SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_26184948

Growth rates for rooted cuttings?

User
8 years ago

Can anyone help provide some perspective on growth rates? I am working on south facing banking under the shade of mature oaks in zone 6b in New England. I don't have a lot of experience with shrubs. The site is accessible for supplemental watering, but the long term goal is a naturalistic planting that is fairly self sustaining.

Due to the scale of the planting and the steepness of the slope, I plan to use very small plants. If I start with rooted cuttings (they vary somewhat but most are about 1 year old, 6-12 inches) of shrubs including lindera benzoin, clethra alnifolia, azalea periclymenoides, ilex verticillata, potentilla, calycanthus floridus, and/or physocarpus what can I anticipate in terms of growth rates? I have looked them up but I get everything from slow to moderate to fast growing for every variety.

I know the "sleep, creep, leap" standard for perennials, is there a similar pattern for shrubs? I have some tiny rhodedendrons that seem to have grown not at all for two years, but lilacs seem to grow maybe a foot a year.

When might they look like little shrubs rather than random sticks? Year three? Year five?

Comments (6)