SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nateinkorea

Succulent woes - Very very slowly shrivelling & no new growth

nateinkorea
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I've had a succulent (not sure what it is) for around 4 months. It had a full circle of green fleshy leaves, but around 2-3 per month very slowly wrinkle then dry up completely. The others stay plump and look healthy, but one by one they succumb to the shrivel. This would seem normal, but there's no new growth to replace the leaves that die off. We're down to around 8 leaves now. The centre of the plant looks very healthy and I can see underneath where it looks like new leaves will eventually emerge - a few are even growing, but at a painfully slow rate and so far none have actually matured into full new leaves.

When the first few went squishy and dried up I suspected overwatering, so cut back to a good soaking once a month. The issue persisted. I've also tried full sun vs. well lit (IE not direct sun) - same result.

The soil drains well, with the top looking quite dry a few days after watering (of course it will stay moist below the surface much longer). The mix is something like this: Potting soil (40%), small pebbles & gravely soil (30%), perlite (20%), and some bark & coco coir (10%).

I've got around 20 other succulents that I've acquired over the last couple of years and the vast majority are doing very well. I've even successfully rooted leaves and cuttings from many of them (I'd describe myself as a successful novice). A few other succulents in the collection have suffered from overwatering in the past, but I've been able to change watering habits before long term damage sets in. This one just won't die and won't react to anything I've tried.

Your help would be incredibly well received!!! And if anyone can tell me what the succulent is, that would probably help as well. Thanks in advance :)

Pictures:

1 - The whole plant. When I got it the plant basically filled the pot - there's not much left now. The two shortest leaves are on their way out now, while the others still look very healthy.

2. Two of the younger leaves (short ones) are on their way out.

3. The centre of the plant looks very healthy and it looks like there are new leaves waiting to come out... but they don't (they've increased in size a fraction in the last 3-4 months).

Comments (4)