SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Pet Peeves when Clothes Shopping

Funkyart
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I never thought of myself as especially picky or high maintenance but I am starting to feel that that I must be -- otherwise I'd be finding this shopping easier and more fun! Here are my frustations.. what are yours?

• Sales clerks who jump on me and then hover as I shop! It aways makes me feel like they think I am there to shoplift! LOL I understand this is usually a management directive but I don't know anyone who likes to be smothered as they shop-- unless they've hired a stylist. Talbots and Chicos are two of the worst offenders ime. I want sales people visible and accessible but I like to browse in privacy. Until I try something on and want a new size, color, opinion, I'd prefer them to keep their distance!
  • Roll tabs on sleeves. I don't know why I dislike them so-- but I have since I was very young! They are everywhere and I think they instantly date a shirt.
  • Popover style shirts. Why? Can't you just take the buttons to the bottom? I don't mind this on henleys but please not in shirting material.
  • Acrylic wool blends. Really? If I am spending over $100 on a sweater, I don't expect acrylic in the mix. It pills. It cheapens the look. I don't like it.
  • Online photos that hide key elements - like how sheer a shirt is.
  • Cold shoulders. They are in ALL the department storest! When I was young and had great shoulders, I thought they were for older women.. now that I am "older women", I think they are for younger women.
  • 100% cotton is soooo hard to find. Why? I don't mind some lycra but that's about all I want mixed with my cotton.
  • Product images that don't allow you to zoom in and see the fabric. This is so important to me-- the weave, the pattern, I want to see it all!
  • Items that disappear from my shopping cart!!! OK. I know this is my fault.. but I am dismayed to see that between last night and early this morning, 3 items (only one of which was on sale) are no longer available and have been removed from my shopping carts!

Your turn!

Comments (48)

• graywings123
    8 years ago

Cold shoulders - had to google that. Yeah, not my style.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I am not a Michael Kors fan-- at least not in clothing-- but he's been big on them last season and this season. Even on wool sweaters!

• Related Discussions

It's Spring, aka 'The Pet Peeve' thread

Q

Comments (18)
    My contribution to this thread is less a pet peeve but more a casual observation about "selling". Though I am now out of the biz, I used to sell plants at the local farmers market and before that at our city's massive flea market. Before I set up shop I spent quite a bit of time doing research to figure out the best way to go about things. I also read everything I could get my hands on and all the printed word went on and on about how to treat your customers. I don't kiss a lot of you-know-what so I was concerned that my attitude would possibly rub some people the wrong way but then I noticed that some of the big shot vendors at the markets were people that in no way hid their rough-around-the-edges personalities. One guy was so rude that I wouldn't consider buying from him, but he always sold out and had a long line of loyal customers. People remembered him for his sourness AND the quality of his plants. And when someone wanted to buy something knowing full well they were only going to use it temporarily and then bring it back for a full refund - they never took advantage of him, he'd tell them just what to do with their plants and use a lot of foul language in the process. Now I don't think that everyone selling stuff needs to step over to the dark side, but at the same time everyone should be allowed to set their own limit as to how much they will endure. You can only be so nice, so much of the time. When I was coaching another newbie vendor at the flea market I would always point out that behind every flaky "customer" there is a person with money in their hand that wants to buy your product no questions asked. You have to develop the skill at getting rid of the people that only seem to want to waste your time. This approach won't fly in a brick and mortar store, but in open air markets you often get these people that aren't really there to buy anything and they don't mind tying up a lot of your time if they can.
    ...See More

My latest pet peeve..

Q

Comments (86)
    Self-involvement and rudeness to others always irritates me. But, I guess I'm not as nice as you, Bumblebeez. Recently, a lady literally ran to get in front of me, as I was walking down the aisle toward the check-out, cutting across another lane (it was at Walmart, where the check-outs are two per aisle). She then turned and smiled and said, "Oh, I didn't mean to cut in front of you." I said, "Yes, you did." She then said, shocked, "Oh, my God." I said, "That's okay. I'm sure your time is more valuable than mine." OTH, I think that Wal-Mart site is despicable. My SIL sent out a mass email with several of those pictures attached. One was of an elderly woman, naked from the waist up, with her breasts tucked into her pants waist. I cried at that picture because I could see my mother, who suffers from Alzheimer's doing the same. Of course the posters don't see any other explanation for such behavior other than the woman chose to appear in public that way, and hah-hah, isn't this funny? I responded to my SIL to please not forward any more of those emails to me. Dee
    ...See More

Pet peeve... I missed the ones posted the other day

Q

Comments (11)
    LOL Yeah! I swear the larger sizes were ALWAYS cheaper, and when we caught on to that, the companies switched it on us! DH says.. wait.. buy the bigger one, nope, look at the unit price kiddo! I too, have gotten down on my knees to check prices! ah, lunchlady, I was always stuck behind the peeps who waited till then end to scan their debit cards, fumble with the pen thingy, hitting wrong numbers for their pin and taking too long! All the while my check was already written out! lol I finally started using a debit card last year, but now may revert to old school and do checks again. I was spending too much money, cause every time the machine asked if I wanted cash back, I'd tap, SURe! give me twenty.. and then 20 bucks was gone in no time! lol
    ...See More

Pet Peeves - Not TV

Q

Comments (27)
    It drives me crazy to stand in the grocery line and wait while someone digs to find their money out to pay. Or for them to carry on a long conversation with the cashier after the have finally paid. Can't they see there are people waiting in line? OR, they forgot something and they want someone to go get it for them. I could go on and on about the grocery store. I know that certain cashiers are good and I try to go down their isle. So many crazy people these day. One day I was in a local grocery. There was a mom and daughter that had a huge cart full of groceries. I was behind them in line as they checked out. The cashier was clicking along when suddenly the lady handed her her card to see how much money was on it. There was only $17.00 and some change on it. There they were with all these groceries rang up, already bagged and in her cart and not enough money to pay for them. Here we are waiting in line behind her while she decides what to have taken off. The lady finally just left without taking anything. The cashier had worked so hard to help her. There was an older gentleman behind me that leaned over and said quietly in my ear, " I remember when we didn't have plastic".
    ...See More
  • Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

I am with you, especially on the acrylic. It's in so many sweaters now and it makes me sweat so I cannot wear it at all. Plus, as you say, it just degrades the quality of the sweater. I assume it is a cost cutting measure.

I also dislike it when I can't find anyone to take my money. If I shop mid day in a Macy's it seems like I have to hunt for a clerk to pay. Well, it did the last time I shopped at a Macy's over a year ago.

• sas95
    8 years ago

Clothing is not cut well anymore. In trying to make as many items as possible "work" for people of all body types, there is a lot of shapeless clothing out there that kind of fits many people, but fits no one really well.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

With you on all of the things in your list, and here are mine.

• Dresses that are very short and have no hem that can be lengthened. Ok, I am tall and old, but I still like trendy dresses that are knee length, and please don't send me to Talbots.
    • Dresses for sale in winter that are sleeveless. Yes I can wear a jacket, but I really want some sleeves. To my wrist. Also applies to tops.
    • Belts. Is it really that hard to find a decent narrow leather belt to wear with jeans, etc? I went looking recently, not very hard, mind, but struck out in finding a plain black belt. Don't really want to order this online.
    • Higher end shoe brands that are selling out to Asian manufacturing. Donald Pliner is the first one that comes to mind. The last just isn't the same and neither is the quality since they are no longer made in Spain.

That is all I can think of for now.

• User
    8 years ago

Two pairs of jeans (or any article of clothing), same make, size, color....fit differently.

OSP, go to the Talbots :-).

funky, I looked at the Chico's white blouse that mtn posted and thought I had found the perfect shirt until I saw it was a popover aka pullover. (btw do you know the name of the model who is wearing that shirt? She is stunning.)

• bpath
    8 years ago

Not enough petite construction. Because of the way in which I am petite, I don't understand why there are petite skirts and pants. I need petite jackets and dresses, shirts and some sweaters, coats, even bathrobes. To get the length I need, the belt loops are on my hips.

Socks that last and don't pill.

• Springroz
    8 years ago

I do not like those "slim" pants in that cotton Lycra poplin! They stretch out to the point that they soon look like those GAWD awful men's skinny pants with the saggy butt!!

I love that style, especially if it has no waist band, but that fabric makes me crazy.

I hate that no company seems to make a decent t shirt (has to be v neck...cap or short sleeve is ok) in a fabric of any weight. They show them on mannequins layered together...I do NOT want to wear 2 shirts.....I will pay twice as much if they will make it a decent weight fabric.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    8 years ago

ahhh yes.. the sleeveless everything is frustrating. I do like sleeveless shells for under jackets but that's the ONLY time I want sleeveless. So many of us say the same thing but there are so few options in dresses-- and nicer shirts!

Also agree on the decline of shoe quality-- and clothing in general. I have a pair of Donald Pliner shoes that are ready to retire after only 2 yr.

Grrrr socks that pill!!

Marlene, that wasn't the only popover I saw but it was the one that took me over the edge! I do think it looks lovely on her but I have yet to find one that I think looks great and not dated on me. I think I may try the Lanae shirt in the last image. I believe the model is the stunning Pia Gronning but it's definitely a different look than I associate with her so I could be wrong.

• User
    8 years ago

When a sales person hovers, I look them in the eye, smile, and tell them that I would prefer to look by myself. When I want/need help, I will find them. Works like a charm...no hovering.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ok, I know I am picky about tshirts!! I own it -- but still think I should be able to find something! I want a nicer, office-appropriate long sleeve tee that can go under a jacket or sweater or stand alone with a scarf or pendant.. nice weight, cotton (though a little lycra is fine-- often great) and the perfect neckline. I like a nice, deep v or the "perfect scoop".

None of my old faithfuls work anymore-- all have changed either the fabric content or the shape!

• busybee3
    8 years ago

i find myself trying to avoid eye contact when i am running quickly in a store- that seems to keep the clerks away too! :)

hate those sleeve tabs- i was trying to find a blouse a yr ago and honestly couldn't find anything (except plain white and chambray) that didn't have those sleeve buttons and tabs!

cannot wait for dress hems to get longer again!

i like wearing a sleeve in the winter, but so often i have found that there is so much heat used in the places where more formal events are taking place that sleeveless is nice after a glass of wine or 2!

i like acrylic and don't find it pills - in fact it often seems to pill less than wool, ime. wool is often itchy- even cashmere itches me often times. i'm more sensitive to wool than many i'm sure, but for a high crewneck or turtleneck wool sweater, i need to wear a turtleneck underneath or i will be itching my neck all day/night. :( and, acrylic is much warmer than cotton.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Some of my wool pills too--or worse, sheds! I pulled out an old angora blend sweater last week. It was so soft and fluffy in the prettiest, palest pink I thought wow, why don't i wear this?? I paired it with black wool pants and a scarf and thought I looked great-- until I took off my coat and found both my pants and the coat full of fuzz. I was so annoyed. Clearly THAT is why it had been in the closet unworn for so long. It's now in the basement-- to be reserved for yardwork days.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    8 years ago

The opposite of Bpathome, myself and my girls are tall (5'10" to 6'1"). Why don't people offer longer lengths? Sorry, I don't feel sorry for the petites because they can at least alter their clothes. I can't weave more fabric or stretch sleeves!

Many stores offer Petites, very few offer talls. I need to drive over one hour for a Tall clothing store or even a store that offers talls in a catalog. If a catalog offers talls, they charge more but inversely Petites don't get charged less for using less fabric.

I don't like sleeves rolled up with the tabs because those make me feel that the sleeves are too short. I don't mind a true 3/4 sleeve shirt, at least those look like they are don't come to my wrists intentionally.

As a sewer, it gripes me to buy an expensive brand and for the stripes or plaid to not be remotely matched. Quality items are just hard to find.

• User
    8 years ago

Scarves! I love scarves and I'm tall and can carry them off well. But this trend in oversized scarves that seem to have 20 yards of fabric. I find them so uncomfortable. All of the pretty patterned scarves I've seen lately are so darn overwhelming in size. I draw the line at alterations for scarves.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    8 years ago

Seems like there are lot of similar gripes here.

