SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
megan_goldstein2013

Rough Cost Estimate for a 1,800 Square Foot Ranch Style House?

Hi Everyone!

My husband and I are looking to do an owner build of a 1,800 square foot ranch style house on land we own in rural Kentucky in a few years. We have already picked out our plan. Its a 3 bedroom, 1 + 3/4 bath, rather basic, rectangular ranch house with a carport and basement. The plan we picked is a USDA plan drafted back in the 1960's and was sourced from the North Dakota State University Cooperative Extension website.

https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/aben-plans/7161.pdf

What is a ballpark estimate on materials costs? Every cost estimation website that I have looked at prices a house this size FAR higher than what similar sized new construction is selling for in the area. We have quite a few connections with electrical, HVAC, plumbing and framing people in the local area so finding labor isn't going to be an issue. Plus, my husband has a lot of carpentry experience from building specialty packing crates for his job.

The only area of the house that we plan on spending extra money on is the kitchen, which in the plan is quite large. We want to use the kitchen for home preservation of large amounts of garden produce in the summer so we are planning on putting in two basic electric ranges and maybe an extra dishwasher.

We plan on using average grade materials for the house. However, we do not want to use carpet because using laminate or hardwood will be cheaper in the long run.

Does anyone have any tips/advice for such a project? My husband and I are both logisticians by trade and aside from some building trades courses my husband took in high school, we don't have much experience with construction.

Comments (14)