SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oklamoni

Your closet!

OklaMoni
8 years ago

I know, many of us have a burgeoning closet... full of wishful thinking.

I live in an older house, with two tiny closets. Mine are only 42 inches wide.

Thus, after moving in here, I went on a donating spree. Nothing was kept, that did not fit. No wishful thinking of "some day I might" be able to wear this again.

But, not only clothes live in here... but also purses.

This brings me to my reason to post this.

How many purses/handbags/shoulder bags do you have? and, do they live in your closet?

I have 3. My every day purse (does not live in my closet), a black one for when I go to a funeral, and a white one for dress up... which I am actually considering giving away.

I just don't "dress up" anymore. In fact, I only have one dressy (I mean, really dressy) dress. Yeah, I think, I have to downsize a bit more, and let that white purse go.

So, how many purses do you have?

Moni

Comments (36)

• Alisande
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

My closets are like yours, Moni. Two tiny ones upstairs (not in my bedroom), and none at all downstairs. My purses reside in a cedar wardrobe in my upstairs hall.

I'm not a purse person by any means, but I like to carry a fairly large one most days, but use something smaller if I go out at night. Plus there's winter and there's summer. And I've received a couple as gifts. So I think the total is 6. Or maybe 7.

• Kathsgrdn
    8 years ago

3 purses. Not into purses. I posted 2 at first but then remembered another one in my baggage.

• Related Discussions

Favorite feature in your closet?

Q

Comments (13)
    We used Costco's association w/ "Easy Closets" to design our closets on-line. They will provide LOTS of help as you design creating a CAD drawing. You input measurements, placement of doors & windows, pick features & cabinet styles you want -- actually I think they will almost do it for you, but DH kept wanting to "get-it-right" before he called for guidance . . . Anyway, they have lots of features & it seems they/Costco offer a promotional discount around January & made the purchase decision even easier. (If I remember correctly -- original Costco discount is 15% off & gave additional 10 to 15% for promotion.) They custome cut & ship via UPS with diagrams for installing or you can have a contractor/handyman install. DH did ours, but he is pretty handy. :-) The things I love: -- Fold out ironing board!!!!! :) -- Retractable posts to hang clothes on-the-way-in or when putting outfits together -- dedicated shoe shelves -- drawers -- DH has retractables for belts & ties -- Light switch on inside & outside of closet in case I forget -- inevitably -- to turn off light as I exit closet Our Master Closet is off the Master Bath. There are 2 things I'd do differently: I wanted a broad uncrowded vanity so added 6 to 12 inches to bath (which removed from closet) & we had 2 closets, 2 doors & went to 1, but I insisted on a 36-inch door (pocket door) so DH & I wouldn't crowd each other as we ran in & out of the closet -- Both were not necessary & took away from closet space -- so sad, but still wonderful. Good luck!
    ...See More

Sochi - Did you use the pivot doors on your closet? (xpost)

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi Kaysd, I posted a reply on the decorating forum!
    ...See More

DAT #9: Inspired By Your Closet

Q

Comments (19)
    Here I am. The brick wall represents my red hair, which seems to be what most people notice about me. It is now starting to fade, just like this brick. I wear a lot of boring basic neutrals that I can mix and match. I don't like to stand out, and everything in my closet seems to be either black, gray, blue, turquoise, brown, cream, or green. I like sweaters and jeans, and love shoes and especially boots. I am not a fitted/tailored/formal/tucked in type of person. I much prefer relaxed fits. The only patterns I typically wear are ethnic type prints. I do have a little bit of hippie still alive in me :-) The chandeliers and silver/gold items represent my jewelry. I have a fairly big collection of silver jewelry, especially bracelets; some gold; a few nice pieces like my tennis bracelet and anniversary bands. I have a huge weakness for ethnic and estate jewelry. I love turquoise, antique beads, silver from India, Tibet, Mexico, and Art Deco/Art Nouveau pieces. I also have a thing for handbags, mostly ones that I can't afford, but my current bag is the exact color of leather as the ottoman in my design. Love it!
    ...See More

Show me your closet designs

Q

Comments (15)
    This is how we configured our master closet. Note that the first photo is staged with minimal stuff and shows the current tile flooring we put in and painted distressed white in Dec 2015. The rest of the pics will be when we first had it installed, The long hanging you see is 42" and has a large drawer underneath the bench. More storage on the very top above the top shelf. All of the shelves are adjustable. The cabinet man made them for us. Unfortunately, he trimmed out the sides of the open areas, as he would a dish cabinet. Once you enter the door, to the left is DH side. He has shelving for his shoes to the left and a dresser with drawers to his right (obscured by the jackets) Ahead is double hanging across the depth of the closet. From the doorway to the right, is my area. There is the pull down swivel ironing board with shoe shelves under and a shoe tower, a dresser on each side with a bank of drawers and my double hanging, strait ahead. The back of this dresser is peg board to hang jewelry. My other dresser
    ...See More
  • ont_gal
    8 years ago

I must have at least 7 of them...all seasonal,or change into when the current one is getting too much in it.

Due to there being only "one" tiny closet in this place,no,I do not keep my purses in it-altho,they almost always were in the closets past.

When I moved into this place,I too,purged....thinking its' time to do it again...thanks for the reminder Moni!!

• llucy
    8 years ago

I mostly carry a small cell phone wallet in a pocket. I bought a tiny black purse to hold the wallet for when I wear something without pockets. I have 3 bags that were gifted to me I only use for taking a book or tablet some place, or when traveling.

• grainlady_ks
    8 years ago

Hubby and I shared a closet for the 23-years in our 1952 Jr. Rancher that was 4-foot and 1/2-inch, and that 1/2" was important (LOL). We installed some custom oak cabinets (6' tall x 3' wide x 12"deep) with 2 shelves of open storage on the top for books/pictures/collectable, etc, and 4' tall doors over the bottom (adjustable) shelves to store anything we could fold (sweaters, turtlenecks, T-shirts, as well as shoe and purse storage, etc....) We eliminated space-wasting dressers from our small bedroom. Hubby has an architectural degree and is an expert at space planning and using unusual spaces. We even had a well organized dinky little closet.

Now we share a 9-foot closet and 25% of it is open (as in nothing hanging there). We designed and installed our own closet system to optimize the space, and are minimalists when it comes to clothing (two basic colors - navy and black, with a limited number of accent colors - all in classic styles that last nearly forever). If you get something "new", typically, something old finds a new home. Off-season clothes are stored in the basement in covered rolling "closets".

We store off-season shoes and some other things (not used often) in four wicker "cubes" (with a lid - 16" square and 17" tall with the lid on) that are located under our bedroom windows, and in-use shoes in the closet.

I only have a few handbags (all are very small) and they are in a pretty cloth-covered storage box (with lid), as are my hats/caps/visors and stored on a shelf in the closet. We also store off-season bedding in our closet.

I haven't owned a dress or a skirt since 1993, and won't ever again! (It's not the dresses/skirts I have a problem with - it's the pantyhose ;-). I have a fall/winter funeral/wedding/dressy occasion outfit, and a spring/summer funeral/wedding/dressy occasion outfit, and I avoid attending weddings if at ALL possible (but that's another topic for another day), and since the recession, there aren't all that many dressy occasions to attend, but I AM in that prime funeral-attending age group. I'll buy a new scarf if I need to change the "look".

If you haven't read "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up" by Marie Kondo, I would suggest that book. It will help you unclutter your closet (and everything else for that matter ;-). And when all you have is a small closet, you have to get creative with storage - or better yet, eliminate the need for storage.

-Grainlady

• stacey_mb
    8 years ago

Oops, I'm going off topic again, twice in one day! Borrowing a phrase I first heard from Snidely Whiplash - I might get voted off the island LOL!

Grainlady, I loved the book that you mention about tidying and decluttering. I'm still trying to be brave enough to use Kondo's ideas.

• User
    8 years ago

Three purses: every day, travel (cross-body), and evening. I've KonMari'd my house, so my closets are pretty empty. Also, following that method, all my "off-season" clothing is also in our admittedly tiny (6x3) closet. Shoes are in a shoe cube under a window in our bedroom.

Dresses & skirts - I have the few that I love. I also don't own a pair of pantyhose. Nobody I know wears them anymore - but I do wear tights in the winter.

• nanny98
    8 years ago

Mine is, admittedly, a proper mess! Not purses, as I gave up on those when I started using a walker and just used a small wallet-like purse that "everything" fit into and hangs on the handle of walker or scooter. I Have been dreaming (while laying round with this broken ankle) of all the "stuff" behind that closet door and how I am going to really purge it when I get back on my feet. Sitting here, directing others in how to tidy up and get the sewingroom/guest bedroom ready for guestslast week was a challenge that has made me too aware of what I need to do. Gonna get that book too!

• plllog
    8 years ago

My house isn't very old and has a generous closet. The purses are kept in a cabinet, however. I have a few fine old ones that I bring out now and then, and a few "pouch on a string" kind for parties or dancing, plus a traditional evening bag. A few light cloth ones for just throwing a few odds and ends in when I don't need my full bag. And a couple I just can't part with though they're worn out. Usually, I have one purse at a time that holds all my essentials, though the last couple of years I've had a Summer and a Winter bag. My Summer one is bright white with hot pink trim, and even though we don't have the kind of climate that "no white after Labor Day" was designed for, it feels silly when carried while wearing a warm coat and hat. But, yes, they all fit on the one little shelf.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    8 years ago

I have a big closet and probably have a dozen purses. I don't keep them in there I store them in a file cabinet drawer! An old oak one. I do not have a lot of shoes though. Many of my purses are gifts from my kids. This Christmas I got a nice one that has little silhouettes of Pomeranian dogs on it.

Sue

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    8 years ago

I have several handbags, most of them unique handcrafted items from Novica. They are inexpensive, colorful treasures. I also have my mother's small collection of fabulous evening purses. They will just have to take up space because I'll never get rid of them.

Everyday purses are medium sized sturdy leather, big enough to carry bottled water and my daily essentials. They all live in a Saratoga trunk in my bedroom, along with spare blankets and throws.

No pantyhose but love to wear dresses and skirts.

• OklaMoni
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ok, here is the BIG reveal! My closet. Yes, I need that stool to get to the shelves, but for the top shelf I need my ladder. :)

and, my jeans/pants are in a chest, and my sweaters and my cycling wear, plus PJ's are in the storage that is under my bed.

• marylmi
    8 years ago

I "had" about a dozen or so of purses but this winter I went through my clothes and purses and took a couple of good sized boxes of items to goodwill. I may have 6 purses left and may have to donate some of them too. I always think " what if I go here or what if I go there" but I never do and continue to use the same purses anyway! I also have really small closets.

• marylmi
    8 years ago

Oh, and shoes and boot.....we won't go there! :)

• nanny98
    8 years ago

wow...that is a tiny closet, Moni!

• OklaMoni
    Original Author
    8 years ago

and here is my under bed storage... which is actually two TV cabinets back to back.

• maxmom96
    8 years ago

I love, love, love purses. They don't pinch, they're not too short or too long, they don't make your hips look too big, etc, so having problems getting clothes that fit makes it so much more fun to purchase a wonderful smelling leather purse. I'm tall, so I always will get a larger purse. Unfortunately, that good leather that I like gets to be pretty heavy when it's a large purse. I do persevere, though. Most of my purses are fairly expensive, so I do keep them for a while. I do have my favorite that I use everyday, wish it were a bit larger, but I am pleased that I think I'll have to beat it with a stick to finally wear it out.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago

OK purses and shoes have always been a weakness of mine. I have given away many many purses, in fact we just had a purse exchange at our garden club, just like dirty Santa. I do have a hard time parting with them. But currently I very likely have hundreds of them. From wallets, wristlets, totes, shoppers, small, medium and large, extra large etc I have a vast array. I have big plastic bins of them in every room that has a closet. I have purse hangers on the back of some doors. I have one armoire that mostly contains purses. It's a bit of an obsession, luckily one that does not harm anyone lol. And I find some at thrift stores etc so not that spend. My husband has a similar obsession with caps, he has a humongous collection of caps from everywhere and everything, and it includes some hats too. I don't spend much money on them but I do have a select few that are valuable.

Luckily we have a great deal of closet space in this house. But I definitely need to get a grip and start weeding. I do it every once in a while and let several boxes be donated or shared. My former cleaning lady loved the times we scheduled for closet clear out. She got to take anything she wanted from the discards. She wore the same size shoes so she loved shoe day lol. She moved away and I have put off closet clearing. I do let my neighbor have a look and feel free to take anything of interest. That helps because I enjoy sharing, easier to part with my stuff.

• Adella Bedella
    8 years ago

My house is three years old and I have a more than adequate walk-in closet. (I think the builder did a crappy job of layout and organizing the space.) I also have a walk-in attic and a second harder to access attic if I need it.

I have a plain black leather purse I use for everyday. It's functional. It has zipper closures. I purposely bought it not to attract attention when I'm out in public. I have a little black "dressy" purse for when I have to dress up. It will hold a credit card lipstick, ID and maybe a couple of other small items if needed. I have a nice silk, pocketbook my neighbor brought me back from China. Haven't used it yet because I haven't found an occasion.

I've learned that most of the people I know locally have maid service. I don't and it's not likely to happen any time soon. I'm becoming more and more mindful of what I bring into the house because it all becomes something to clean. I hate cleaning.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    8 years ago

I have probably a dozen. Most are fairly pricey (for me, anyway). Before I retired, I got into collecting a certain maker of purses and have 7 or 8 of those. Most are leather but there may one or two canvas, and they are supposed to last forever. My DH kept saying, every time I wanted to buy another one, "but you say they will last forever!" Yes, dear, but I don't have THIS color, or one for FALL, etc. :)

I change them out at least once every season along with coordinated wallets, checkbook covers, key rings, lanyards, etc. They are all stored on a (covered wire) shelf in my closet, specially dedicated for purses. Most are kept inside their own drawstring bags, stuffed full of tissue to maintain their shape.

My name is littlebug and I am a purse-aholic.

• marilyn_c
    8 years ago

I don't carry a purse....just a small clutch type wallet. I do have one purse. Just a plain old denim bag that I only use when I go to a large indoor horse or mule shows...so I am not having to run out to my truck to get whatever I may need. Otherwise, my truck is my purse and I keep all essentials beside wallet in there. I don't carry my phone around with me either...so it is in there when I am going to be inside at a show all day...otherwise, I leave it in the truck. I keep my purse on a hook in the closet. I don't have a lot of clothes....don't go anywhere that I have to dress up. My daughter got married about two years ago, but it was a very informal, outdoor wedding, so I wore a nice pair of jeans. The last funeral I went to, I wore jeans also. I don't plan on ever going to another wedding....the one before my daughter's was my niece's....30 years ago....I did wear a dress for that...and even though losing a lot of friends, relatives, etc.....I'll probably wear jeans again if I go to a funeral. If that bothers anyone there, they need to concentrate on something else. I quit carrying a purse when I graduated high school, and someone gave me a clutch type wallet. I don't like things hanging on my shoulders. Same reason I quit wearing a bra.

• pekemom
    8 years ago

I usually use only one purse although I have 3..I buy neutral colors, I don't like having to change out purses, this one has 7 zippers, I don't worry about the items falling out if the purse tips over...My master bedroom has a fairly small walk in closet, about 6x7, big enough for our stuff though.

• Amazing Aunt Audrey
    8 years ago

Oh geez. Have 4 black leather in diferent styles. 3 brown leather in diferent styles. 2 evening bags. 1 winter white leather clutch. 1 black patent leather clutch. 1 straw and 1 macrame. I think that's all.

• Texas_Gem
    8 years ago

I have about 15 purses plus a few wristlets. I like having nice purses, I never had one before my 30th birthday and I was always having to replace my cheap purse because it would wear out.

For my 30th, my mom told me I could either get 300 cash or any equivalent item.

I took the opportunity to get a nice expensive leather purse I would have never purchased for myself and an afternoon of shopping with mom. I keep it stuffed with tissue paper and stored in its dust bag when I'm not using it.

All the rest are good quality brands as well that I snagged on clearance or eBay. I think the most I've paid for one was maybe 40 dollars. I like to match my purse to my outfit or season, so I usually carry my pumpkin orange purse in the fall and my sky blue or green one in the spring/summer.

Here is my side of the walk in closet with my clothes sorted by color and my purses stored on the top shelf.

• sylviatexas1
    8 years ago

I covet those orderly closets!

but I'm working on mine-

About 2 weeks ago, I gave away a huge trash bag full of clothes,

& how much do I miss them?

Today, I couldn't tell you what was in that bag!

I do have a few purses;

1 black one with compartments

1 black one that's something like a book bag

1 gold hobo purse that I haven't even used yet

1 gold woven or braided leather one that I used several years ago, & when it began to unravel, I put it away to "save" it

1 huge pewter-colored one in case I ever find myself wearing something that won't go with black or gold!

• nicole___
    8 years ago

I LOVE little messenger bags/crossbody bags! I have 2 of those, both are nice leather, one is bigger than the other. Then I have 2 medium sized purses(big enough to carry tile or granite samples in).

Closets for all our clothes...we have a medium sized walk in closet in the master suite, then huge cedar lined winter closets down stairs. He has a gentlemans chest, I have a lingerie chest in addition to all the rest...my purses live in the media center in the entryway.

I carry a zippered wallet, like this one:

• Cherryfizz
    8 years ago

I only have 3 tiny closets and Moni my bedroom closet looks just like yours. I love purses/handbags and that only came about because family members must love buying purses because I keep getting them as gifts. My cousin from out of town sends me a beautiful large purse every birthday, my other cousin decides she doesn't like the some of the new purses she buys and passes them on to me and they are just perfect. Many times when my sister goes off to St. Louis she brings me back a new purse. I can't believe how many people compliment me on the purse I am carrying. I have some totes too and shopping bags. I still love and use the tote bag with cats on it that Flamey made and sent to me. All the hooks in my closet have multiple bags hanging from them, some are on a table in my bedroom, or on the door handle on the back of my bedroom door. I have a coat rack that I use to hang some clothes that are on hangers in my bedroom and have some of the purses hanging on that. 2 are on my bedroom floor in front of my dresser. I interchange them during the seasons but don't match them to the clothes I wear. I am getting ready to clear out all 3 closets. I live in the house I grew up in, 2 bedrooms, an unfinished upstairs and a basement which floods frequently so I don't store anything down there. I don't have room for the stuff I have, so I don't know how we had 9 people living in this house with no clutter anywhere. haha we must not have had many clothes either because I remember there was only 1 dresser and that was in my parents bedroom. We had a sock drawer where all the socks went into. My older sisters hogged the bedroom closet. Living room closet was for coats and still is even though I have a pile of cooking magazines on the floor of it and coffee table books on the top shelf. If I had the where with all and the means I would have the wall that separates the 2 closets in the bedrooms opened up and made into one big closet with shelving.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    8 years ago

One of our closets, the small walk-in in the downstairs bedroom under the stairs is our designated 'safe room' in the event of a tornado. There are very few basements here and even fewer below-or in-ground shelters so stairwells get the job.

Naturally, that means that the closet has to stay open enough for two people and one cat to scramble inside and hunker down. I would dearly love to stack suitcases in that area, lol.

• OklaMoni
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Rhizo my closet, the one pictured is my safe room. I have a helmet and some gym shoes in there at all times. When an alert gets issued, the small chest on the left side goes out, my bedspread, me and my phone go in.

• User
    8 years ago

I own 4 purses. I use my fossil cross over purse 99.9% of the time. I have a Naturalizer purse that I love, but it doesn't have a long enough strap to be a crossover purse. Just short handles so I always have to hold it. Drives me crazy. So I don't use it very often. And another one by the same brand that looked pretty when I ordered it online, but it's like a mini-suitcase. I've tried to resell it, but so far no takers. There has been interest, but no takers. And I have one purse that hangs in my bedroom closet that is the only gift my cousin ever gave me. A nice smaller purse that I used for years until it practically fell apart. The hoarder in me can not get rid of it because of the sentimental value I have on it. She passed away a little over a year ago, and I just want to hang onto the purse a little while longer. I don't see the point of having a dozen purses to use. One for every outfit, or pair of shoes. Lucky for me, my usual pair of shoes are my black running shoes and my purse is black so I'm ok. lol

My house was built in 1959. My master bedroom closet is about 6' wide. I don't have much room for anything in there. I don't own a lot of clothes. I don't see the point in that either. You can only wear one outfit at a time. And I wear a uniform 40 hours a week, so why own 100 tops?

• User
    8 years ago

I probably have about 12 but only use 1 right now. I just hate to toss them in case I need one. You know how it is. Yes they are in my closet but mine is a big one. I just bought a tote to put them in. Its about a med size.

• jemdandy
    8 years ago

I don't have any purses or handbags. I have one worn bill fold and a spare new one. (I'm a guy.) I have 3 pair of shoes, 4 belts, 3 suits, and about 2 weeks of everyday clothing.

We have adequate closet space. Our main problem is we are pack rats. Right now, I have 3 piles of papers I've collected over the past 10 years of family history searches. That's not so bad except these are sitting on the bed in the master bedroom. There is a 186 yr old shelf clock in the living room that I am refurbishing. I got to get back on that job and finish the planned work. The mechanism is done but the case needs work.

• lily316
    8 years ago

I have tons of purses which is weird because I rarely carry one. I just never throw them out. I live in a 180 year old house with very minimal closets. I have a very large cherry armoire from around 1840 which has many compartments and drawers in it. My most recent purchase was a small leather purse just big enough for my phone and some money. I am so glad to hear no one wears pantyhose. Of all articles of clothing, I always HATED them the most. I mostly wear pants now but I will wear a dress in the summer when my legs have more color.

• msgenie51642
    8 years ago

This is a great subject for me! I started collecting Vera Bradley purses and I must have over 100! They come in so many patterns and colors that you always need another ;) ! I have decided, however, to sell some on eBay. I won't get my money back, but it won't be a terrible loss either, as many were purchased at an outlet store. I am very lucky to have an outlet store nearby. I also have some leather fringed purses. I love fringed purses and those you don't find at Vera Bradley.

Shoes are another story--I love "Easy Spirit" (really the only ones I can wear without my feet hurting) and I have TOO MANY of them! The biggest problem is that my house is almost 100 years old and lacking on closet space. So my purses and shoes get squeezed in wherever they will fit.

• lgmd_gaz
    8 years ago

Moni, thank you, thank you for starting this thread. This morning I decided to respond to this thread and checked my closet for purses. Just three purses on a top shelf. One each very small shoulder bags there, a black satin for dress up and a cream colored for summer. I knew those two were there, but the third one I had forgotten about, and it is just what I have been looking for in my recent shopping trips!

The purse I have been carrying 99% of the time in the last 5 or so years is looking pretty bad but I have been unable to find a replacement for this smaller organizer type bag. Weight is an issue so I must keep things small and as lightweight as possible. That forgotten purse is a tiny bit bigger than my current one in use, but acceptable. It was put away at the change of seasons some years ago and forgotten. Dh has cleaned and dusted the contents of the closet and that shelf a few times for me, but I never asked what was up there.

A closet with the common bifold doors is in each bedroom of this 3 bedroom house. Not large by any means. One closet holds my clothing (it's in the bedroom that we use as an office) and my shoes, just two styles, 6 pairs Easy Spirit API and Kmarts cheapest canvas slip on's and lace ups for summer. 7 or 8 pairs of those. Another holds DH's clothing and miscellaneous stuff as it is the largest, and the third holds all our outer wear.

I do have in the farthest reaches of my closet 2 Lands End dresses that I love, but I have not worn a dress for about 18 years. Don't know why I can't give them up....burial use maybe?? I also have a black sleeveless one piece jump suit from 25 years ago that I looked 'smashing' in. I put it on a couple times a year just to make myself feel good for a few minutes, lol. Then I hang it back up wishing it would come back in style and I had somewhere to go to show myself off in it again!