SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tantanman

Organic citrus fertilizers.

tantanman
8 years ago

It's that time again to start organic fertilizing your citrus on the NW Gulf Coast. Last year I bought about $200 dollars of expensive Microlife(R) 6-2-4 citrus fert. only to find I was less than half way through my trees needs. I began to search for a more reasonable solution. So I ordered 150 lb of cottonseed meal for $50 from a local feed store to finish the season.

This year I started with a trip to the Southern Cotton Oil mill in Richmond, Tx and bought 300 lb of cotton seed meal for $ 59.23 including Texas sales tax. I will probably buy some Microlife to mix in for the micro cultures to ensure a quick break down. I may add about 2% potassium as either the chloride or the nitrate. Or I may just add a little more meal.

They gave me a nice publication which lists the typical analysis as: 6.56% N, 2.54%, and 1.78% K. I had to drive my small pickup on the scale and fill out the paperwork just like the big rigs. I know people who loaded their SUV the same way. Microlife is the 5 star citrus food if you live in the greater Houston/S.E Texas Region. But it costs about $35.00 for 40 lb. A lb. of nitrogen is therefore $13.58. A good sized tree needs more than pound. And I have a lot of trees. If you have a similar problem, maybe I can help. I used to run a micro-nutrients plant. I have a good understanding of soil mineralogy in S. Texas.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider