SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
etran

Anyone have Daltile One Quartz countertops?

etran
8 years ago

The granite fabricator I visited today recommended this brand as a low cost quartz manufacturer. I did a quick search online and saw they use Breton technology and have manufacturing facilities in the US and Mexico.

Anyone have their countertops or know anything about them?

Thanks!

Comments (74)

• User
    2 years ago

Wholesalers do not sell products directly to consumers. They sell to fabricators, who set their own labor price. Stone price is mostly labor. The higher priced labor is generally for the higher skilled labor. A wholesaler would be unethical to reveal their customer’s proprietary information, if they even had access to that.

If you want to know your stone price, you start by finding a highly skilled fabricator. Same as if you want to know the price of eggplant parmesan as a restaurant meal, you find a great Italian restaurant and look at their menu. You don’t call up the wholesale produce company and badger them about what price they sell their eggplants to the restaurant. Wholesale is not retail.

• Jay Dawn
    2 years ago

ours is 8000 for 3 slabs

• Related Discussions

IS DALTILE QUARTZ a good brand for quartz

Q

Comments (2)
    If someone could explain to me the differences in quartz quality and the cost of that difference, I would definitely like to hear it.
    ...See More

Does anyone have Santamargherita quartz countertops?

Q

Comments (18)
    Please note that your fabricator is trying to mislead you, when they say there only are 7% of resin in that product. That's not what most people would think, when they look at the materials that go in there. Instead, you'd see two buckets of stone dust, and one bucket of resin. By volume, about a third of the "stone" is actually resin. But since resin is so much less dense, fabricators like to quote the ratio by weight. And that's how you get to numbers such as 7%. They are not technically wrong; but I feel it is intentionally try to confuse. And no, nothing wrong with a product that is resin and stone. Just be aware of the pros and cons that this entails. The biggest con is probably that this material isn't guaranteed to be heat proof. You can't set hot pots directly on there, and you can't mount it as a backsplash behind a stove unless you can somehow ensure that that area doesn't get too hot. Depending on model of your stove, an appropriately sized backguard might be available.
    ...See More

Anyone have Calacatta Ultra quartz countertops?

Q

Comments (4)
    What brand quartz are you looking to use? That sounds like just the color name.
    ...See More

Has anyone use Daltile's White Sand Quartz on Kitchen countertops?

Q

Comments (0)
    Remodeling my Kitchen and can't find any pics with Daltile White Sand quartz. My cabinets will be SW Repose Gray and a White backsplash.
    ...See More
  • CeeWhy
    2 years ago

@Kyle Fisk the fabricator we used charged per slab with labor included. Our price was $4500/slab. @Jay Dawn is that the price they told you for Valor? Maybe I got ripped off.

• Jay Dawn
    2 years ago

@CeeWhy no actually i think its about the same because ours is 13,000 total for 3 slabs (the 8000 did not include labor)

• CeeWhy
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@Jay Dawn that makes me feel better! The fabricator wouldn't give us the difference in price between price groups, so I had no idea what the comparison should be.

And @Verbo your comparison to ordering eggplant parmesan makes no sense here. I don't go to a restaurant where they won't tell me price differences between items on the menu, and keep the cost of the meal secret until after I order...which is what the quartz fabricator did. I wasn't "badgering" anyone for the wholesale price of the quartz. I was asking for the price difference between Daltile One pricing groups, with the fabricator's installation price included. For all I know, he would have charged me the same if I had purchased from price group 3 instead of price group 4. And since I can't find any price comparisons for Daltile One online, I didn't know if I got a good price or not.

• User
    2 years ago

Those are questions for your chosen *fabricator*, not the quartz wholesaler. Youre still going around asking the price of eggplants. Not eggplant parmesan.

• CeeWhy
    2 years ago

Again, I did not ask the *wholesaler* for their pricing. I asked the *fabricator*, and he would not tell me *his* price difference between pricing groups. I was asking *here* for comparisons *with installation*.

