SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mo142

Grout lines - 1/16" vs. 1/8"

mo142
8 years ago

We are remodeling two buildings into a law office and are about to order flooring. We've chosen Happy Floors Apollo tile 12"x24" for our reception area. Our installer is charging about $1.50-$2 sf more than other installers in the area, which they attributed to (i) using a Raimondi clip system that is more labor intensive and (ii) being better than others in this area. Mainly due to timing on our project, we want to hire this installer, but I did negotiate a small discount on labor. When they called me back to give me the discount, they said that they will do 1/8" grout lines vs. 1/16" grout lines. They made it sound like it's what they recommend anyway, not just because of the discount, but I have concerns. I've read on here that many have had installations with 1/16" grout lines and are happy with them, but I've also read that from one installer's point of view that not only are 1/8" easier, they are more likely to satisfy the owner because of less lippage. I've also read that Daltile has changed its recommendations on rectified tile from 1/16" to 1/8" and I confirmed that on Daltile's blog, but I haven't found a recommendation on Happy Tile's website.

My questions are: 1. which grout line size better for this size tile generally, 1/8" vs. 1/16"? 2. Has anyone installed Happy Floors tiles and, if so, what grout line did you use and were you happy with it? 3. Does the Raimondi system increase difficulty of install significantly? Thank you!

Comments (5)