I realise that these isn't true of every vendor, but many, it seems:

Above the knee hemlines on EVERY dress/skirt? What, no options? Besides maxi, that is.

See-through fabrics only - again, what, no options?

Busy, busy, loud patterns - NO, I am never going to wear neon animal prints or giant logos!

& yes, I miss cotton & leather too - now those mostly seem to be available from only the priciest vendors. When did real leather shoes, belts & bags become high end only? & those of us who lived through the 70s know well how smelly polyester can get after just 1 wearing.

Lastly, when shopping brick & mortar, I hate, hate, hate when people (women, apparently, since I don't visit the men's section) leave a mess in the dressing room. Are they trying to be 'classy' by just dropping inside out garments & hangers wherever(usually the floor) & just leaving them there for the 'help' to pick up? Makes me suspicious of the things that are hanging on the racks - who knows where they've been?

• User
    8 years ago

I have several L/S tees and mock turtle neck Henleys from Natural Reflections (Bass Pro) that I love. The fabric is substantial (no one would mistake them for lingerie). Note, though, that mine are about 3 years old, so not sure the current fabric is as good.

http://www.basspro.com/Natural-Reflections-Thermal-Crewneck-Top-for-Ladies/product/1411121001/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL

Hmmm.. I didn't mean to link a thermal fabric. Check the stores for seasonal selections.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    8 years ago

T-shirts with a large scoop or v neckline. I don't like either one. I want a normal crew neck. Extra thin shirts. Shirts only in solid colors. I like a shirt with a pattern. Pants or shorts that don't come to the waist. Dry clean or hand wash anything. I used to order from Land's End, but their stuff is just as bad as the dollar store.

• eld6161
    8 years ago

See through cut-outs. Not sure why having your undergarments show through is somehow a "look."

Along the same lines, material that is too thin. Again, what am I supposed to wear under this? Or, If you have to ask, it's not for you?

• PRO
    MDLN
    8 years ago

Thanks, thought it was just me. I remember when clothes shopping used to be fun and having to limit what I was buying. Now, more often than not, I leave stores without buying anything.

Also, dislike 3/4 length sleeves, prefer rolling sleeves up if I want to shorten the length.

• gardener123
    8 years ago

Agree 100% with all of these.

Right with the roll tabs?! Awful. And what happened to actual sizes? Are we so global that the only sizing will soon be XS—XL? And I want lining in my coats, blazers, trousers, dresses and skirts. How about Talbots /Ann Taylor white slacks without lining. Really? Does anyone want to wear white pants that you can see through?

• busybee3
    8 years ago

yes about the white pants- i wanted a pair of white pants last year that you couldn't see the pockets through!! i actually finally found a pair at AT that both fit well and were heavy enough not to show underwear or the pockets!! (i actually prefer pants that aren't lined tho)

• User
    8 years ago

Love 3/4 sleeves for spring through early fall. Hate how thin fabrics have become. I dislike needing a camisole ... especially with our miserable summers.

Bought 2 pair of white capris at Kohls two years ago. They're not see through.

I like scarves during the cooler months, but don't care for the infinity style at all.

Had to Google cold shoulders. I've only seen it on TV. Comes across as a little trashy ... no matter who's wearing it.

• lascatx
    8 years ago

I don't mind a shirt with roll tabs, but I don't want more than one or two in my closet. Prefer most to be plain.

RNMomof2 -- completely agree on the lack of availability on tall clothing -- and talls that have extra length in the body, not just pant legs. And not just for winter! I don't shrink several inches when the weather is warm -- while my arms might forgive a short sleeve being short, I still need a longer body. When shirts, tops, sweaters and jackets are too short, they are not flattering.

And put the talls in the stores! There are never talls in stores. I can't try on anything without having to order it and send back at least half of an order. I feel like stores must hate me for never shopping - only bringing in returns. Same goes for shoes. I wear a 12 and have to order them to try anything on -- and forget waiting for a sale. If they have a 12 in anything fun or cute, or even basic and classis, it will probably well be the first size to sell out regardless of whether it is an inexpensive or expensive choice. And I can't make my own or alter them either.

• jellytoast
    8 years ago

"Pants or shorts that don't come to the waist"

I hate pants and shorts that DO come to the waist! For years "they" were telling us how unflattering they are, now you can't find anything else. I want the waistline below my belly button.

And speaking of waistlines, why are all elastic-waist workout garments made to fit a teeny 20-inch waist? Is there a worldwide shortage of elastic?

Another annoyance ... tall boots that are only sized for meaty calves. Boots come in regular and sometimes wide-calf sizes. How 'bout a size for skinny legs?

I kinda like the tabs on shirt sleeves as they actually serve a purpose since I usually roll up the sleeves. What is annoying is when there are tabs present but they have sewn the sleeve wrist openings too tight to actually roll up the sleeves. Do they not try these garments on a person before putting them on the market?

I wear a size 4 and often find that a size "large" shirt is too small. Seriously???

• Springroz
    8 years ago

sizing....I cannot possibly buy clothes online, because I look at the sizing chart, and try on the clothes, and there is NO WAY that they match.....if THEY cannot figure out the sizing..

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    8 years ago

lascatx, I'll let you in on a secret about the shoes. Between my DD's and I, we wear 10, 11, 12. We LOVE Nordstrom's Rack for shoes. Nordstrom's kind of specializes in the hard to fit shoes (4-5, and 11 up) so the Rack carries many large sizes. We live about an hour away from one, but we stop in whenever we can. You can also order on line. They have special events a few times a year when they get in 11+ sizes. We are also lucky to have a small local type shoe store that carries up to 12's in store for the pricier brands(Dansko, Uggs D. Pilner, Pikolinos, etc)

All of us have many Eddie Bauer Essential T's . They run long through the body in the regular sizes but also come in Talls for a reasonable price. Watch for sales.

• artemis_ma
    8 years ago

RNmomof2 - I'm with you on the unavailability of tall sizes. I end up ordering online, and sizing charts seem to be clueless. And, yep, everything is pricy more than it should be. I'm 6 feet.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    8 years ago

Mainly, in catalogs, shoes that only go to size 10. I wear an 11. And European shoes in 11 is a 43, not a 42, which is only a 10.5 at best.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    8 years ago

Bumblebeez, I hear you on the Euro/american sizes. A 42 is not a size 12. That frustrates me. Also shoe sizes stopping at 11. We are tall, I expect us to have big feet. But my daughter's friends that aren't tall wear size 11. Carry bigger shoes!

• grapefruit1_ar
    8 years ago

I am not tall....5'7", but I need a 34 inch inseam. There are none in stores. Often when a catalogue carries tall pants they start at size 8. I wear a 6 or 4 ( Talbots possibly a 2). It seems that the clothing is getting bigger while the size is smaller. I guess they want everyone to think that they are a size 2.

I can find jeans but no dress pants!

• just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

Shirts that go long in the back. Some are very long.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

I'm with you tall girls. I'm just a shade under 5'9" and most of my height is in my torso. Hate low-rise pants because they feel like they are going to slip right off my hips. Depending on brand, I can generally wear a 30-31" inseam so don't often have to go to a tall size. I'm a 9.5 shoe except for running shoes (10.5) so don't have a problem there except they usually get one pair of 9.5's in any store it seems. Thank goodness for online shopping.

Dresses that have waists just don't work for me because the 'waist' ends up being just below my boobs. You're right, RNmom, the makers of so-called tall sizes don't think thin goes with tall, because the smallest size is usually a medium or around an 8. I wear a small or a 6 generally, and sometimes a 4. Depends on brand.

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

I can't find dressy tees with a nice neck line. Even at my age, with an aging neck, I look best in either a boat neck or wide ballerina neck.

The fit of clothes is annoying buy three of anything and they all fit differently. How hard can it be to make a size 8 be a size 8, and keep the fit uniform.

Embellishments. I am seeing less this year but for the last five years or so it seemed that everything had to have some sort of embellishment on it. It was impossible to find tops that I liked because of beading or some other awful attempt at fancying the top. I want simple and elegant lines I don't want fussy!