When I walk into a home improvement store and see a display with quartz countertop pricing *with installation* it tells me the price for group A, B, C, etc. I know what to expect. Daltile's showroom told me what slabs were in what pricing group. The fabricator would not tell me *his* price difference with installation between group 3 (a less expensive group) and group 4 (which is what I chose). Like most homeowners I have a budget, and wanted to know the *fabricator's* pricing to decide whether I went with group 3 or group 4, and he would not tell me until I ordered.

Do you go to a restaurant and ask the difference in price between chicken parmesan and eggplant parmesan, and the cook says that he won't tell you the price until you have already ordered? How is that asking for the price that the restaurant paid for the supplies? I'm not sure where you're getting that I am asking for wholesale pricing. Please, go eat some eggplant parmesan and move on.

• HU-819414396
    2 years ago

@CeeWhy, thank you for sharing pics. We are deciding between Valor White and Muse by LG. My biggest concern with Valor is how the edges look, particularly the veining and how they appear on the sides. Would you mind sharing some pics of the edges particularly in these areas. I guess it's no secret the veins don't go thru full thickness with Daltile, but I'd just like to see how the finish looks. thanks. Love the look of your island by the way.

• CeeWhy
    2 years ago

@HU-819414396

Here are pics of the areas you had circled. Valor White's veining has areas where there are "breaks" in the vein, so the veins ending here are consistent with the rest of the veining on the slab (see last photo). Sorry if the first 2 pics look yellow, the blinds are open and the sun is starting to set. The last photo is the more accurate color. Valor White is very similar to Jasmine White, which looks (to me) like Valor without the veining. If you notice between the veins, there are gray flecks throughout. The edges of the countertops have these flecks as well, so the veining not going through the slab doesn't bother me at all.

• Amanda Hoekstra
    2 years ago

@CeeWhy what type of edge is your counter top? Beautiful kitchen! I noticed you have white cabinets in the back ground does the counter look white against your cabinets or more grey hue? Thanks so much for your photos above, so helpful!

• CeeWhy
    2 years ago

@Amanda Hoekstra thank you! My cabinet guy called it "flat polished edge". I think my countertop looks white against the cabinets, but not a bright white if that makes sense? My cabinets are painted SW Extra White, I believe. The countertop does look a little darker when lights are off vs when they're on, but I don't think there's a gray hue. My lights are 4000k.

Lights on

Lights off

Lights off

Lights on

• Amanda Hoekstra
    2 years ago

Thank you! Yes this is exactly what I needed to see. My sample I have is very grey and I want it to look like this. I appreciate your response so much.

• msmodernshopper
    last year
    last modified: last year

Update: I just had Daltile Independence Calacatta installed. I looked at many options but ended up on this one since it was the only slab large enough to avoid a seam in the island. The veins have a cooler tone which doesn‘t show up well in the photos. The veins do partially carry through on the edges (initially a concern of mine) but they're so light it’s not very noticeable. Cabinets are SW Pure White.

• Delta Victor
    last year

@msmodernshopper - How do you like the Daltile overall? Is the price point cheaper than other brands? Any details on durability, stain resistance, etc?

We were going to choose between Silestone Eternal Calacatta Gold or Daltile Independence Calacatta.

• msmodernshopper
    last year

@Delta Victor It’s very pretty and subtle. I like Daltile as a brand and have selected a few other Daltile finishes for this home. They are always friendly and generous with samples (at least when I was there about a year ago).

Independence calacatta is quite white & bright if thats the look you’re going for. It’s a new construction and haven’t moved in yet so can’t comment on durability, stain resistance, etc. My sample has been scuffed by other samples and I was able to wipe it clean with just my finger. I have the polished finish.

This was priced through the builder and was an upgrade from their standard level. I don’t know how it‘s pricing compares with other brands because it was the only one I had them price. I *think* Independence calacatta was Daltile’s highest level (5?) but it’s been so long since I was at the showroom I don’t remember. I would think it’s level is comparable with Silestone calacatta gold due to the degree of veining.

