SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cvw_ky

Best shower valve for cold water temp fluctuations?

cvw_ky
8 years ago

Hi All,

Wasn't sure if this needed to go in the "Bath" forum or if it best here.

We are building a new house and planning to put in a drain water heat recovery system. If you are interested in what this is, you can find info here, but the bottom line is that it takes your incoming cold water temperature (40F-50F) and turns it into much warmer water (70F-75F).

The change in water temperature is not instantaneous, it takes a few minutes for everything to warm up, and the warmup will gradual. With a normal shower valve, this would require constant adjustment. As the cold water coming into the valve gets warmer and warmer, the mix of hot and cold will have to change to maintain a constant temp. It will take less and less hot water as the cold water gets warmer and warmer.

I am looking at the Delta brand. It looks like the 17 and 17T series have technology to maintain the temperature. However, am I correct in believing that the 17 series only maintains temperature by keeping the pressure of both the hot and cold piping the same. If the cold water pressure drops, the valve will drop the pressure on the hot side so the mixture stays the same. However, if the pressure stays the same, but the temperature of the cold water changes, the 17 series valve will do nothing to change the temperature. Do I understand that correctly?

Sounds like a need a 17T series, which is a thermostatic valve?

Comments (5)