• 4kids4us
    8 years ago

Nodding my head with several of the responses here. I'm short, and while yes, we do have the option to hem things, depending on the item, hemming isn't always possible. Sometimes due to the nature of the material, the existing hemline, or the design of the dress, it either can't be done, or it would completely alter the look. For instance, I have a wool dress that is a tad too long, but I can't hem it b/c the design on the fabric goes all the way to the hem and if turned up, the pattern would be ruined. I've had to put back dresses I've tried on b/c of that.

One of my pet peeves that I haven't seen mentioned are sleeves that are too tight. I'm not heavy, my arms aren't fat (i'm typically a size 6), but I can't tell you how many times I've tried on shirts and the sleeves around my upper arms are way too tight, but I can't go up a size or the rest of the shirt is way too big! This just happened to me on Friday when trying on blouses.

And lastly, I have a terrible time finding t-shirts that aren't too long. I like my t-shirts to be about hip length. Anything longer looks ridiculous on me (as I said, I'm short), plus the longer ones tend to really hug my belly/butt which is very unflattering. And they also seem to run either too narrow, or like a tent. I'd love to find a tee that is slimmer on top (small chest) but then slightly flares below the waist.

• tinam61
    8 years ago

I'm with you on the dressy tees and acrylic. I hate acrylic.

I actually like popover shirts - well the ones that I like I would call more of a tunic. I like them with the skinny leg ankle pants - but as mentioned above - not the poplin fabric that stretches out of shape!

I also like 3/4 length sleeves for early spring or late fall.

As for cold shoulder - I'm attaching a link for Rhoda's blog - she used to post here and has a Fashion over 50 series on her blog. She is adorable. She looked great in her "cold shoulder" top for Valentine's! I don't think anyone could look at her pic and say she looks trashy. That is a style I can take or leave - depends on the shirt itself.fashion over 50

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    8 years ago

I am also one with the tall problem. Me length is more in my torso so just putting longer legs on something does not help me much. I too have big feet (size 11) and I wish that there was greater availability of decent socks that fit the big feet. I can find some larger athletic socks but rarely find well made, large dress socks or boot socks. Along the same line, there needs to be expansion in sizes of things such as hats and gloves. If one wants to find attractive leather gloves for women, they are out of luck because even the larger sizes are often cut way too thin.

My biggest peeve though is value. I get quite discouraged when I look at a lot of clothing that is priced high but is made with inferior materials and without any apparent tailoring. I expect this somewhat at a place like Old Navy but to go into other stores and pay over $100 for a pair of boots that are not real leather, shirts where the material is flimsy or pills easily, other shorts with no darts, etc. It is getting beyond ridiculous.

• tackykat
    6 years ago

Like tishtosh above (I know this is an old thread, but its a good one), I also have a hard time finding value for the right price.

But my Pet Peeve is not so much about value but about the entire concept of retail in women's fashion. I went clothes shopping (in person) for the first time yesterday in a long time. I doubt I will go again anytime soon unless it is something I absolutely need to try on.

I walked into a J. Jill store. I like to start at the back (Yes, the sale racks!) and work my way forward in a store. Apparently, the sales ladies took offense at that because one of them said to me (I was the only customer) that they had spent "two days" assembling all of the new fall merchandise at the front of the store and that I should look at that. She then said it to me a second time, a few minutes later, as if I did not understand her the first time.

I browsed a bit more and walked out, thinking of how much I love online shopping! Trying things on at home with my current clothing, no lines, no strange (or vacant) salespeople, no driving to and fro!

Also, when I am in a store such as Talbots or J Jill or LLBean (one of my favorites for online purchases) I just notice how there is so much more selection on line than in the store. I even walked out of DSW after a quick browse. (ordered 3 pair of shoes today from Nordstrom. Free shipping and free return shipping.) I just don't enjoy the in-person shopping experience anymore.

• eld6161
    6 years ago

I do a lot of online shoping because I am a petite and so little selection in the stores.

I would love to be able to try something on and see if it fits. With vanity sizing running rampant in all the stores, you never really know what size you are when you need to order online.

I was in a Loft store perusing the sale rack and saw a pair of shorts in a size 0. I eyeballed it and looked like it would fit. I am not a 0, nowhere close, yet this particular pair of shorts fit. Online, I would never have even trieed them.

