SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cedrbp

septic tank/drain field too close to water sources

cedrbp
8 years ago

we are in central florida. house built in 1964. 2/2 1200 sq ft on 3.5 acres. under-size drain field and 500 gal septic tank. creek runs through property - also a pond on property. we purchased house as a rental in 1996. system starting to fail.

the house is surrounded by a creek on 3 sides within 30-50 feet from house. the 4th side is within 50 feet or so of a pond. its basically on a peninsula. the driveway goes down the only slip of continuous land to the main road. there is one little strip of land on the other side that runs between the pond and creek that goes to the road - but extremely narrow. oh yeah, its only about 25 feet from the water well - we do have a chlorination system on it.
i have no idea how the original owners got away with it other than its not likely there were codes 50+ years ago.

i've already been told by one septic company that he isn't even allowed to pump our 500 gallon tank without plans to replace it because code is 600 and we must upgrade it first. he doesn't know the whole story as this was a conversation over the phone - all he knows is age of house and tank size.

i can only imagine the reaction from the florida EPA, the county and the water district. are we dead in the water? are there such things as above ground septic tanks that can be pumped on a regular basis (i know it would be expensive and not likely worth it) ?

Comment (1)