have some Hoyas outside where water draining is not an issue, but most of my Hoyas will be grown indoor. I'm thinking about placing pots in net trays raised off a catch tray, so the pots won't sit in water when I don't have time to drain the catch tray.

I am also wondering how some of the species who like to be on the drier side grow in this type of mix. I know some members here use something similar. I would love to hear about your experience with growing Hoyas in (super) fast draining mix without fine particles. Some questions I have are:

How often do you water on average indoor once the plants are established (I know this depends largely on environmental factors)?

Do you let dry-loving species (like obovata) dry out in this mix, or water them just like other middle of the road Hoyas since there's less worry of overwatering in this mix?

For those who use Turface, I am a bit worried that if I let this mix dry out, Turface may actually pull some moisture from the roots. Am I being paranoid?

Do you have a system to deal with drained water?

Do you hate watering in this type of mix? :)

Do you have a special recipe you love?

On the other hand, I rather like the mix one of my Hoyas came in from Gardino. It looks like a mix of bark mulch (very different from the roundish bark I have, these are more flat with lots of fines), Perlite, and maybe Osmocote. It's very airy, but more forgiving and requires less water because water permeate throughout the pot readily.

I let my fitchii dry out in this medium and it's growing fast. I can make a similar mix very cheaply. I found a local nursery that sells similar bark. So, my mock Gritty mix costs a lot to make, and watering is a hassle. I'm tempted to give up on the Gritty unless it's really a superior medium to use for Hoyas.

Whew, I'm sorry that was a long post. Thanks in advance for your input.

Comments (36)

Sponsored