SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
etran

Anyone have Daltile One Quartz countertops?

etran
6 years ago

The granite fabricator I visited today recommended this brand as a low cost quartz manufacturer. I did a quick search online and saw they use Breton technology and have manufacturing facilities in the US and Mexico.

Anyone have their countertops or know anything about them?

Thanks!

Comments (53)

• tackykat
    6 years ago

I have Daltile OneQuartz (Summer Dawn) on our perimeter and Silestone (Bamboo) on our island. Our kitchen designer recommended the Daltile as a less expensive and comparable twin to Silestone Haiku. They are both looking good 2 years after our remodel.

Winfield Kitchen · More Info

• Paul
    2 years ago

Stay away from Daltile quartz, esp West Village series. Despite common sense re quartz and Daltile ad photos, the edge finish for the color and veining detail is NOT through-body. Photo 1-4: installed Empire Grey (reality). Photo 5-7: Daltile online brochure photos.

• Related Discussions

Has Anyone installed Daltile "Diamond Chip" quartz?

Q

Comments (12)
    thanks for the info @jpatel616 I have heard such conflicting experiences about quartz , mainly that it's really not very low maintenance and some have described it as a nightmare in terms of watermarks, stains, chipping etc. I have to make a decision by next week and im torn. The color I like is for Daltile. So it would be that or granite. I have had granite for a long time and never had any issues with that but prefer the color of the quartz. Mind you if the color was in granite I would stick with granite lol. What do you use to clean it? So zero issues?? I heard some horror stories about cesearstone and other brands which leave me disheartened about what to do :(
    ...See More

Does anyone have MSI Q Mara Blanca quartz countertops?

Q

Comments (2)
    I just came here to search for this. Just went to local Quartz shop and saw a sample. It look very pretty. Looking for something to go with white cabinets with a slight contrast but nothing too gray.
    ...See More

Does anyone have Rococo quartz countertops???

Q

Comments (1)
    I am no expert but since no one else has replied, I'll comment. I am pretty sure Rococo and Minuet have different undertones. And they are too similar in pattern to combine, I'd choose one or the other. Only one counter should have a pattern, the other counter should be a solid that combines well with your patterned counter.
    ...See More

Has anyone use Daltile's White Sand Quartz on Kitchen countertops?

Q

Comments (0)
    Remodeling my Kitchen and can't find any pics with Daltile White Sand quartz. My cabinets will be SW Repose Gray and a White backsplash.
    ...See More
  • Paul
    2 years ago

(Cont’) Photo 4: reality. Photos 5-7: Daltile online Brochure photos - don’t be fooled by these misleading photos on edge detail. Daltile quartz has issues that require mitering all edges to look good. Why would anyone pick a quartz that costs more in labor to execute? Exactly.

• Paul
    2 years ago

The worst part is that Daltile admits this is common with their product line, and they feel it is aesthetically acceptable and not their problem. When asked about the discrepancy between reality and the online photos, their answer is a legal one - they never claim in writing that their quartz has through-body details. If we had known, we would have gone with Pental quartz, or less likely, spend more $ to miter the Daltile quartz. Instead we’re now left in limbo. If you want a premium product that is backed by its manufacturer, steer clear of Daltile.

• Paul
    2 years ago

Hi Joseph,
    Thanks for asking.

My complaint is that Daltile quartz in reality has a really ugly edge aesthetic, which caught my team by surprise. The veining and color pattern never penetrate more than 50% of the way though the slab, making it look dirty like a stain along the edge of all the countertops. Whereas the Daltile brochure photos of the West Village series show beautiful full thickness veining and even color distribution along the countertop edge.

After-the-fact, the Daltile rep says this is a common issue with their quartz, yet my design team and builder have never heard of this issue with quartz. Daltile rep blamed us for not knowing better, yet there is no Daltile literature warning designers or fabricators that Daltile products should be mitered for best results. The Daltile rep admits he has had to explain this to other clients, which implies we are not the only ones complaining. It seems to me that this is a deliberate move on the part of Daltile to continue selling a product with issues by showing “representative” online photos that are misleading.

Because Daltile sees nothing wrong with this practice, they refuse to replace the slabs, which would at least have helped us with the possibility to redo the counters with a mitered edge.

I am hoping that this information helps other designers/builders/fabricators/clients from being fooled by Daltile and making the same costly mistake.

P

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

Paul:

Not to brag, but I have an exceptionally well-trained eye for such things and I had difficulty seeing what you were pointing out. I've seen mitered edges on quartz and am not that impressed. A miter wouldn't look as good as your tops do, I promise.

• Paul
    2 years ago

Joseph,
    My fabricator told me that this Daltile photo could only be a mitered edge, given that it appears more than 3 cm thick relative to the thickness of the sink cut out. But if mitered edge can’t save this product then we’re going to go with a different manufacturer entirely.
    Paul

• msmodernshopper
    last year
    last modified: last year

I was consodering Daltile’s one quartz in ’independence calacatta’ for my kitchen but noticed the veining only carries through half the slab. Very disappointing as I really loved this design and that it is made in the US. The search continues...🤦🏻‍♀️

• Nick
    last year

We are about to pull the trigger on Daltile...is this not a good option? Does this mean the edges don't show the detail all the way through?

• jh0ff
    last year

I’m confused too. @abildy, @Paul Are you saying that the thin “bevel” at the countertop edge is a different color and without veining? Where it turns at 90 degrees? I can’t really tell from the photos. Thanks for your help. I am considering Daltile Freedom Calacatta.

• madar3
    last year

I have pricey silestone Calacatta gold 3cm quartz in a bar and not every single wave goes through consistently on the edge end to end.some cover the edge and some gray tone specks go 50% here and there. I chose a mont quartz for my kitchen but apparently that line had variation between lots And I had to change or go check each lot. I would use the sileststone again but it isn’t bright enough white for my kitchen. I’m considering the daltIle independence light/medium gray wave and lines. I certainly will ask them About cutting and edges but even with silestone and other lines, there may be parts of edge that vary in how much the wave or line covers.

• sjhooper
    last year

@nick did you end up going with Daltile?

• Lisa Giametta
    10 months ago

@Nick, @jh0ff, @madar3 Did any of you go with Daltile. we are considering because we need the extra large slabs.

• CeeWhy
    9 months ago

@Lisa Giametta I had Daltile installed in October and love it. I didn't have any issues with whatever veining problems @abildy was describing.

This is called Valor White.

• HU-647459265
    8 months ago

Does anyone have pictures of any of the Daltile American Reserve quartz countertops? We are specifically looking at Liberty Calacatta. Would love to see the countertop edge as well. Thanks!!

• Jay Dawn
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

@ceewhy do you have a bigger pic? considering valor white!

• CeeWhy
    8 months ago

@Jay Dawn

Sorry, it's hard to get a good angle! It's lighter in real life, but looks darker in my pics. Photos don't do it justice. Click on them to get a better look. I do have a picture of the slab in the showroom if you'd like to see that? I couldn't get pics close up because the slabs are very large.

A lot of veining in quartz is thick and zebra-like to me, and I wanted more subtle veining. When I saw this in the showroom I said, "That's 'The One'!" I love it. Jasmine White is very similar, without the veining.

@HU-647459265 I have photos of American Reserve slabs from my trip to Daltile's showroom, but not Liberty Calacatta. I have Noble Grey, Broadway Black, Valor White, and Jasmine White. Let me know if you'd like to see them?

Anybody know why pricing on Daltile One is so secretive? I can't find pricing anywhere online, and the showroom told me my fabricator or installer would give me the price. My only experience with this is what I paid, and I have no idea if it was a good price or not!

• Jay Dawn
    8 months ago

Thank you! i think valor white is more expenisve and jasmine white much less expensive

• CeeWhy
    8 months ago

@Jay Dawn according to the showroom, Jasmine is in price group 3 and Valor is in price group 4. I asked the fabricator for the difference in price between 3, 4, and 5 (also looked at Avenue White in price group 5) and didn't really get an answer. He just told me he charges by the slab and couldn't give me a price until I knew what I wanted and it was ordered. Seemed really sketchy, but I really wanted Valor White so I went with it. Why is pricing so secretive?? 🤨

• Kyle Fisk
    8 months ago

@CeeWhy We are considering the Valor White as well. Would you mind sharing the sq.ft. price you paid for comparison sake? Ours is $100

• Verbo
    8 months ago

Wholesalers do not sell products directly to consumers. They sell to fabricators, who set their own labor price. Stone price is mostly labor. The higher priced labor is generally for the higher skilled labor. A wholesaler would be unethical to reveal their customer’s proprietary information, if they even had access to that.

If you want to know your stone price, you start by finding a highly skilled fabricator. Same as if you want to know the price of eggplant parmesan as a restaurant meal, you find a great Italian restaurant and look at their menu. You don’t call up the wholesale produce company and badger them about what price they sell their eggplants to the restaurant. Wholesale is not retail.

• Jay Dawn
    8 months ago

ours is 8000 for 3 slabs

• CeeWhy
    8 months ago

@Kyle Fisk the fabricator we used charged per slab with labor included. Our price was $4500/slab. @Jay Dawn is that the price they told you for Valor? Maybe I got ripped off.

• Jay Dawn
    8 months ago

@CeeWhy no actually i think its about the same because ours is 13,000 total for 3 slabs (the 8000 did not include labor)

• CeeWhy
    8 months ago

@Jay Dawn that makes me feel better! The fabricator wouldn't give us the difference in price between price groups, so I had no idea what the comparison should be.

And @Verbo your comparison to ordering eggplant parmesan makes no sense here. I don't go to a restaurant where they won't tell me price differences between items on the menu, and keep the cost of the meal secret until after I order...which is what the quartz fabricator did. I wasn't "badgering" anyone for the wholesale price of the quartz. I was asking for the price difference between Daltile One pricing groups, with the fabricator's installation price included. For all I know, he would have charged me the same if I had purchased from price group 3 instead of price group 4. And since I can't find any price comparisons for Daltile One online, I didn't know if I got a good price or not.

• Verbo
    8 months ago

Those are questions for your chosen *fabricator*, not the quartz wholesaler. Youre still going around asking the price of eggplants. Not eggplant parmesan.

• CeeWhy
    8 months ago

Again, I did not ask the *wholesaler* for their pricing. I asked the *fabricator*, and he would not tell me *his* price difference between pricing groups. I was asking *here* for comparisons *with installation*.

When I walk into a home improvement store and see a display with quartz countertop pricing *with installation* it tells me the price for group A, B, C, etc. I know what to expect. Daltile's showroom told me what slabs were in what pricing group. The fabricator would not tell me *his* price difference with installation between group 3 (a less expensive group) and group 4 (which is what I chose). Like most homeowners I have a budget, and wanted to know the *fabricator's* pricing to decide whether I went with group 3 or group 4, and he would not tell me until I ordered.

Do you go to a restaurant and ask the difference in price between chicken parmesan and eggplant parmesan, and the cook says that he won't tell you the price until you have already ordered? How is that asking for the price that the restaurant paid for the supplies? I'm not sure where you're getting that I am asking for wholesale pricing. Please, go eat some eggplant parmesan and move on.

• HU-819414396
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

@CeeWhy, thank you for sharing pics. We are deciding between Valor White and Muse by LG. My biggest concern with Valor is how the edges look, particularly the veining and how they appear on the sides. Would you mind sharing some pics of the edges particularly in these areas. I guess it's no secret the veins don't go thru full thickness with Daltile, but I'd just like to see how the finish looks. thanks. Love the look of your island by the way.

• CeeWhy
    7 months ago

@HU-819414396

Here are pics of the areas you had circled. Valor White's veining has areas where there are "breaks" in the vein, so the veins ending here are consistent with the rest of the veining on the slab (see last photo). Sorry if the first 2 pics look yellow, the blinds are open and the sun is starting to set. The last photo is the more accurate color. Valor White is very similar to Jasmine White, which looks (to me) like Valor without the veining. If you notice between the veins, there are gray flecks throughout. The edges of the countertops have these flecks as well, so the veining not going through the slab doesn't bother me at all.

• Amanda Hoekstra
    7 months ago

@CeeWhy what type of edge is your counter top? Beautiful kitchen! I noticed you have white cabinets in the back ground does the counter look white against your cabinets or more grey hue? Thanks so much for your photos above, so helpful!

• CeeWhy
    7 months ago

@Amanda Hoekstra thank you! My cabinet guy called it "flat polished edge". I think my countertop looks white against the cabinets, but not a bright white if that makes sense? My cabinets are painted SW Extra White, I believe. The countertop does look a little darker when lights are off vs when they're on, but I don't think there's a gray hue. My lights are 4000k.

Lights on

Lights off

Lights off

Lights on

• Amanda Hoekstra
    7 months ago

Thank you! Yes this is exactly what I needed to see. My sample I have is very grey and I want it to look like this. I appreciate your response so much.

• msmodernshopper
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

Update: I just had Daltile Independence Calacatta installed. I looked at many options but ended up on this one since it was the only slab large enough to avoid a seam in the island. The veins have a cooler tone which doesn‘t show up well in the photos. The veins do partially carry through on the edges (initially a concern of mine) but they're so light it’s not very noticeable. Cabinets are SW Pure White.

• Delta Victor
    5 months ago

@msmodernshopper - How do you like the Daltile overall? Is the price point cheaper than other brands? Any details on durability, stain resistance, etc?

We were going to choose between Silestone Eternal Calacatta Gold or Daltile Independence Calacatta.

• msmodernshopper
    5 months ago

@Delta Victor It’s very pretty and subtle. I like Daltile as a brand and have selected a few other Daltile finishes for this home. They are always friendly and generous with samples (at least when I was there about a year ago).

Independence calacatta is quite white & bright if thats the look you’re going for. It’s a new construction and haven’t moved in yet so can’t comment on durability, stain resistance, etc. My sample has been scuffed by other samples and I was able to wipe it clean with just my finger. I have the polished finish.

This was priced through the builder and was an upgrade from their standard level. I don’t know how it‘s pricing compares with other brands because it was the only one I had them price. I *think* Independence calacatta was Daltile’s highest level (5?) but it’s been so long since I was at the showroom I don’t remember. I would think it’s level is comparable with Silestone calacatta gold due to the degree of veining.

• allie
    3 months ago

@msmodernshopper What did you pay for the Daltile Independence Calacatta slab(s)? (or just price per sq. ft. if it wasn't broken out by materials vs. labor)

• Ashlie Brady
    5 days ago

@CeeWhy Do you mind telling me how your Valor White quartz have held up? I'm about to pull the trigger on Valor White tomorrow and it's killing me I can't find any long term reviews or information on them. Do they stain easily ? Chip? Thank you so much! I love your photos ! We even have the same flooring ☺️

• CeeWhy
    5 days ago

@Ashlie Brady go ahead and pull the trigger! My Valor White has held up perfectly! No stains or chips. They don't stain easily in my experience. Any time something has discolored the countertop (I can't even think of an example, it happens so infrequently), a spritz of bleach cleaner has taken the discoloration right off.

I am also loving my floors! Both Valor White and Finally Mine have been my favorite choices I made in my house.

• Ashlie Brady
    4 days ago

@CeeWhy Omg thank you so much for replying! I have been stressing so bad about this! This makes me feel so much better. It took me a month and 50 samples to select the flooring and that choice paid off, because I love my Finally Mine floors. I was worried I would misfire with the countertops lol. This is so reassuring!

I'm going tomorrow morning to look at my slab one more time just to verify the undertones in the white of the slab match the sample. I've heard horror stories of slabs varying in color tone between batches and I'm terrified of getting a yellow toned white counter.

Do you find the veining to still look subtle once installed? In the warehouse when looking at a huge slab , it looks subtle, worried once it's in a small bright kitchen it will be super dominant, which I don't want. Thank you so much ! You're an angel for replying !

• CeeWhy
    4 days ago

@Ashlie Brady my kitchen is also small and bright and the veining is still subtle, on both the large island and the smaller counters (which is what I wanted). Very happy with how they turned out! I had to have 2 slabs (we also used Valor White in our laundry room and for our master vanity) and I don't see any variation in color tone, so hopefully that eases your mind!

How funny that our tastes are so similar! Flooring, countertops...if you tell me that your walls are also painted Agreeable Gray and your trim is Pure White, I will wonder if we are twins separated at birth. 😂

When I was looking online at flooring I kept seeing different pictures of some that I really liked. When I would click on the picture to find out what it was, it was Finally Mine every. single. time. So I knew it was the one!

I hope you'll come back and post pics of your Valor White when it's installed!

• Ashlie Brady
    3 days ago

@CeeWhy My trim is Pure White and so are ny ceilings 😂 My walls are Edgcomb gray though. And the SAME happened to me with my floors. Every picture I clicked on I loved was Finally Mine So, we upped the budget for them.

I just finalized my Valor White today and went to the warehouse to look at the slab one last time and unfortunately found a small (smaller than a pea) black dot that looks like a dye deposit in the stone. I panicked and called my fabricator telling him I can't have a black dot in the middle of my white counters! It will be an eye sore.

He is amazing thankfully and promised me that we can play around with the template of my counters and try and cut the dot out or hide it in a corner where my decor can cover it. It's literally the last slab available in Houston right now, so I just went for it and pray my fabricator can work his magic.

I'm a perfectionist when it comes to big investments, so I will be in panic mode until Monday when we get the slab and see what we can do. Praying there aren't more dots I missed. It's so hard to notice them when looking at a HUGE slab at once in a dark warehouse.

Your kitchen is what made my mind up though on choosing the slab. Your detailed pictures and descriptions were a blessing for me and my sanity, so thank you!! I'll keep you updated. I'm adding a picture of the dot.

• PRO
    Frank and Frank
    3 days ago

Resin pooling is normal in all quartz manufacturers. If you cannot accept small inclusions of color, then no quartz manufacturer will be suitable to you. That is incredibly insignificant in the world of resin pooling. It is like a beauty mark. Up to a quarter size are possible without being considered a flaw.

• CeeWhy
    3 days ago

@Ashlie Brady so glad I could help!

The quartz countertops in my old house were the speckled variety. They were very dark, almost black, with flecks of lighter brown and black throughout. They looked great, other than one area had a spot about the size of a nickel where brown resin had pooled and it looked like someone had dropped a blob of melted milk chocolate on the countertop. Like @Frank and Frank said, that is the nature of quartz/resin and I knew that when I went with quartz, but it still bugged me (I didn't see the whole slab ahead of ordering, just a sample). Luckily it was in a less-conspicuous area, and the quartz was busy enough that I'm sure nobody would have noticed the blob unless I pointed it out to them. But *I* still knew about it! 😂 So I totally get you! I hope your fabricator can hide the black dot and all goes well!

• Ashlie Brady
    2 days ago

@Frank and Frank

I have researched quartz for months and realize that this does happen from time to time and can be the nature of the beast.

However, I don't feel like this is something that everyone should just be expected to accept. Respectfully, if you're paying thousands for material, I don't think it's unreasonable to not expect a noticable defect potentially smack dab in the middle of your counters.

I personally am moving forward since it was the last slab and I'm trusting my fabricator can either cut or disguise it in a corner somewhere.

It just sort of boggles my mind that there isn't better quality control put in place to stop slabs like these from even making it to the warehouse. And if it's something that is unavoidable during manufacturing, I'm shocked a solution hasnt been discovered to avoid it.

I'm just praying I didn't miss more and there aren't several scattered throughout the slab. Because black dots scattered throughout a white countertop isn't something, in my opinion, that would or should be okay.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

• Ashlie Brady
    2 days ago

@CeeWhy

See, that would bug me, but not enough to stress over it like I am with this one, because the speckled and multi colored nature of the quartz would help disguise the defect enough to where it would jump out at you. A bright white counter with a random black spot would be a noticable ,out of place eye sore.

As long as we can disguise it in a corner or even some place where my countertop decor can cover it, I'll be okay. Unless of course there are more that I missed, in which case , yes, this lady will be heartbroken. Thank you though for letting me know I'm not alone or crazy for being bugged by it!

Slab arrives tomorrow at my fabricator's shop, I'll be there when it does and take pictures. I'll also show you pics when it's finally installed! 😊

I was going to ask you, did you ever get a backsplash installed? Just curious what you went with and if it's similar to mine 😆

• CeeWhy
    2 days ago
    last modified: 2 days ago

@Ashlie Brady no backsplash yet! I'd love to see a picture of what you have. I haven't even looked around for backsplash tile yet. We've been focused on finishing our basement for the past few months and I just couldn't bear the thought of throwing another project into the mix!

• Ashlie Brady
    15 hours ago

@CeeWhy

I've narrowed it down to two options, but like you, I will be going without a backsplash for a while lol. I am getting all new cabinet doors , drawer fronts and drawer boxes , so budget dictates backsplash has to wait till after Christmas- which always carries a huge budget due to my kiddos.

I've narrowed it down to Bedrosians- Cloe Tile in White

or

a 2x8 white subway tile in herringbone pattern.

I'm waiting until countertops are installed to finalize my choice. It's so hard!

Oh, and I did have one more question- did you go for the more prominent veining portion of the slab for your island ? Or is the island have more of the subtle veining pattern of the slab?

I have to finalize my template tomorrow and I'm torn between having more veining on my peninsula/bar area which will be a large surface area , or putting more minal veining there and having the more prominent veining be on my more narrow , long running countertop where my sink is.

I love the look of your island ! That's why I ask which you have ☺️

• CeeWhy
    13 hours ago
    last modified: 11 hours ago

@Ashlie Brady my fabricator did the more prominent veining on the island, since it's my largest surface area. I don't recall him asking how I wanted it, I didn't know I had a choice. Good thing I like what he did! 😅

I wonder if your slabs look like mine? Mine sort of reminds me of looking out an airplane window and seeing a "vein highway" where all the roads originate from a city center. Or all roads lead to the city center. If that makes sense. That's what is in the middle of my island.

I am not home to take a picture, so I tried Googling Valor White images online to describe my veining, and my photos that I submitted to Houzz on this thread came up in my search. That was kind of surreal!

ETA: I love your tile choices! Tough pick!

• Lisa Giametta
    11 hours ago
    last modified: 11 hours ago

For anyone looking for pics of Valor white, thats what we chose last minute and absolutely LOVE it. we've only had it for two months… so far so good. its a nice cool, white that looks great with our white cabinets, navy island and white backsplash!

Sponsored
Pristine Acres
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars37 Reviews
Leading Northern Virginia Custom Outdoor Specialist- 10x Best of Houzz