SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andy_grabski

Oil Furnace - Smells like exhaust once heat shuts off & fan runs

Andy G
8 years ago

We just recently had a tune-up done on our oil furnace (which is relatively new). After they left, the smell was unbearable. I checked, and there was spilled oil in a few spots in and around the unit. They sent another Tech out, and he cleaned it up, stating everything was ok. He said it might smell for a few days, but it got worst the next day. Another Tech came out, and noticed the flare from the pump to what I believe is the intake that meets the nozzle. Line was replaced, and he throw some of the absorption powder down. It got better, but now it no longer smell when the furnace is firing, but rather once it kicks off and the fan is blowing. I did open what I could, used dawn dish soap to clean up everything I could. There doesn't seem to be any near the exchanger, or anywhere else. Although there is some trace amounts in the service hatch where the pump unit is.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Before another 20 people come and try something that doesn't work, I would like to at least have a better idea about what is happening.

Thank you in advance for all of the help!

Comments (3)