SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sylwia_hunsinger

installing acrylic bathtub and durock

Sylwia Hunsinger
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hello all, I just ripped out my entire bathroom to the studs and had a contractor install my delta 400 curved tub which is very lightweight and feels flimsy out of the box. I saw the floors in there are not very level. I am not sure about the floor under the tub but after I got in the tub to try it out it was moving and flexing. My contractor didn't bother reading the instructions and installed it the following way. Instead of drilling through the flange, he drilled the screws right above it. He screwed in some screws on the vertical flange on the apron. He did not put anything under the tub, no felt, no mortar. He said this is how he installs all new tubs and it doesnt need mortar standing on a flat surface. Still, the tub didn't feel solid at all. He refused to fix anything and just walked out on me. Now, what do I do to put that thing in myself?

should I build a ledge for the flange to sit on in addition to the screws?

do I need to screw through the flange or are the screws they set enough?

Also, right above the tub apron where the durock meets the tub, there is at least an inch by inch big hole right next to the tub covered by durock or anything behind it. A hole as a hole can be. he was going to fill it in with mortar and call it a day. I will see if I can find a picture. What to do with it? Is it ok or should I fill it with a strip of durock? will it hold up>?

thanks for your help

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor