SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merlena87

Tell about your Austin Roses

Sara-Ann Z6B OK
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I've been trying to figure out a good reason to "Tell about your Austin Roses," since there is already so much on here about them. Since this series about the different breeders is to tell about the ones we have, good and bad, I figured this might be a good way to learn which ones do the best or worst in different areas.

I only have two, planted in 2015, Darcey Bussell and Lady of Shalott, think they will be okay, but got a slow start. I will admit that I am envious of several of you who grow these beautiful roses. There is still quite a few weeks until most of us will have roses blooming and I would love to see and learn more about your Austins!

Comments (58)

• User
    8 years ago

Everyone here probably knows 'Heritage' is a 24 hr. bloom. Good growth here on Dr. Huey once established (about 5 years). Only 1 octopus cane after ? 22 years. Floriferousness be damned. Continual petal clean-up.

• Related Discussions

Tell Me About the Austin Rose 'Emanuel'

Q

Comments (8)
    I think the reason you don't hear much about this rose is because Austin dropped it from his lineup because of its lack of blackspot resistance. Blackspot is quite rare here so this rose is disease free for me. In my climate it repeats really well. Color intensifies in summer. I haven't figured out if it is intense heat or intense sunlight that causes it. Last summer I noticed that Emanuel and Crown Princess Margareta were the same color. Crown Princess fades and Emanuel darkened to matching shades. I have a couple of pictures of Emanuel at help me find showing the different colors. It has a good licorice type fragrance. Mine is own root and in full sun and only gets very late afternoon shade. I think you made a great choice (as long as you don't live in a major blackspot area). PS. Jeri, that's interesting what you say about the multiflora wearing out. One of my WS2000s on multiflora became chlorotic and started declining and I found a touch of blackspot and mildew on the other one of them. Never a bit of disease on my Huey-WS2000. I am gaining new respect for Dr. Huey, especially in my almost 8 ph soil.
    ...See More

Tell about your Kordes Roses

Q

Comments (43)
    sutekesh Not exactly a fashion thing as Belami is a beautiful Kordana but a practical business decision of the Kordana growers in N. America which can only offer so many varieties in a mixed box and the pastels are less popular in general. I would buy this rose over the stronger colors, but I must be a minority in N. America. Yes you are right we did patent it. On names I sometimes have to laugh at all of this because I see posts about names and how terrible the German names are on this site. When we give it a better commercial name for the North America market or in another country then there is criticism on that. I guess there is no winning on the subject! For all the advanced rose lovers use the denomination in the case of Elegant Fairy Tale it is KORterschi. It never changes the world over. It is the legal name and all breeder rights and patents are filed under this name. You will never be confused. Plus all Kordes varieties start with the letters KOR which makes it clear who the breeder is. Same for all other breeders the varieties always start with a standard breeder code.
    ...See More

Please Tell Us About Your Best Ten Roses

Q

Comments (106)
    I bought my Francis Meilland from a nursery clearance three years ago as a half-dying potted bareroot rose, and it bounced back pretty well. I put it in a pot for one year, and after two years being in the ground, no matter how hard I pruned it back, it grew to 7 feet tall. (I removed about 3 feet from each stem after the first flush.) It's not stingy for me at all, blooming regularly every 5-6 weeks. Maybe it just needs some time to mature. I only fertilized once in March and water my roses every three days in summer. We're not as hot as other states/countries, though. Photo taken 3 days ago.
    ...See More

Tell me about yellow David Austin roses.

Q

Comments (30)
    PnP, I put in a black metal fence around the front part of my yard and plan to grow her on the part abutting my driveway. It's between her and Teasing Georgia... whoever gets to planting size first, but think the colour of JA might suit this place better. I hope to get Quicksilver to plant next to her to mingle a bit and loligag over the fence. I had planned to plant Annie Laurie McDowell next to her on the other side, but all my cuttings froze out. : ((((( My only concern is that her general flower shape will over shadow the more delicate forms of Cornelia and Felicia. I'll just have to see how it goes! : )) I have high hopes for this fence line. : )) The only other person growing her was in BC that I could find. It did GREAT there! Monarda, setting is everything sometimes, isn't it? Comtesse, I will read about first, but usually these bags are so cheap, I think it might be worth a try! If it does BS, at least my friend will understand why it takes me so long to decide on varieties. He's a very impetuous buyer and lucked out with his first roses setting the bar high. Until one has seen formerly beautiful roses completely defoliate, it's hard to understand.
    ...See More
  • User
    8 years ago

I forgot to mention that I use Osmocote for roses exclusively on all my roses... Put 1/4 cup on each rose in March and it holds them until August when I have to stop fert and cutting to prepare for winter. All my keeper Austins put out 2-3 flushes of bloom except Perdita which never stops. Great fun! Keep buying Austins and shovel out the ones you don't like, but give them time to come in to their own if you like the color and fragrance. They are so much better with age.

