SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
halfwaythere1

Coastal cottage cabinets

Halfway There
8 years ago

It's been a few years but I'm back to get advice from the best KDs in the world, the GWers. We just bought a condo on the beach in FL and I'm going full on coastal cottage.... Painted cabs and open shelving. Lots of cream, turquoise and pale green. I had a GC measure and give an estimate of 12k for cabinets with install alone and its made in China stuff. It's a tiny kitchen with only two 12 inch uppers and a wood hood. The rest of the upper space will be DIY open shelves. 12k is not happening. Does anyone have a recommendation for a reasonably priced cabinet co that carries either beadboard or louver style painted cabinets that ship assembled? I have a contractor friend that will install. I'm finding many RTA but I'd rather preassembled. Thanks so much.

Comments (63)

• Halfway There
    Original Author
    8 years ago

A few screenshots of layout. Suggestions are welcome.

• Halfway There
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• Related Discussions

Southern Coastal Maine Summer Cottage Paint Colors // Opinions

Q

Comments (9)
    I don't know who made the cabinets - previous owners had them installed. They were about ten years old when we moved in and we started having problems immediately - top hinges coming loose and the door pivoting on the bottom hinge and breaking that. And the hinges are Blum which is a reputable brand. 15 years past that now and haven't been able to replace them - four children to launch into the world. Meanwhile, the chipping and heat-related delamination are accelerating. The townhouse we lived in before that had woodgrain thermofoil cabinets - they were only five years old and they were even worse because the particle board core would actually crumble at hinges and joints. Particle board is weak, weak stuff. And heavy. The other thing about plastic which is what Thermofoil is, is that grease really clings to it. It smudges from your hands and the cooking vapors grease it up. My mother's sixty year old varnished wood cabinets are far easier to keep clean, and the hinges and joints have never failed. Honestly, you're better off with wood cabinets and a laminate counter, than laminate cabinets and granite counter. The granite counter will just make the cabinets look cheap. If budget is an issue now, much easier to upgrade counter later, than cabinets.
    ...See More

Inspiration for me: coastal or lakefront cottage pics

Q

Comments (44)
    Well this is just going to torture me. There is a New England cottage featured in Country Living a few yrs ago that is the perfect combination of color and serenity and for the life of me I can't find it! My family may not eat tonight because I will still be searching for this house.
    ...See More

SL Coastal Cottage Master Bath

Q

Comments (23)
    Wow! I thought you were posting a picture of a magazine bath. It looks like a home from the early 1900's. I love the high ceilings and the window! The lighting is amazing. PLEASE keep sharing photos!
    ...See More

Coastal Cottage Porch addition

Q

Comments (7)
    Another vote to consult with an architect. Once you mention changing the roof, you need to bring one in. Also, since it would be a two-story addition, there are enough structural issues that you’d want to get their input. (Could be $$$). Sound like other people have done what you want to do. Can you post some examples so we can see? (and maybe you could talk to them about any logistical issues or costs. My experience is that people love to talk about their remodeling projects...almost endlessly ... ;)
    ...See More
  • Halfway There
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• Halfway There
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• Halfway There
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• rebunky
    8 years ago

No that is not my kitchen, that kitchen is from medallion/schuler brochure. It is very pretty! I do have an L shape with an island though. Mine is almost finished but the backsplash of course has been dragging forever. It's called on here ABB, stands for all but the backsplash.

I waited for the sale at Lowes to get mine. The sale was based on the price range of how much the cabinets are before the discount is applied. They also were doing a free sink base and free upgrade to paint. Then on top of everything they gave a 10% rebate coupon to lowes on the total that they mail to you on a plastic card. Oh yeah and I think we also got my dh contractor discount of another 5%.

Here's a tip that also brought my price down. I had picked another shaker style at first. Thicker molding, I think it was called Manhattan. I decided I liked the Sugar creek better as it looked more cottage style. It ended up a lot less and was one of the least expensive styles. So you might ask for the price of any other style you like and see if there is a difference. Although, those two door styles you like I suspect are in the highest price range because of the detailing.