• allie
    last year

@msmodernshopper What did you pay for the Daltile Independence Calacatta slab(s)? (or just price per sq. ft. if it wasn't broken out by materials vs. labor)

• Ashlie Brady
    last year

@CeeWhy Do you mind telling me how your Valor White quartz have held up? I'm about to pull the trigger on Valor White tomorrow and it's killing me I can't find any long term reviews or information on them. Do they stain easily ? Chip? Thank you so much! I love your photos ! We even have the same flooring ☺️

• CeeWhy
    last year

@Ashlie Brady go ahead and pull the trigger! My Valor White has held up perfectly! No stains or chips. They don't stain easily in my experience. Any time something has discolored the countertop (I can't even think of an example, it happens so infrequently), a spritz of bleach cleaner has taken the discoloration right off.

I am also loving my floors! Both Valor White and Finally Mine have been my favorite choices I made in my house.

• Ashlie Brady
    last year

@CeeWhy Omg thank you so much for replying! I have been stressing so bad about this! This makes me feel so much better. It took me a month and 50 samples to select the flooring and that choice paid off, because I love my Finally Mine floors. I was worried I would misfire with the countertops lol. This is so reassuring!

I'm going tomorrow morning to look at my slab one more time just to verify the undertones in the white of the slab match the sample. I've heard horror stories of slabs varying in color tone between batches and I'm terrified of getting a yellow toned white counter.

Do you find the veining to still look subtle once installed? In the warehouse when looking at a huge slab , it looks subtle, worried once it's in a small bright kitchen it will be super dominant, which I don't want. Thank you so much ! You're an angel for replying !

• CeeWhy
    last year

@Ashlie Brady my kitchen is also small and bright and the veining is still subtle, on both the large island and the smaller counters (which is what I wanted). Very happy with how they turned out! I had to have 2 slabs (we also used Valor White in our laundry room and for our master vanity) and I don't see any variation in color tone, so hopefully that eases your mind!

How funny that our tastes are so similar! Flooring, countertops...if you tell me that your walls are also painted Agreeable Gray and your trim is Pure White, I will wonder if we are twins separated at birth. 😂

When I was looking online at flooring I kept seeing different pictures of some that I really liked. When I would click on the picture to find out what it was, it was Finally Mine every. single. time. So I knew it was the one!

I hope you'll come back and post pics of your Valor White when it's installed!

• Ashlie Brady
    last year

@CeeWhy My trim is Pure White and so are ny ceilings 😂 My walls are Edgcomb gray though. And the SAME happened to me with my floors. Every picture I clicked on I loved was Finally Mine So, we upped the budget for them.

I just finalized my Valor White today and went to the warehouse to look at the slab one last time and unfortunately found a small (smaller than a pea) black dot that looks like a dye deposit in the stone. I panicked and called my fabricator telling him I can't have a black dot in the middle of my white counters! It will be an eye sore.

He is amazing thankfully and promised me that we can play around with the template of my counters and try and cut the dot out or hide it in a corner where my decor can cover it. It's literally the last slab available in Houston right now, so I just went for it and pray my fabricator can work his magic.

I'm a perfectionist when it comes to big investments, so I will be in panic mode until Monday when we get the slab and see what we can do. Praying there aren't more dots I missed. It's so hard to notice them when looking at a HUGE slab at once in a dark warehouse.

Your kitchen is what made my mind up though on choosing the slab. Your detailed pictures and descriptions were a blessing for me and my sanity, so thank you!! I'll keep you updated. I'm adding a picture of the dot.

• PRO
    User
    last year

Resin pooling is normal in all quartz manufacturers. If you cannot accept small inclusions of color, then no quartz manufacturer will be suitable to you. That is incredibly insignificant in the world of resin pooling. It is like a beauty mark. Up to a quarter size are possible without being considered a flaw.

• CeeWhy
    last year

@Ashlie Brady so glad I could help!

The quartz countertops in my old house were the speckled variety. They were very dark, almost black, with flecks of lighter brown and black throughout. They looked great, other than one area had a spot about the size of a nickel where brown resin had pooled and it looked like someone had dropped a blob of melted milk chocolate on the countertop. Like @User said, that is the nature of quartz/resin and I knew that when I went with quartz, but it still bugged me (I didn't see the whole slab ahead of ordering, just a sample). Luckily it was in a less-conspicuous area, and the quartz was busy enough that I'm sure nobody would have noticed the blob unless I pointed it out to them. But *I* still knew about it! 😂 So I totally get you! I hope your fabricator can hide the black dot and all goes well!

• Ashlie Brady
    last year

@Frank and Frank

I have researched quartz for months and realize that this does happen from time to time and can be the nature of the beast.

However, I don't feel like this is something that everyone should just be expected to accept. Respectfully, if you're paying thousands for material, I don't think it's unreasonable to not expect a noticable defect potentially smack dab in the middle of your counters.

I personally am moving forward since it was the last slab and I'm trusting my fabricator can either cut or disguise it in a corner somewhere.

It just sort of boggles my mind that there isn't better quality control put in place to stop slabs like these from even making it to the warehouse. And if it's something that is unavoidable during manufacturing, I'm shocked a solution hasnt been discovered to avoid it.

I'm just praying I didn't miss more and there aren't several scattered throughout the slab. Because black dots scattered throughout a white countertop isn't something, in my opinion, that would or should be okay.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

• Ashlie Brady
    last year

@CeeWhy

See, that would bug me, but not enough to stress over it like I am with this one, because the speckled and multi colored nature of the quartz would help disguise the defect enough to where it would jump out at you. A bright white counter with a random black spot would be a noticable ,out of place eye sore.

As long as we can disguise it in a corner or even some place where my countertop decor can cover it, I'll be okay. Unless of course there are more that I missed, in which case , yes, this lady will be heartbroken. Thank you though for letting me know I'm not alone or crazy for being bugged by it!

Slab arrives tomorrow at my fabricator's shop, I'll be there when it does and take pictures. I'll also show you pics when it's finally installed! 😊

I was going to ask you, did you ever get a backsplash installed? Just curious what you went with and if it's similar to mine 😆

• CeeWhy
    last year

@Ashlie Brady no backsplash yet! I'd love to see a picture of what you have. I haven't even looked around for backsplash tile yet. We've been focused on finishing our basement for the past few months and I just couldn't bear the thought of throwing another project into the mix!

• Ashlie Brady
    last year

@CeeWhy

I've narrowed it down to two options, but like you, I will be going without a backsplash for a while lol. I am getting all new cabinet doors , drawer fronts and drawer boxes , so budget dictates backsplash has to wait till after Christmas- which always carries a huge budget due to my kiddos.

I've narrowed it down to Bedrosians- Cloe Tile in White

or

a 2x8 white subway tile in herringbone pattern.

I'm waiting until countertops are installed to finalize my choice. It's so hard!

Oh, and I did have one more question- did you go for the more prominent veining portion of the slab for your island ? Or is the island have more of the subtle veining pattern of the slab?

I have to finalize my template tomorrow and I'm torn between having more veining on my peninsula/bar area which will be a large surface area , or putting more minal veining there and having the more prominent veining be on my more narrow , long running countertop where my sink is.

I love the look of your island ! That's why I ask which you have ☺️

• CeeWhy
    last year

@Ashlie Brady my fabricator did the more prominent veining on the island, since it's my largest surface area. I don't recall him asking how I wanted it, I didn't know I had a choice. Good thing I like what he did! 😅

I wonder if your slabs look like mine? Mine sort of reminds me of looking out an airplane window and seeing a "vein highway" where all the roads originate from a city center. Or all roads lead to the city center. If that makes sense. That's what is in the middle of my island.

I am not home to take a picture, so I tried Googling Valor White images online to describe my veining, and my photos that I submitted to Houzz on this thread came up in my search. That was kind of surreal!

ETA: I love your tile choices! Tough pick!

• Lisa Giametta
    last year

For anyone looking for pics of Valor white, thats what we chose last minute and absolutely LOVE it. we've only had it for two months… so far so good. its a nice cool, white that looks great with our white cabinets, navy island and white backsplash!