Beth, thanks for the photo of Ambridge rose... I'll bite on that one, even if I don't have the space. :)

• nicholas_delo 7a
    8 years ago

This is my Graham Thomas grown as a shrub. It blooms profusely in the spring, and then again with a smaller display in the middle of summer and fall in Zone 7b. I find it fairly disease resistant with spraying.

It's growth habit is quite upright, so it takes some heavy pruning. It requires some support as the dense petals collect a lot of water during a rain and get heavy enough to snap canes if I'm not careful.

The plant below took a few years to get established and start shining.

Here is my Shropshire Lad, grown on a structure with Clematis. It's less impressive, but I think I'm still getting the hang of figuring out the correct way to prune something grown on a pillar.

I also planted some Lady of Shallot and Benjamin Britten own-roots a year ago, but its too early on for me to tell much about them.

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Beautiful roses Rebecca and Nicholas. The combination of the clematis with your Shropshire Lad is lovely, Nicholas.

• Lisa 8b
    8 years ago

Oh I love that Cressida! It doesn't look like David Austin offers it anymore :( boo

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    8 years ago

Perhaps I shouldn't inflict my pics on you again and again--I've shown these Austins so often--but here in mid-winter, I love playing around with pictures of my sleeping roses--which won't be blooming again until May.

This is zone 6 (Kansas) and some of our winters can be brutal, with lots of freeze-thaw-freeze-thaw in early spring. Lots of winter damage those years. This winter has been quite mild--so maybe my roses will get a better spring start this year--unless we get a couple of late blizzards in March--which has happened before on occasion, unfortunately.

The Austins that I spaded or lost:

• Mayflower--dependable, good disease-resistance--first Austin to bloom each year--but I found the blooms to be rather boring and the re-bloom rather slow.
    • Happy Child--loved those sunshiny yellow blooms, but it was a wimpy plant here--just wouldn't grow over 8-10 inches tall and had some BS problems,
    • The Alexandra Rose--very slow on re-bloom, and blooms faded very quickly to off-white--not attractive.
    • Mortimer Sackler--was a great rose for about 4 years--very floriferous and BS resistant--and then a really brutal winter damaged it and it spent the following summer slowly dying.
    • William Shakespeare 2000--another victim of a brutal winter-- slowly dying all summer. It was kind of a big sprawler, but with gorgeous blooms.
    • Anne Boleyn--smaller, delicate rose--quite charming, but mine was kind of weak and the blooms didn't last very long. It also didn't survive the brutal winter that the other ones above suffered.

And here are the ones that have done quite well for me. In my zone, most Austins, by the way, grow pretty close to the size listed in the DA catalog.

My favorite Austin, as you know, is Munstead Woods--the dark burgundy red rose center front in this pic. Yes, a prickly one, but good bloomer, good BS resistance (a few problems, but nothing big). Not as large as some of the well-known Austins. Nice rounded shape.

Directly behind it you can see part of the light pink climber The Wedgewood--fairly new but looks quite promising. Big fat full blooms, good rebloomer, fairly good BS resistance.

Molineux--another one of my favorites, also not as tall as some of the well-known Austins. I find that Austins 3-4 ft tall work best in my yard which isn't overly large. This one is a good bloomer and being somewhat vertical, looks especially good planted in multiples. Color changes from the apricot center shown below to yellow/gold or pale yellow and a nearly pinkish-apricot center.

Pretty Jessica--another not-so-large Austin, good bloomer, good BS resistance, good rebloomer. Grows right next to my back steps where I can admire it and smell it every time I walk in and out of the house.

Queen of Sweden--a somewhat taller and more upright Austin; lovely delicate pastel pink blooms with just a hint of apricot (hard to see in the pic), perhaps could rebloom faster, but has good Bs resistance and particularly good at withstanding hot summers. I had three of them in an informal hedge near my garage, but the space wasn't quite big enough, so I had to move them. They are scattered around the yard--any spot I could find (like the empty spot after Mortimer Sackler went to the great garden in the sky). This will be their third year in their new spots, so I'm hoping for a really good blooming this year.

Lady of Shalott--love the unusual color of this taller Austin--apricot/gold/yellow sometimes with a touch of pink. Sometimes it is so apricot that it appears nearly orange. Two pics below show the extremes. Not as floriferous as I had hoped, but it might need a bit more sun. Also not quite as BS resistant as I expected, but not real bad.

Here is a more apricot Lady of Shalott.

Scepter'd Isle--I love this one--has a slightly weeping shape and lovely blooms. Good rebloomer also. Could be a bit better on BS resistance, but not bad. This one replaced the spaded Mayflower.

The Pilgrim--climber. Mine isn't as vigorous as it should be and so far it hasn't been a strong bloomer at all, but when it does bloom, it produces these delicate pale yellow beauties. (Ignore the apricot centers--the camera does that for some reason.) It is going on its 4th year, so maybe it will improve. Must remember to water it more often--its kind of a waterhog. (So is Queen of Sweden, now that I think of it.)

Jubilee Celebration--another not-so-tall Austin; not very vigorous in my garden, but it puts out the most beautiful blooms. The pic shows the blooms as pink-- I have never really been able to catch all the subtle shadings--some touches of yellow at the base, a kind of salmon-hued pink, some people say with hints of blue although I don't see that. At any rate, really lovely colored blooms. Has the weak-neck problem, but that just gives them the "shy beauty" look. Has a little more trouble with BS than I'd like, but not a disease-magnet.

And in the spring, I will be planting Olivia Rose Austin and expect great things from her!

If I had the space, I can think of several others (like some of the ones posted above) that I'd also like to grow, but I'm at the point now where I have to wait for one rose to die before I can try out a new one. : (

Kate

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you so much Kate! I appreciate the info about your beautiful Austins. I certainly hope Olivia Rose is a great one for you, it looks like a good rose, it's a real beauty!

• Al Mitchell zone 5b (ameri2nal)
    8 years ago

Kate- I appreciate the thorough rundown and pics

Nicholas- Love that pic of Clematis with Shropshire Lad. I did the same thing with Abraham Darby, but lost AB to winter kill.

Rebecca- I'm missing my Cressida now after looking at your pics. I gave it away because I got tired of fighting the thrips. I loved the fragrance though.

Beth- I am not familiar with Summer Song, but I like the color of it in your picture.

I'll add a little to Radio Times.- The growth is awkward and is best planted in groups. I have an individual bush that gets 5X8 in my zone 5b garden, and this picture shows a clump of 5 that are planted about 1 1/2 feet apart. The fragrance is intense, and fruity. A lot like the cereal Fruit Loops. This one wants to send canes every which direction and they are very thorny. Many of the flowers face out or down, and they are nearly always in clusters. The repeat is excellent. I guess I need to take a picture when it has some flowers....

Shafira Asma- I like Sharifa because she is well behaved, a nice rounded shape with relatively compact growth. 6 x5 and nicely winter hardy. Upfacing blooms with
    excellent repeat. I have her planted in a mixed bed right by our front door. It's always a treat to stop for a sniff. Here's Sharifa with her neighbor Peter Mayle

Here's Abraham Darby

Abe was a trooper, and put up with a lot before he gave upon me and croaked. Fragrance was a 10 out of 10, but he wasn't as vigorous as I had hoped for and not nearly as winter hardy for me as some other Austins. I moved this one 3x, looking for the best local, maybe that had something to do with his lack of vigor. I never gave him full sun either, but he gave me lots of blooms for several years. These pics show AD with blooms held high, but I remember a lot of nodding blooms. Definitely not my favorite aspect of this rose.

English Garden

English garden is my only other Austin that i've lost to Winter Kill, (zone 5B). When it bloomed, it bloomed in spectacular flushes with a medium strength tea scent.

You can see the flowers fade in their different stages. Not a bad rose, but nothing that I felt compelled to replace. The growth was very mannerly and compact. It got about 3 feet tall for me.

• Lisa 8b
    8 years ago

Where do you guys buy your Austin's? Is it from their online catalog or somewhere else? I saw mine in Wholefoods but I have always wanted one but have hesitated at buying from their online website.

• User
    8 years ago

Kate, don't ever apologize for bringing out Austin photos... They are like showing off kids and grandkids, except they never get old! :) that Munstead Woods of yours is absolutely stunning!

Lisa, I buy my Austins from Heirloom Roses... 1 gallon size when I can.

Ameri... Parting with CRESSIDA...AARRRRGH!!!

• mnkittyz4
    8 years ago

Everyone's pictures are lovely.

• huckdog1
    8 years ago

Beautiful Austins! I need to sp a few of mine that do not look one thing like these!!! I do love them so. I will keep on trying to grow them, tho.

• User
    8 years ago

One of everything please.

• mnkittyz4
    8 years ago

In zone 4, I had 3 Heritage roses( own root from Heirloom). 1 died from moving too much. 1 died, I believe, from poor location. I had a clematis with it, and it is suffering too. The 3rd is doing great even though it didn't get fed or winter protection for 2 to 3 years.

St Cecilia (from Hortico own root) was slowly dying over a couple years on north side and not enough sun. Year before last I dug her up, and overwintered in my basement. Last spring planted her on the south side, and she took off. Loves the new spot.

St Swithun(I believe from Hortico) survived a couple years no food, no protection. We put an addition on our home last summer and had to move it. I think it will be fine.

The Wedgewood Rose (from David Austin-Texas-grafted) Was moved hottest time of year, didn't get fed or winter protection a few years. Amazingly, is doing fine.

Young Lycidas (grafted-David Austin) North side, also neglected a couple years. Did have snow cover. Doing pretty good considering.

Geoff Hamilton (Hortico own root) Despite my decision to let it die because of black spot and lack of bloom, it survived. No food, no protection and dirty looks from me. Well, last year it took off. My husband said it has the perfect shaped blooms.

I've had others I've killed, and a couple died from scale.

I've decided since these want to live, I'll start taking care of them, and now I have the desire to have more largely due to the lovely photos and info. on this sight, and they seem to like it here despite lack of care.

Sorry so long with no photos.

Kitty

• marcindy
    8 years ago

Kate, I will never tire of looking at the beautiful pictures of your roses. You and many others on here are always so generous in sharing advice and pictures, what could be better in the middle of winter! :-) The day I tire of seeing pictures of roses you might as well call the you know whom...lol

• nicholas_delo 7a
    8 years ago

Lisa,

I get all mine directly from David Austin's website. Some of the nursery's around here sell Austins, but they are pricey. Plus, if you order from the website, you can get whatever plant you wish and are not beholden to what the nursey has in stock.

Austin sends me a catalog every season and I use this to decide what to purchase from the website.

The bare-roots from Austin take a few years to get established, but once they have taken hold of your garden, they are quite lovely roses.

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I noticed when looking on the Heirloom website their Austin roses are now $40.00 each. Since that includes the cost of shipping, it's still not unreasonable, that is if the quality justifies it. Since I don't know about that, I can't say.

• nicholas_delo 7a
    8 years ago

I get mine from Austin's US site -->

https://www.davidaustinroses.com/american/advanced.asp

The prices here seem better.

• fragrancenutter
    8 years ago

I really like the

• fragrancenutter
    8 years ago

I really like the shape of DA roses but most of them have thin delicate petals that fry easily in my hot dry climate so I only have a few that are more heat tolerant.

Evelyn is gorgeous and lasts very well as cut flowers:

Happy Child is quick to rebloom and always covered in flowers and buds:

Munstead Wood is another that is seldom without blooms:

PAOK has huge beautiful blooms but the bush shape is like an average HT:

Brother Cadfael is thornless and is best trained as a climber. The laterals are much more productive than the basal canes:

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Those are all beautiful, Frangrancenutter! I love your Happy Child, it's so pretty, they all are!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    8 years ago

Fragrance--I adore your Happy Child. Every time I see a pic, I think maybe I should try it again.

I have bought about half of my Austin roses from DA's online site (grafted, bareroot) and the other half, own-root, from Chamblees online.

And thank you, everyone, for encouraging me to repeat post some of my roses. And I will in the future also. Nothing like a audience of rose-lovers!

Kate

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Oh my goodness!!! Such beauty!!!

Fragrancenutter - I will never cease to be amazed by your Happy Child!!!

Everyone - wow!!!

Carol

• Al Mitchell zone 5b (ameri2nal)
    8 years ago

Yes, That looks like a very happy, Happy Child, Love the Brother Cadfael too.

I've bought a bunch of mine from Roses Unlimited and had good success.

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ameri, good to know you've had success with Austin Roses from Roses Unlimited.

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    8 years ago

I have been nuts over D.A. roses for a few years now and has been growing them ever since. D.A. roses marked the beginning of my appreciation of roses other than hybrid teas. I also realized that coincidently it reflects the changes in my life as well; like the hybrid teas, I sought perfection and order in my youth while nowadays I appreciate life the way as it is.

Golden Celebration and L.D. Braitwaite are my two oldest D.A. roses. They are probably around 15 years now. I based most of my experiences of D.A. roses on these two plants. They weren't impressive in the first few years but as it gets older, they have become showstoppers. Like all Austins, I've found the first flush to be most impressive. They bloom well but more sparsely in mid summer before another big one in the fall. I've also noticed that it depends on the weather as well. There are some years where the blooms are huge but others more regular. Golden Celebration has lots more blooms than L.D. Braitwaite but with a difference. GC has mostly blooms at the top like a bouquet and the canes are floppy therefore needs support. L.D. is has strong thick canes (which some are quite winter hardy even in my area) like old rose hybrids. These two are my tallest Austins so far as they reach 4 feet plus easily even though I prune it all the way down in the spring.

Mary Rose and Heritage are my next two older D.A. roses which are heading towards the 4th season. The first year, it wasn't impressive. The second year was just stunning with abundance of blooms while last year has been disappointing. That is why I believe weather play an important role in D.A. roses. Mary Rose is compact and small while Heritage is more of a mystery. The first and third year Heritage stayed small while the second it pulled a single octopus cane. Bloom wise I prefer Heritage as it is more delicate blush pink but unfortunately it doesn't stay long. Mine stay at least a few days if it is not too windy..lol.

Evelyn, Othello, Teasing Georgia, Crown Princess Margaret and Graham Thomas are the next group heading towards the third season. So far none of these has been impressive yet. I got the odd blooms last summer. Teasing Georgia seems to have more blooms of the whole group while GT is the stingiest. I have always wanted to grow GT for years but found it to be disappointing so far. This is my second try at growing it as the first GT died in its first year. Squirrels seems to like CPM canes as they chew on them for some reasons while leave the rest alone. I will make another assessment on this group later this season and let you guys know.

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you jj for telling about the different ones. I'm glad to know that your most established ones are doing so good. I am anxious to see what LOS and Darcey Bussell do this year.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    7 years ago

I just purchased my first DA, olivia rose austin. I did a ton of study before deciding on that rose. I have grown roses for years but this will be My first English rose. My question is, locstion. I actually bought it for the front yard next to the street but it is pretty Intense afternoon sun, northern exposure. I am zone 8A a.d summers get hot. So, may e too hot? I also have s location in the back yard with all day sun but not as Intense, ore southern exposure.

What do you think for location?

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    7 years ago

I just checked my list and I have 25 Austins! Here are my thoughts on them.

Abe Darby, I had to dig up this rose from its former spot when they dug up my yard. It was in a pot for 2 years. It's now in its new spot and going slowly, but surely. I loved the blooms on it and the fragrance. I grew it as a small climber, free standing. I gave it afternoon shade and it seemed to like that.

Carding Mill, Ken actually gave me this one, own root. It's still small, but I love the blooms.

Christopher Marlowe, I saw this at a show and had to have it. This is on Fortuniana and just planted this year, but had a very nice spring flush. It has been sleeping most of the summer but has recently put on a lot of new growth.

CPM, another one that was moved and is finally churning out nice deep apricot blooms. This is own root from J&P.

Darcey Bussel - love the color, own root, Chamblees, doing very well so far.

Fair Bianca, I LOVE this rose. It's small, front of the border, could also do well in a pot. Nice full blooms in clusters, pure white. Has an odd myrrh scent, which reminds me of salt water taffy.

Falstaff, I also got this at J&P own root. It languished in its old spot, was dug up and now has prime real estate in a new bed with imported soil. Doing very well. I may try to peg it to maximize bloom production.

