SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
numbersjunkie

peninsula with seating - raised or not?

numbersjunkie
8 years ago

I know most people here will say its best to have it all counter height - and I understand the logic- but, I'm thinking that for my application it makes sense to have the seating area raised. The peninsula will open to the living/family room with views of the lake. It will include a prep sink and that counter will likely serve as my primary prep area. We deiced it should be nice to have seating there - not really for meals but just to allow guests to sit and talk while I cook.

I'm thinking the raised height makes sense here - to give me space for outlets, to hide the soap dispenser and air switch and whatever food item I am working on. It will alos make it a lot easier as far as counters go - less worry about seams. The style is traditional, and I will be using Ikea Bodbyn cabinets in gray (although I love the two tone look in the picture below). There will be some glass front cabinets on the window wall which is where you will be facing when seated at the peninsula/bar area. Here is a picture of the look I am going for, In my layout, the range will be where the ovens are in the picture. I am also thinking of opening the wall under where the cabinets are shown to allow for a serving pass through into the dining room

Do you think the raised height is best for this application? Or will it look dated?

4e22b26705806e03_9-2888 (552×552) · More Info

Comments (2)