• Ashlie Brady
    last year

@Lisa Giametta

Mine was installed today and I LOVE it. The only thing I am annoyed with is that some spots look streaky from where the plastic film that was over the slab for so long has left like a residue ? It's hard to explain and it doesn't even show in pictures , just when day light hits it a certain way. Just looks like you wiped the countertop but didn't finish drying or buffing.

It's very subtle and my fabricator was able to clean some of them off which gives me hope, they all can come off.

What cleaner do you use to clean them daily that won't leave streaks ? I know warm mild soap and water , but you have to rinse that after and doesn't seem practical for wiping multiple times a day.

Any suggestions ? Do you ever have streaking problems ?

Beautiful kitchen btw! Looks so good!

• Ashlie Brady
    last year

@CeeWhy

I chose the more prominent veining area for mine too! For the same exact reason, because it was the largest surface area. I LOVE it so much.

I posted pictures below!

Did you have any issues with streaks right after install? My fabricator got some off so I know they are able to be removed, he is coming tomorrow to finish a thorough cleaning . You can only see them when daylight hits a certain way, very subtle, but still annoys me.

Fabricator thinks it's residue from plastic film left over slabs for long periods.

What cleaner do you use for daily cleaning ? Soap and water leaves streaks at times. I tried Granite Gold daily quartz cleaner but that seems to leave a film because it makes fingerprints show up super noticably, so I'm ditching that one.

Any suggestions?

Oh and I zoomed in on your island pic and was able to tell exactly which part of the slab it was by comparison to mine, so I our slabs are the same from what I could see!

• Lisa Giametta
    last year

@Ashlie Brady your counters look beautiful!!

i have this E cloth and you only use water. it says its for glass, but it works great on stainless, counters, windows, whatever. i’m so scared to use the wrong product on them lol.

E-Cloth Window Cleaning Kit, Premium Microfiber Glass and Window Cleaner, Great for Shower Glass Doors, Indoor & Outdoor Windows and Car Windshield, Washable and Reusable, 100 Wash Guarantee, Orange https://a.co/4KB77RP

• CeeWhy
    last year

@Ashlie Brady they look so good!! I'm so glad you like them!

I don't remember any streaks after install. I clean mine with generic Clorox wipes (bleach-free), or just a damp microfiber cloth. The cloth seems to take care of any streaking.

• Amy Ricketts
    last year

I have Valor white too - I have for a year and LOVE it.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

"Any suggestions?"

Magic Countertop

• Ashlie Brady
    last year

@Joseph Corlett, LLC Just the man I was hoping would chime in. I always look for your advice in these threads. I googled the Magic Countertop and will be giving it a try.

I've tried every "mild" cleaner and nothing has worked so far. I did try some acetone on a scrap piece and it worked. I lightly buffed it on and then rinsed the area with water then dried it.

From what I've gathered, acetone is fine if applied with a white cloth, not rubbed too hard and not left on too long. Yes?

I haven't gotten the balls yet to try it on my actual countertops yet though. I'm terrified.

My fabricator had his guys do a spot with lacquer thinner and it worked, but you can see wipe marks where his rag traveled outside the spot but didn't quite fully clean the surrounding area. Which validates my theory that the whole top is covered in a residue of some sort. And will need to be evenly cleaned all together.

Haven't found any info on lacquer thinner being used, just acetone. So I'm nervous to let them do the rest of the counters. Even though they would replace it if it was damaged.

The residue makes every fingerprint show up and stay. I have to wipe the whole area to get rid of them. Is that normal? Fingerprints aren't supposed to be that noticable right ? Unless the surface is greasy or grimey?

Is the residue from the plastic film they keep over it? I'm so confused, ugh. Love your expert opinion.

• CeeWhy
    last year

@Amy Ricketts they look great! I love seeing other people's pics of Valor White! 🙌🏼

• HU-647459265
    last year

@Ashlie Brady I have Daltile Liberty Calacatta and it has a permanent streak in the center of the island. they have already replaced it once due to the same issue. We are waiting on our fabricator to get more slabs in and they will replace it yet again. I have a feeling something is being done during the manufacturing process that makes these streaks visible. You can’t always see the streaks when the slab is standing up, only once its laying flat, so that makes it hard to know if they are there prior to install.