Glamis Castle. I have two, in pots. Nice globular blooms pure white also with myrrh scent.

Golden Celebration, when she's good, she very very good, but when she's bad! HAS to be sprayed (unless you live in California). Color and scent to die for.

Graham Thomas. Another one I had own root, from Ashdown. It did not survive the big dig. I have a new one on Dr. Huey. Just planted this year, going slow, but had a spectacular spray on it this spring.

Heritage. Mine is virused, but is a bloom machine.

Lady of Shalott, first year, Dr. Huey, love it so far.

Molineux, first year, own root, got it from a friend. I hope it looks as good as Ken's one day.

Munstead Wood, again first year, Dr. Huey, this is a good one.

Perdita, I've had this for 9 years. It was in a bad spot, so I dug it up and it's now in a pot until I decide where to put it. Love the blooms

Sophy's Rose. If this rose had fragrance, it would be perfect. Good disease resistance for an Austin, but can get PM.

Tamora, one of my faves, was severely damaged in the Polar Vortex, but is in a pot being rehabbed.

Tea Clipper, bought from DA on a whim, I love the blooms, wants to be a climber. Right now all the blooms are way over my head.

Teasing Georgia, what can I say, a glorious monster covered in yellow blooms. Give it room and support.

Tess of the Dubervilles, just got this from a friend, I like the color, but I thought it would climb, so far it hasn't.

The Prince. Royal Purple, intoxicating fragrance. I won my first blue ribbon with this rose.

Tradescant. This is my second, this one is on Fortuniana, just planted this year. Fragrance and color to die for.

WS2000, has struggled A LOT, but I love the blooms.

• rosecanadian
    7 years ago

That's fabulous information!! Loved reading it all. :)

Carol

• nicholas_delo 7a
    7 years ago

Kristine,

I just planted an Olivia in a pot this summer in zone 7b in a very sunny spot, full sun almost all day. The only shade is in early morning, as seen in pic below. The rose is doing well for a new bare-root plant, in my experience. However, I do have to water it every day (more or less) cause it's in a pot in full sun.

• rosecanadian
    7 years ago

Oooh!!! The flowers on your Olivia rose look waaaaay nicer than mine. Maybe our rain, rain, rain is not giving it enough heat. Those flowers are stunning!!!! I was thinking I'd give mine away...but after seeing what it can look like...I'm keeping it. :)

Carol

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Carol, I am currently being surprised at how well my Olivia is doing, too. Because the flowers are so delicate looking, I thought ORA would be a wimpy grower and bloomer at least the first year. It's outpacing my new Julia Child right now and has left my truly wimpy, midget, Easy Does It, in the dust. Watch out Evelyn (she rules one end of this bed and nobody has challenged her for size). If you can get rid of that rain, I think your Olivia will charge ahead with pent up energy.

Boscobel has turned out to be a lovely rose with a nice growth habit, good rebloom, and is going to be pretty big in my estimation. Mine is a year old and looks two years old. Diane

Boscobel

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    7 years ago

Wow! I need some of that manure, Diane. Beautiful.

• devsense
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

have a Q for canadian rose enthusiasts , where do u buy your austins is there a Canadian mail order nursery . I was hoping pickering will reopen but that didn't happen. the US austin site now ships to Canada but at the current exchange rate not the cheapest option .hortico has v limited variery, found some in local nurseries but tired of the treasure hunt evry year .

Dev

• rose_crazy_da
    7 years ago

Hi Devsense - I got my Austin mostly from Sheridan nurseries (Heritage,CPM,Getrude..) but I found Vandermeer nurseries in Ajax has healthy and huge DA's. I have been obsessed with Red roses this year I don't know what it is , so I have been checking and emailing nurseries all over Ontario to find red DAs..Im still looking for Mustead wood....

• rosecanadian
    7 years ago

Diane - your Boscobel looks awesome!! I just love the colors, especially the pinker color. The petals are perfection!!! What is the fragrance like?? Come on heat and warm weather, I've got an Olivia Rose Austin that I want to see beautiful blooms from!!

Dev - I drive to Sherwood Park to pick up Austins there. Unfortunately they don't ship. Good luck on your quest!