I love your sketch up design! I tried to use the free program once and failed miserably. I don't have the brain power or patience to learn it. Your condo layout reminds me of tmnca's almost to a T. Here is her recent reveal. The only difference is her sink is on the pennisula and no bar stools.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3703891/ikea-laxarby-sektion-reveal?n=35

Halfway There thanked rebunky
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

I'm curious, halfwaythere. Do you really have enough space for the fridge wall? I'm also on Hutchinson Island (Island Village here) and that's why I ask, since about 80% of the oceanfront condos have roughly the same kitchen layout and it's pretty tight for stuff on facing walls, so unless you're at Islandia, the Princess, Island Dunes, Buttonwood, or IRP, I'm curious as to how you can make it all fit.

• Halfway There
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi writersblock! I didn't think I did until we saw a unit for sale in the building that did it. The sketchup model is exactly to scale and that little fake lady can walk around just fine. The trick is the pantry to the left of the fridge is only 15" deep, shallow enough to stop before the window, plus a 1 inch filler against the wall. The fridge is counter-depth too. With the cab to the left of it, the fridge is far away enough from the wall to open properly. It's by no means spacious, but enough to get the fridge off the opposite wall. The way the previous owners have it set up is fridge on opposite wall in the corner. When you open door it bangs against the wall with the window. I forgot to mention most important part! The electrical panel is currently behind the new fridge location and my master electrician friend will make the trip up to flip it around so it's in the hallway. I will lose the fridge water line but I'm ok with that.

• Halfway There
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh my gosh I looked up Island Village and I think we are neighbors. I'm in Dune Walk. Is that you next door? :)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

Thanks, halfwaythere. Yeah, everyone has the electrical panel in that annoying spot. It's going to look great, and one of the nicest things about it will be to have an unobstructed ocean view (assuming you've still got kitchen-in-a-box the way they were built.) :)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Not quite next door. We're across the street from Ocean Towers, so just the other side of the Dollman Tract. The ugly fourplex townhouses with the mansard roofs, that's us.

I love Dune Walk. It's so quiet and peaceful down there.

• Halfway There
    Original Author
    8 years ago

overhead view of fridge

• herbflavor
    8 years ago

I have some open display/ storage in a 2nd property[part time use] but I think you have too much openness. I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer.....but behind doors alleviates the issues with tiresome gazing at the same things...alleviates dusting/cleaning issues..which solves worry and time issues after an absence and having the reality of dusty cups/plates you are about to use upon arrival .....who wants to deal with that when you walk in the door??. Give yourself more doored cabinets and SOME open areas...even if you have to get cheaper wall cabinets to afford it..... It's a small space..adding the wall cabinets isn't going to affect the feel,really.....stick with 30 inchers with 15 in wide doors..no stile in the middle...you'd get a lot more mileage from one or two like that...even if you bought unfinished at Lowes and painted them yourself....

Halfway There thanked herbflavor
  • Halfway There
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh I googled Island Village and there must be one with the same name. The condos on the Intracoastal side of Dune Walk. Part of the reason we liked it is because it's so quiet on that end. That and dog beach right down the beach. So adorable to see them playing there.

• Halfway There
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks herbflavor for the suggestions. I'm open to anything, really. I'll take that into consideration. Yeah, I really don't want to dust.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

Yeah, someone had a plan to build a concierge condo/hotel up at the Ft Pierce inlet with the same name, but luckily that got replaced with the Square Grouper.

We're here (that's twelve-pole/Diamond Sands in the foreground):

• Halfway There
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the tips rebunky! And I know all about the ABB. I used to post here under the name halfwaythere but I lost it in the houzz merge. I was so wound up over the backsplash!!! I finally took my stylish friend who knows nthing about kitchens to the tile store after seeing my kitchen and she picked one out in 5 min! It's a pretty onyx and I had passed it 100 times without even considering it. Forest for the trees! It looks great in my kitchen. Wow, tmnca's kitchen is nearly identical. I wonder if we can get him or her to chime in here? I have so many questions!!!! The current layout of my kitchen has the sink where hers is but I'm moving it to the wall because of the peninsula seating. I notice she has corbels under her counter overhang which makes me think that she does have seating there, just no chairs in the pic. I wonder if the faucet prevents anyone from eating there. It does look like limited space behind the faucet. I really need the extra seating because I have lots of family that will drop in.