I am not a JJill fan although I have purchased a few items in the past. My beef with them is that they don't have sales the way the others stores do. I was at a mall and all the other stores I frequent was having huge sales. Not JJill.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    6 years ago

Finding quality, I used to be able to buy nice cashmere and wool easily in dept stores, seems like it's blends or synthetics now mostly.

And, the clothes keep getting smaller! lol

• Bunny
    6 years ago

eld, I just ordered a dress from J.Jill because it was on sale! I've never bought anything from them before. At least if I need to return it, I can go to my local store.

Funky, I can't get out of Chico's fast enough with the smothering. Stop talking to me!!! Today I went into a Talbot's in a different town and got this pitch over pants on sale. I was not there to even look at pants.

• kittymoonbeam
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

online shopping is doing strange things to what employees in stores are told to do. I like to talk to them about what the company insists will keep stores going. Online shopping is superior for most people but I don't want the kind of warehouse semi slavery that bezos has created for Amazon and that is the future for those employees if things keep on as they are.

The attempt to survive and make profits, fabrics get thinner and cheaper. Clothes are discarded after a short time so that they must be replaced. A typical garment sewer in Los Angeles makes 4-5 dollars an hour or less if they don't get paid which happens frequently. Mostly it's Korean run sewing rooms using Latino sewers. I shop the garment district fabric wholesalers that supply these sewing rooms. It's all the same fabrics used in the clothes everywhere from high priced to low. Stuff coming in from China is exactly the same but sells for half the price. Race to the bottom.

As long as people buy it, nothing will change. I sew for myself and many times I buy something inexpensive and take it apart to make a pattern so i can use better cloth. Some of the better quilting cottons make beautiful shirts. Qualitymen's shirts can be cut down as well. Menswear seems to be made to last. I think they view women as discarding clothes and replacing them as compared to men.

Silk knits are very nice and soft and don't shed. I do love angora sweaters though shedding and all. Acrylic is super soft but pills right away so I never get that if it's blended with wool.

Linen is my favorite. Its cool, it lasts, it's classic. It wrinkles.........can't have everything.

• lisaw2015 (ME)
    6 years ago

I wish they would offer the same clothes in plus size as regular size. I don't know how many times I have tried to squeeze my fat arse into an XL because I fell in love with a top or slacks ....Nope....2x now....

• dedtired
    6 years ago

I know which styles are flattering on me but when I keep going back to them, I a pretty much stuck in a rut. If I can go to a store I can try different styles, sometimes I find something new and different. Altogether I find clothes shopping to be a misery, largely because I am getting large! If I can return items to a brick and mortar store, that's fine but I am not paying shipping to return stuff. I do like Zappo's for that reason, although I rarely find a bargain there.

• jill302
    6 years ago

Agree clothes shopping is just not fun anymore. The choices are dismal, especially the tee shirts as mentioned above. A solid tee with pants/shorts has been my at home "uniform" for years. The tees are horrible now, way too thin. See-through and holes within a month or two. Bottoms are another nightmare.

I appear to be the odd person out here, I do not like buying clothing online, too many returns to deal with. At the stores I may try on 20 things to find one I like on, the thought of dealing with returning 19 items just to find one that works is overwhelming. Although I am more willing to take a chance when I can return the item locally and have purchased a few online items at Nordstrom recently.

• Bunny
    6 years ago

My sewing ability is basically shortening things and making curtain panels. How I wish I could make clothes for myself. I was hoping to find a full skirt to pair with a plain top for a wedding. In every case, either the skirt was too short or the fabric was hideous. I should be able to make this myself, right? I love shirtwaist dresses and camp shirts. Where did they all go?

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Linelle, Have you tried Land's End or Vermont Country Store? I haven't ordered from Vermont yet, but they look good. I like Land's End. They got a little iffy when Sears took over, but since Sears is going down the drain, they seem to be responsive to comments and requests. I had been ordering nightgowns from them and they had changed so much no one liked them. Everyone ripped them last season and this time it looks like it used to. I have two ordered and we will see.

https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/

https://www.landsend.com/