SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

cayenne peppers hotter than my Habanero

Lars
8 years ago

I have been using cayenne peppers from my back yard in cooking lately because I have a lot of them, and they have already dried on the plants. I guess I should harvest them all and store them somehow, but I thought perhaps they had not finished drying. Anyway, I normally cook with Habanero chilies, but I have very few of those left on my plants, although I have a good supply of sauce that I made with them last November.

The cayenne chilies that I have been using have created more heat in my dishes than the Habanero chilies, and by volume, they are quite a bit smaller. The plant is a volunteer that grew in a pot that used to have a Habanero chili in it, and at first that's what I thought the volunteer plant was, but the chilies look like cayenne, which I also grow in an adjacent pot.

Here's how they look today

And here's how the plant looked last September, when I thought it was a Habanero

Any idea what I really have here? Why are the chilies on the volunteer plant so hot? I can still use them, but I have to adjust how many of them I use. If I store them, I will have to label them, but I think they will probably diminish in heat after being stored.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County