• Halfway There
    Original Author
    8 years ago

writersblock, I found it. Still so close. The condos by Dune Walk are called Ocean Bay, my mistake. As you can see I'm trying to fit 10 lbs of sausage in a 5 lb bag.

• Halfway There
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Okay so I'm taking heed to herbflavor's advice and eliminated the open shelves due to dust accumulation when the condo is not in use. It's not practical. I was thinking of doing glass uppers with lots of pretty things to display. I'll be posting a new layout tonight. I'd appreciate any input you may have. Thanks so much.

• Tmnca
    8 years ago

Your layout looks similar to ours! We went with closed uppers - I don't want to dust especially in the kitchen where cooking creates a film on everything eventually. I don't like glass doors in uppers because I personally don't find they make things look any bigger to me, and I don't want to have to put only attractive, arranged items in them.

Do you think you will gain much from having the small counter space to right of fridge? We did full pantry cabinets on both sides of the fridge because we have plenty of counter space in the L as it appears you do. But I can see how it helps balance the 15" deep pantry on the left, while having deeper lowers.

I think you may want more space between your sink and range, can you move the sink to the left?

Halfway There thanked Tmnca
  • Halfway There
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks so much for chiming in here tmnca! I really appreciate it. Our layout really is similar. I think yours is a bit wider, which is important. I'm in the midst of redoing the layout so ignore the one I posted. It's not good. My kitchen is 8'2" across, from oven wall to fridge wall. I think yours is wider. If you had 8'2" do you think it would be too tight if someone was cooking and someone else was looking in the fridge? I've got wiggle room to go further down with the oven, thereby shrinking the dining table space, which I'm OK with. Actually the way the kitchen comes now is just like your layout, with the sink on the peninsula. I moved it to the wall and I'm thinking of leaving as-is on the peninsula. Will save on plumbing costs too lol. I was just worried that the faucet would encroach on the space for middle seat at the peninsula. I couldn't tell from your picture if that was the case. Do you have seating at the peninsula? I saw corbels so I'm thinking you do. Could 3 people sit at the peninsula and eat comfortably? I do cook, so I want it to be functional. But it's our vacation home so the cabinets will not be filled to the brim like they are at home. (translation: full of stuff you think you need but never use). Just the necessities, i.e. wine corker and blender -- j/k. But we will have family in and out so a small dining set plus seating at the peninsula helps. I'll get that new layout up in a few. Also, if you have the dishwasher open, does it block off the entrance? Not that it's going to be open for a long time. I was just wondering if it bugs you there or is it OK.

So 3 things lol...

1) person at oven and person at fridge simultaneously (I'm kind of a get-out of my-kitchen-while-I'm-cooking gal)

2) faucet at peninsula blocking middle seat on peninsula

3) dishwasher open blocking entrance

I realize it's small so I have no delusions that we will all have a happy family dance party in the kitchen haha, but there are some things about my recently redone current kitchen that make me seethe and wish I had done it another way. If you tell me it's good, then it's good, because you're actually using it now.

OMG I just read what I wrote. If I say peninsula one more time take a shot of your favorite booze.

• rebunky
    8 years ago

HWT, LOL! You're hysterical. I will look forward to seeing the revised layout. Yes I would save the money moving plumbing and keep the sink on the "P". I won't say it!

Halfway There thanked rebunky
  • Halfway There
    Original Author
    8 years ago

LOL! I sounded like a whacko. Obsessing over a layout makes you crazy. Here is the new one. Stove slid down so not on same plane at fridge. Did full pantry due to increased counter space. All uppers will go to ceiling. Just too lazy to put them in it now. Not sure how many will be glass, Place setting looks ok in middle seat. At least there's no faucet in his plate. Overhang is 12" so have the option of going to 18 I guess. Cab next to DW is 15" trash pullout. I'm out of real estate over there for larger cabinet. Can put dishes and silverware away on right. Let me know what you all think. Open for suggestions.

• Halfway There
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• motherwallace
    8 years ago

I think that's a much improved design. If you are worried about the faucet encroaching on seating I'd increase the overhang a few inches. You don't necessarily have to go to 18". Mine is 14" and feels more than adequate - 16" would feel generous and save you a few inches. I agree with tmnca about the glass fronts.

Looking forward to seeing your selections!