• Ashlie Brady
    last year

This makes me feel a tiny bit better since now I think it MAY be possible the streaks werent caused by my fabricators guys using the lacquer thinner.

I know for a fact though lacquer thinner dulls the finish, creates a hazey look that can only be seen in certain light/angles. I tested it on my scrap piece.

I let my fabricator's guys wipe the whole countertop evenly again (before I did my large test on scrap piece) and it got rid of the streaks, however it didn't actually remove them. They just slightly dulled the entire countertop finish evenly this time.

Trying to decide if it's worth making them replace it since I'm terrified, my new slab will have a different or even worse issue. Which seems to be what's happening to you.

The streaks are gone, but my tops have lost a small amount of shine. If I knew for certain the durability of them wasn't now compromised and they won't stain easier now, then I would be more likely to just live with it.

Is your streak only noticable in certain light/angles ? Or is it noticable all the time?

My streaks were everywhere, like on every section in my kitchen.

Was Daltile easy to work with? This was my fear all along and I hate that it has become reality. The luck of the draw and per usual, I drew the short stick. As did you 😔

• HU-647459265
    last year

@ Ashlie Brady I tried attaching a photo before and it didnt work, so I’m trying again. Because I know its there, I can see it from almost every angle. But most people can only see it when the light is shining a certain way. I also have some splotchy areas by my sink that are more difficult to photograph. Daltile has been ok so far, but I’ve been waiting for months for them to get more slabs in. I really don’t want them to change the island slab out again either, but I dont know if i can live with this.

• Ashlie Brady
    last year

It won't let me tag your name, so I'm hoping you're getting notified when I reply!

That looks EXACTLY like mine, except mine are everywhere. My kitchen is surrounded by large windows so maybe that's why I'm able to see so many? Or maybe my guys just consistently rubbed too hard 🙄

Does your kitchen have a lot of natural light coming in from different directions? May be possible you have more but just can't see them. The small section near my stove doesn't get direct light and it's the only spot that looks normal. It's deceiving.

Do you know if your fabricators guys have been wiping your counters with acetone or lacquer thinner after they install? That may be why it keeps happening?

I've researched literally hours daily, even called other fabricators and it is VERY common for them to wipe the counters off with one of those cleaners to get rid of any epoxy, markings from cut lines, water spots made during fabrication etc.

From what I've gathered most brand countertops aren't effected, HOWEVER, I believe Daltile's tops don't react well to it.

I was able to recreate the streaks near identical by wiping my scrap piece with acetone and lacquer thinner (if you rub even a little too hard. Didn't take much pressure)

I got the last slab in Houston apparently and I don't even know if they have gotten anymore in, so I may be in the same boat as you.

I'm like you, the streaks were driving me crazy after saving and hunting down my tops for months. And even though they are gone now, it is annoying me that my top has lost some shine and doesn't look as smooth in raw light. Still debating with myself if it's worth a redo.

Keep me updated! I'm very curious as to how your situation works out. Wishing you all the luck. I feel your pain 😔

Click pick and zoom in. You can see the streakiness I created.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

Ashlie:

I have been in the engineered stone business since it's inception and have never been able to get any engineered stone to be affected by wiping with lacquer thinner and/or acetone.

• HU-647459265
    last year

Ashlie,

Yes my kitchen is surrounded by natural light so thats why I’m guessing these areas are so easy to see. I made sure our fabricators did not wipe the countertop whatsoever after installation. i thought it could've been what caused the problem with our first countertop, however that doesnt seem to be the case since there are still marks with this second one. The areas were more splotchy with the first slab, and with the new one it just has one very large streak. It has to be something with how the manufacturer is finishing the slab. or maybe something the fabricator cleans it with after its been cut but prior to installation. I wish i could see what you are referring to in your photo. The picture is blurry and hard to see much if I zoom in.