Carol

• devsense
    7 years ago

Thanks rosecrazy :) , I called them and from their list I dont have Shropshire Lad and Winchester Cathedral will go pick them this weekend .

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    7 years ago

Beautiful Boscobel, Nanadoll! Does it smell like the Austin catalog says, like hawthorn? That was the main reason I did NOT get one!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Carol and noseometer, Thanks for your comments about Boscobel. I'm going to have to go out and smell Boscobel tomorrow--I confess I've never noticed its scent. I don't bring it inside for bouquets since it's so new. It's just this year that I noticed Augusta Luise's beautiful scent. I need to be more observant. Diane

• rosecanadian
    7 years ago

Yes!!! :) Fragrance is so important!! It adds a dimension I don't get from any other plant.

Carol

• fragrancenutter
    7 years ago

I'm with you Carol!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

I picked a couple of bouquets this afternoon, and discovered that Boscobel has a lovely, light, slightly sweet powdery scent. I love it. This is very subjective of course. The best smelling rose in these bouquets, to my nose, was Young Lycidas. Augusta Luise has a great scent, but it's a sharper, more penetrating scent. Evelyn and Frederic Mistral were not in the bouquets, and they are usually at the top for luscious smell. Diane

More Boscobel

Young Lycidas

• rosecanadian
    7 years ago

Diane - Your YLs are stunning!!!! Holey moley!!!! Bosobel is lovely too - but YLs are gobsmackingly gorgeous!!!

My YLs is a new bare root plant, but the canes go flouncing off in all directions. They're about 4 feet long!!!! Do you manage to get yours to behave by fiercly pruning??

CArol

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

YL, who smells reeeally good, is mostly propped up by his neighbors because mine has those floppy canes, too, and they go all over the place. He fits in well with Colette, Angel Face, Bernstein-Rose, and some hefty perennials. I'm not really sure how he stays standing because he's also on a slope looking downward. Somehow it works.

Thanks so much for those nice words. Is the rain still around? So sorry if it is. I would be so upset in your situation. Your attitude is beyond admirable. Diane

• rosecanadian
    7 years ago

No rain right now ... but more expected today.

Gotta go...but thank you very much, makes me feel a bit better. :)

Carol

• camieux
    6 years ago

I have been growing DA roses for over 20 years here in SE Pa. I love them, however about 5 years ago the dreaded rose rosette disease showed up in my garden and I find the DA are particularly affected. I am so depressed from losing so many roses. Strangely, the few HT's I have have not been affected. Many of my OGR too have succumbed. So sad, especially when I see all these beautiful photos! I found this site today, as I just bought a large Young Lycidas, full of blooms, and planted in a spot that has been RR "free". One can hope...would love to hear from anyone who is dealing with this disease.

These photos were taken 2 years ago, some of the healthy roses. The above on the tutier, Blairii #2, has succumbed.

• markhcooley
    6 years ago

I live on the Southern California coast, zone 10a. The climate is very moderate here. It never freezes, but seldom gets above 90 degrees F. I have a number of David Austin roses. All of them are beautiful when in bloom, but my worst performers have been Harlow Carr (gets more disease than the others), Heathcliff (very slow to start growing and blooming again after first bloom) and Crown Princess Margareta (so-so first bloom and repeat bloom). My best performers have been Olivia Rose Austin (immaculately healthy, very good repeat bloom), Tamora (repeats like a floribunda, intense myrrh fragrance), Young Lycidas (very healthy, good repeat, intense old rose fragrance), The Albrighton Rambler (grows along my 10 foot balcony with great vigor and extremely healthy foliage, has well-formed old fashioned rosette flowers, repeats well [unusual for a rambler]) and Teasing Georgia (huge plant that produces hundreds of big, full-petaled flowers each year and repeats well). All-in-all, David Austin roses are by far my favorites. They tend to be very healthy, most are fragrant, I prefer the old rose appearance of the flowers, and I like the plentiful foliage and over-all look of the plants.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    6 years ago

Mark, I agree with you about Olivia Rose , she is so healthy and I love her sweet color.

I just planted a bare root young lycidas 3 weeks ago and alredy it's just taking off . I think it's gonna be a great plant . One of my others that looks really fabulous that I just planted is Twilight Zone . It has quadrupled in size and has 6 buds.

I have so many new roses this year and each one will be a brand new color for me to experience I'm so excited.