Halfway There thanked motherwallace
  • mayflowers
    8 years ago

My U kitchen is similar. I have a table right behind my peninsula so we did away with the overhang in the remodel. I have 12" deep storage cabinets on the back of my peninsula, and the counter behind my faucet is 16". I just put down a placemat and it feels about right for dining. You need at least 4' between table and counter edge for chairs to fit back to back, without a walkway between them. You might consider using the peninsula for storage instead of seating and eliminating the hutch if that allows a larger table. With a larger table, people won't be trapped in their seats for the duration of the meal.

I put my pull-out trash cabinet between my sink and DW. I wanted to be able to stand at the sink and drop stuff into the trash. It's not a big deal to move to the left a few inches to load the DW. Or you might consider putting your trash to the right of your sink. I thought I would use the long peninsula counter for most of my prep but I still am on the counter left of the stove, which is only 30". I feel too far away from the stove when I prep on the peninsula.

Your range wall and upper cabinet placement look good. You don't have enough drawers, so change both door cabinets to drawers. You can store pots and pans in drawers. For your pantry cabinets, you could turn the end cabinet to open from the side, making it the full-length of the fridge and giving your fridge more of a built-in look. It only has to be 8"-12" deep if it's going to be for food storage, giving you a few more inches of breathing room in the entryway.

Halfway There thanked mayflowers
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

One thing I would consider as far as seating at the peninsula--do y'all really want to turn your backs on the ocean view and look at the kitchen as you eat?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

Oh, also, I forgot to say earlier that the dog beach at the Dollman tract is dognapper heaven. Never let your dog run loose there unless it's a pretty big dog, too big to pick up easily. I myself have seen happy puppies get scooped up and gone in a car before anyone realizes what happened.

• Halfway There
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi all! It's been a while and just wanted to post an update. We ended up going with our cabinet maker from Miami. We know and trust him and he does beautiful work. He agreed to make the 2.5 hour drive for us as it's our 3rd kitchen with them. He picked up another job from someone in the condo up there so it was a win-win. He was also thousands cheaper than Lowes or HD. I went with glass fronts and not with open shelves due to dust, as suggested. Here are some in-progress pics. I'll post final pics in the next few weeks. Thanks to all of you for the suggestions. It was much appreciated!

• Halfway There
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Checking the progress at the shop. Had to go with a "dirty" white as the quartz we are using is a weird white. It matched Behr "Shoelace" and he manually mixed a match in the shop using his paint, which is almost like automotive paint but without the high gloss. It came out great.

• Halfway There
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• Halfway There
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• Halfway There
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• Halfway There
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• Halfway There
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• Halfway There
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• Halfway There
    Original Author
    7 years ago

future tile mural over stove and backsplash tile

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

It's going to look great. I love the pendants.

• Halfway There
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks writer! They are from Pier 1 and are capiz shell. So fun. They do look a bit cartooney here, but in person you see the shells better

• christina222_gw
    7 years ago

Looks great! I'm just inland from you in PSL.

Halfway There thanked christina222_gw
  • amykath
    7 years ago

Looking great!!! Very beachy and beautiful!

Halfway There thanked amykath
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

Forgot to ask where you got your marble.

• Halfway There
    Original Author
    7 years ago
  • Halfway There
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Its a quartz. I shared that from my phone so not sure it worked. It from Pantai Granite. 7770 NW 32nd St, Doral, FL 33122, (305) 591-1995.

In person it doesn't look like marble. it has that that flat, non-translucent look that quartz has. That veining looked like undersea coral branches more than veining, which is why I picked it. It's really neat. I'll get a better pic of it.

• Halfway There
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Christina and akt

• kimihh
    7 years ago

It looks great! Even more spacious than your drawings implied it would. And your wall color matches your beautiful ocean view perfectly!

• Springroz
    7 years ago

I LOVE that countertop!! The entire kitchen is really cute.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

Thanks very much for the info about the quartz. I did wonder if it might be.

Halfway There thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • cpartist
    7 years ago

What a fun kitchen. I'm loving everything about it. The colors, the cabinets and especially those pendants and the crab backsplash.

• Halfway There
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Stick a fork in it, it's done! Thanks for your help, everyone. See new thread here.... http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/4272825/completed-coastal-cottage-beachy-kitchen?n=23