SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beesneeds

How do I get up into an apple tree to prune it?

beesneeds
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

This might sound like a silly question. But it's getting to be time where I need to get out and make some pruning to some old apple trees in my yard. There are three of them, topping out around maybe 15 feet? They also have a lot of low and wide spreading, making it a pita to try getting any tall ladders or back of the truck up in there.
These trees haven't seen any trimming in at least 7-8 years. They are always loaded with fruit, but the fruit isn't all that great, and I've been told that a good pruning will help things along.

Is there some trick to this? Should I be trying to prune out more understory and hope I can get a taller ladder up into the tree? Or should I try some other tactic?

Honestly, part of the reason why I've put off this chore for so long is that I am a bit intimidated by getting up in there. I understand where to make the cuts I need to, and how to make the cuts, that sort of thing. But no one seems to share what equipment they use to get up in there. I have a six foot ladder, and a couple of those huge folding up ladders.

Edit to add: would this be easier to find out what I need to do if I take pics? And if so, what sorts of perspectives to I need to take?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus