SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_284226487

Tell me about yellow David Austin roses.

HU-284226487
4 years ago

I'm searching for a

- long lasting blossom on cane and in vase.

-lemony yellow

-strong fragrance.

I never thought I'd chose a modern reproduction over an O.G.R, but except for pale to light yellow Tea roses there doesn't seem to be an Old Garden Rose that is mid to deep lemon yellow, and is also remontant.

Thanks for your time.

Luxrosa.

Comments (30)

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    4 years ago

Golden Celebration and Teasing Georgia are great, but buttery yellow.

• Kenneth zone 7A - Southern Middle TN
    4 years ago

Im in love with the poets wife. She smells delicious .

• Related Discussions

Tell me about Austin's The Wedgwood Rose

Q

Comments (38)
    The Wedgwood Rose climbs very well and is a prolific bloomer in our Southern California garden. Spring, Summer, and into Fall, the lateral canes need to be cut back pretty regularly and new growth guided through the trellis, you really have to stay up on cutting and training. The scent when you hold the rose up to your nose is light and sweet, if pink was a scent it’d be the Wedgwood, and the soft pink shading is simply perfect! The blooms open fully and last nearly a week on average with new buds blooming all the time in the hot months of summer, note that our trellised roses get morning sun and late afternoon shade.
    ...See More

Help me ID my David Austin Rose

Q

Comments (3)
    Thanks you so much. I suspect you are right as I remembered it having an unusual name. I will try and find one if not now, a bit late probably, then next year. It broke my heart to see the empty space where it had been
    ...See More

David Austin Roses - help me choose!

Q

Comments (21)
    Kristine thanks for mentioning that you're not fond of RD the person. I liked many of his books as a kid but since then I have learned that as a person he was very problematic to put it diplomatically. I also would not want. aa rose named after him
    ...See More

Help me ID this David Austin rose

Q

Comments (11)
    Thanks. I don't think it's LoS, I remember googling it when I bought it and it was definitely a creamier yellow not a peach/orangey rose in all the official photos. I don't know if the new orangey shade is due to the heat or the fertilizer my father-in-law gave it when it was 'visiting' his for a few weeks prior to our move. I have Jude the Obscure and agree it's definitely not that. It's fragranced but not an especially distinctive scent. Could it be Graham Thomas? Or Charles Darwin, Charlotte, The Pilgrim, Teasing Georigia?
    ...See More
  • Alana8aSC
    4 years ago

I agree with Sheila, Golden Celebration , mine was grafted. How about yours Shelia? Teasing Georgia looks gorgeous! I have a baby in the ground from Linda!

One I can tell you I do not reccomend is Molineux. It does not do good here, for me. I don't know where you are, but someone always had such great things to say about it, it must have done good for him, but it doesn't for me. He was the reason I bought it though. I'm still hoping it will get better.

• User
    4 years ago

...this may not be relevant to you but I have grown the following yellow Austins as shrubs...

'The Poet's Wife'...'Graham Thomas'...'Vanessa Bell'...'Tottering by Gently'...'Imogen'... 'The Lark Ascending'... 'Blythe Spirit'... 'Molineux'...

...of these 'The Poet's Wife' is head and shoulders above the others... for lemony scent, deep colour, large full blooms... continuity of bloom, health and vigour... lasts reasonably well in a vase if picked early...

...if I compare it to say Julia Child, it blooms more continuously and has a better scent than that rose... it also blooms without cease in a spot with little direct sun...

...it's drawback is that it's rather ungainly... wide spreading and somewhat lanky... 5 x 6 foot... however it's airy manner sits well in a traditional English style cottage garden border... whereas Julia Child simply does not... I preferred Julias foliage yet unsuitable in my garden because she was like a large buxom Hollywood glamour girl amongst more demure English ladies... towering over them and pushing them to one side... she did not fit well to this type of border in my opinion... so Julia is gone..

I should like to try 'Charles Darwin'... it always sounds so nice and compact and appears to have everything TPW has in a smaller size...

• Kenneth zone 7A - Southern Middle TN
    4 years ago

Marlorena .... i agree the poets wife and graham are my favorite but poets smell is so intoxicating everytime i see a pic of her i can smell her and shes so healthy and i love her shrub like behavior . Her scent never fails to make my nose so happy .

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    4 years ago

Alana, I so admired Diane's GC, I threw that in as a winner because of hers. I only have TG.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

While not yet large enough to go in the ground, I have high hopes for Jayne Austin. I'd love to hear opinions from any growing her.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    4 years ago

Teasing GA is great. She blooms all the time but beware, she does get huge! I have 2 on this metal gazebo. This was early 2019. Next year they may tear it down.