• Ashlie Brady
    last year

@Joseph Corlett, LLC That may be the case, and I'm full aware that it is commonly used by fabricators and manufacturers alike to get rid of spots and clean up.

However, I know for a fact that it effected the Daltile finish. I have a 50x30" remnant piece that I tested it on, multiple spots. You can see plain as day where it was applied when light hits it. I'm not denying that with most brands it's been okay, but I trust my eyes in this particular situation, because, well, I literally watched it happen.

It just creates a light dulling/textured look on the surface- if you rub with any decent amount of pressure. Why my slab is reacting this way when others don't? Couldn't tell ya. But it absolutely, undisputably is effected.

So given what I know for an absolute fact, I wouldn't risk putting lacquer thinner on Daltile quartz. Unless mine is the odd ball out, which no way to know unless you try.

I'm aware of your extensive knowledge and years of experience and I fully believe you when you say you've done it without issue. However, in this case, it did cause an issue.

Not worth replacing since it's all pretty much even now, just looks a bit duller/. I will ask you though, do you think that since the finish HAS been effected, do you think this has compromised the durability of the tops? Not as resistant to staining etc ? That's what I'm worried about now.

• Ashlie Brady
    last year

@User Victimhood? If I pay a massive amount of money for a product and it's defective, it's worthy of asking some questions and seeking a solution. That's just common sense, not victimhood.

And seeing as how you've never seen either of our stones, I don't think you're in the position to make that claim.

If myself and everyone around me is acknowledging the defects then there quite literally is something wrong with it.

I hope you don't work with stone in any way because if your half ass, condescending reply is any indication of your worth ethic then God help your customers.

Smh, there's always one in every thread. Guess here, it's you. 🙄

• Ashlie Brady
    last year

@HU-647459265 It's so hard to photograph because of how dependent it is on lighting to be seen. But it's a noticable difference, verified by anyone who sees it.

I hope you get it worked out. If it were me (replacing again), I would make sure to mention to the fabricator not to wipe the tops down with anything in the warehouse after they are cut, it's possible they do. It would just make me feel better to say it just in case, given what I've witnessed with my own eyes in real time.

Can't hurt, can only possibly help.

Dealing with this sucks, I don't care what anyone says, it matters, and we aren't crazy for caring. Months of planning, researching, saving, driving around to stone shops etc. It's okay to expect and want a defect free product. Good luck! Keep me posted.

• PRO
    User
    last year

Ashlie, it is perfectly safe to wipe off the protectve film adhesive residue with acetone. It will not damage the quartz. I suspect that it just hadn’t been cleaned well enough to remove all of the residue. Yes, that residue can appear shinier than the cleaned stone. It is not removing the shine from mechanically polished stone. That isn’t how it works. Your fabricator may come and finish cleaning your counters if you call and ask nicely. If you accuse them of palming off defective products on you, good luck. It isn’t defective.

• Ashlie Brady
    last year

@Magnolia Stone and Tile Thank you, for giving me another explanation for the difference I am clearly seeing with my own eyes.

That actually makes sense and I would much prefer that be the case. I LOVE my fabricator, I've been nothing but respectful to him and he has been nothing but amazing to me. I was praying it would be from something NOT caused by him.

I was just needing some type of rational explanation for why I am seeing an obvious difference between the test spots and the rest. An explanation and not a denial of my eyes.

Fabricator did come out and clean the tops evenly, removing the streaks , but left the tops looking just like my test spot which is duller/gritty. That's where my confusion and questions were coming from. I have no intention on replacing them.

I was just worried the finish had been effected and therefore they may not be as durable. If your explanation is correct though, then I guess that worry is irrelevant.

• Ashlie Brady
    last year

@Magnolia Stone and Tile and it was lacquer thinner they used not acetone. Although, I guess it makes no difference.

• CeeWhy
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

@Ashlie Brady do you have an update on your countertops? I am so curious whether they were able to get the streaks off or if they had to replace them?

I am also curious what backsplash you decided on. I still don't have mine!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!