SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Soil Temperatures Are So Nice And Warm!

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Four Inch Bare Soil Average Temperatures

I've linked my favorite Soil Temperature Map above. This is the OK Mesonet 3-day average soil temperature map at 4" below bare soil. While I look at this map daily as planting time approaches, I also use a soil thermometer to check my own soil temperatures as well. Our weather at our house often does not match the weather at our county's Mesonet station, so I watch my own weather and make gardening decisions based on the weather we're having here, not what they're having a few miles away at the Mesonet station.

Today's map has what seems to me to be some really nice soil temperatures for mid-February. How nice?

If it wasn't 32 degrees outside right now, I'd be talking myself into putting my early (purchased) tomato plants in the ground. Instead, I will leave them in their pretty green plastic pots and lug them outdoors in the mornings and indoors at night. There's 11 of them. That's a lot of lugging pots around, but I don't mind it. The payoff is that we get to harvest tomatoes from them in late April while our own home-grown plants are still relatively small.

See, this is what happens when we get abnormally warm daytime highs in mid-winter---it can trick a gardener into thinking the soil has warmed up adequately, which it sorta has. The catch is that we have no way of knowing if soil temperatures will stay at these levels. I wish they would, but I doubt they will. I already see one night in the 30s in my county next week, so I'm trying to rein in my compulsion to put tomato plants in the ground just because the soil temperatures and air temperatures (after this morning warms up) will be in the right range in February.

Can you trust a soil temperature of 55 degrees in mid-February? Probably not. Well, probably not at least 9 years out of 10. Or maybe 19 years out of 20. Is this that one year when incredibly early tomato planting would be possible? If only we could know the answer to that for sure!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County