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Jasmin, your TG is beautiful. Love your metal gazebo too :))

Where did you get your metal gazebo from or did you made it. Never seen anything like that before.

I saw TG ( pretty sure) in Feb 2018 and it is so big as a tree. Never paid much detail about how it was grown . The size is magnificent and i have debate since then about getting it.

I did went back in Feb 2019 just to learn more about the size , growth.......but it was gone :((

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    4 years ago

Hi Jin, I have 2 of them. I think I might have got it at Hayneedle online or somewhere. Its kinda flimsy and will definitely end up rusting here in FL like almost everything metal does. Even treated wood seems to rot fairly quickly and doesnt deter the termites but for a minute lol.

I figure if it rusts by the time I am ready to move, I wont have to take it haha.

Ive had it 2 yrs and no rust yet. I coated it with some black Rustoleum paint when I put it up, then I spot spray around the joints every spring after that.

Best bet in FL if you want it to last, is it to buy some heavy Vinyl lattice and make your own gazebo. We had cedar on a swing and even that rotted after 5 yrs.

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    4 years ago

You are so right ! It is bad here with our rain, heat, sun and bugs :(

• HU-284226487
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks to all of you. I've got my list narrowed down to 2 roses; Teasing Georgia and The Poets Wife, the only thing I might not like about Teasing Georgia is the peachy tones. I really do need a pure lemon rose.

-One more question, how big would 'The Poets Wife' grow to be in my garden near San Francisco, Ca?

Lux.

P.S. As much as I adore 'Graham Thomas' it grew to be an octopus shape in our garden, where it grew to be c. 5' tall, with 5-7 foot long canes curving out from the sides with blooms only at the ends. ( The canes appear, in shape, similar to the curvy shape of the blades at the bottom of a Cuisenart.) Gorgeous blooms, intense scent, but the strangest growth habit.

P.P. S Does anyone grow 'Tottering by Gently'?

4 years ago

I think Marla Rena has written about tottering by gently if you search for posts. Also Bay Area girl recently had some gorgeous posts of yellow roses. Would something like Carl plow Burger work? It is not a Austin. And that is not the spelling but my phone won't work. It is a Cordis

• kittymoonbeam
    4 years ago

I like Jude the Obscure for fragrance but it's not a strong repeater for me and is not what I think of as a lasting cut flower. But the perfume is one of the best. It changes through the year and is always complex and fruity.

• K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle)
    4 years ago

Lux, have you tried Marechal Niel? I know he is a bit less intense yellow than what you want, but he makes up for it with his remarkable blooms. Holds well in a vase for me (which makes sense, given the history of this rose's use as a cut flower). I know he has a bad reputation for dying suddenly, but I've had one in a pot for three years here in Seattle (I know, poor thing...) and I'll definitely plant it in the ground when I move (and re-plant, if he dies). He is soooo charismatic! If you aren't looking for a climber this might be a silly suggestion (well, there are plenty of other reasons why this might be a silly suggestion but I'll make it anyway).

• HU-284226487
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank K.S. for the excellent suggestion. I mean that sincerely

although 'Marechal Niel' broke my heart, like an unfaithful lover might.

I grew the sublime Marachal Niel for 3 years before it died. I dug it up to investigate whether a gopher had dined on its roots, but no, it had never developed much of a root system. The plant was nearly 6 feet tall but the root system could fit inside a bread bag.

I could not find a M.N. budded onto rootstock , So I grew Manetti, Gloire des Rosomanes and two others so that when I got a new M.N. I could bud it onto a vigorous rootstock. But over a period of 2 years I bought 3 rosebushes sold as 'Marechal Niel' and each one turned out to be a different rose cultivar. One was Bouquet d'Or' , Reve d'Or was the second, and the third was a pink rose. I was going to give Marechal Niel "pride of place at the front of my house, on a trellis. But after 3 "no shows" I've given up on having my favorite yellow rose in my garden. I think I'll have a little cry now. Lux.

4 years ago

Oh Lux, that is so sad! I wouldn't have brought him up had I known that you and the Marechal had such... complex history. If it is any help, I believe that Roses Unlimited has the actual Marechal Niel, not an impostor. That's where I got mine from (pic below -- if you don't think this is the correct rose please let me know). Someone posted last year, I think, about getting Reve d'Or instead of Marechal Niel, so this must be a common problem. I'd happily send you some cuttings if you want to try using them for grafting. If you are interested in that, PM me. Speaking of Reve d'Or, I wonder how he would do grafted onto Reve d'Or as a root stock? It is such a shame to think that you got so close to having a budded plant but didn't quite get there!

Below: Marechal Niel from Roses Unlimited

4 years ago

Lux, FYI I wrote to Burling recently to attempt to order Snowbird, and asked about a budded Marechal Niel. She said that she is trying to coax her plant to grow more so that she can get material for budding, but this is a project that may happen. You might want to email her to register your interest or get on a list for such a rose, when it is produced. I hate heartbreak. I always want to see a happy ending.

• comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
    4 years ago

Hi Lux!

I wonder whether you've considered the mid-20th Century large shrub/moderate climber, Golden Showers?

https://www.heirloomroses.com/golden-showersr.html

(This is the best set of pictures I could find of it online.)

Blooms are a clear, sunshiney-lemon yellow colour, with gorgeous maroon stamens that often show and and harmonise perfectly with its dark reddish-brown canes (which you can see in the third picture), set off by bright, healthy green foliage. The blooms do fade, but with a beautiful effect, so you see the range of tones at one time from shining bright yellow (with no peachy tones, at least not that I've ever seen on it) to soft yellow to ivory/cream. Overall effect is bright and cheerful but with lots of old-rose-like subtleties to attract the eye to linger.

I just thought I'd put in a good word for it, since it's one relatively modern rose that's always stopped me in my tracks, when modern roses are not on the whole to my taste.

Photographs, including those on HMF, rarely do justice to the attractive effect when you see the whole plant. You really have to see it to appreciate it, I think.

Fragrance is pleasant, somewhere between liquorice and honey, moderate strength. Repeats well all season. Generally considered very healthy, and vigorous, in most climates. And it's almost thornless.

Comtesse

:-)

4 years ago

Comtesse,

I've never been interested in that rose or realized how really pretty it is. I'm helping a friend with his garden and he wanted GSThomas, but I shot it down as it's meant to be BSy in our area. I'm going to read up on this as a substitute. Since it's easily availableas a body bag, we might just try it anyway and see how it goes. Thank you.

• comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
    4 years ago

It might be an idea to check for any local reports re BS on GS, Vaporvac. I did see one report of it BSing badly, but don't recall where that was.

Quite telling that it's still popular enough to be a body-bag candidate, nearly 65 years from its introduction. It seems I'm not its only fan!

• monarda_gw
    4 years ago

Speaking of GS Thomas, I remember being somewhat surprised at reading in one of his books that he thought very highly of Golden Showers. It used to be very popular, and I confess I had a prejudice against it. Then one day I saw it planted in one of those little front gardens in front of a extremely exclusive townhouses off of upper Fifth Avenue, and it was just beautiful. It's funny how that kind of a setting elevates almost any flower.

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    4 years ago

Just wanted to put in a recommendation for Licorice Tea. A bit harder to find, but so worth it.

Holds its yellow very well, even here in FL. :-)

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    4 years ago

A bit OT, but Vap, where are you putting your Jayne Austin? Mine is still little, but I’ve read that she’ll get big. Anyone else out there grow her? :-)

4 years ago

PnP, I put in a black metal fence around the front part of my yard and plan to grow her on the part abutting my driveway. It's between her and Teasing Georgia... whoever gets to planting size first, but think the colour of JA might suit this place better. I hope to get Quicksilver to plant next to her to mingle a bit and loligag over the fence. I had planned to plant Annie Laurie McDowell next to her on the other side, but all my cuttings froze out. : ((((( My only concern is that her general flower shape will over shadow the more delicate forms of Cornelia and Felicia. I'll just have to see how it goes! : )) I have high hopes for this fence line. : ))

The only other person growing her was in BC that I could find. It did GREAT there!

Monarda, setting is everything sometimes, isn't it?

Comtesse, I will read about first, but usually these bags are so cheap, I think it might be worth a try! If it does BS, at least my friend will understand why it takes me so long to decide on varieties. He's a very impetuous buyer and lucked out with his first roses setting the bar high. Until one has seen formerly beautiful roses completely defoliate, it's hard to understand.

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    4 years ago

That sounds really pretty, Vap—I think she’ll look good with lavender. :-)

• HU-284226487
    Original Author
    4 years ago

A very sincere thank you to each of you who took the effort to respond.

Lux.

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    4 years ago

I have Golden Celebration grafted on Dr. Huey. It has strong rose scented blooms. I really love it. I like that the flowers nod, which makes it look so romantic to me. Also does very well as a cut flower.

• Rosefolly
    4 years ago

A few posts back someone recommended Golden Showers. It is pretty, but it is accurately named. The flowers don't last long, and quickly shatter into a shower of petals.

Not to mention the fact that some of your guests will snicker knowingly when you tell them the name of the rose.

I have no alternate lemon yellow roses to suggest, as I definitely prefer golden yellow to lemon yellow.