SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anomalychic94

Unconventional Citrus Question

anomalychic94
8 years ago

From reading this forum, posters have made it abundantly clear that grafted trees are the way to go. I personally find it a little bit frankensteinish to amputate the roots off one plant and then graft it t an alien root system that probably wants nothing more than to kill it, given the rates of rootstock takeover. I grow trees because I find them peaceful, and these grafted laboratory creations which are constantly at war with themselves strike me as anything but. I also read that etrog fruit used in the Jewish religion are considered unkosher and cannot be used if the tree has been grafted, and I imagine its for the same reason I have reservations about it.

Now philosophy aside, I have 10 grafted trees and 2 seed grown trees planted by someone who owned my house probably 25 years ago. My grafted trees are healthy and look and produce like normal citrus trees, I have no complaints. My seed grown trees however, are fascinating. Theyre 30 feet tall and 20 feet wide. They have single trunks with the first branching occurring 5 feet off the ground, instead of 1. They produce amazing fruit that doesnt quite match up with any known cultivar. My oranges are almost pure sugar, I have tasted nothing as sweet. My grapefruits are pink on the inside but perfectly yelllow on the outside with no red blush at all. They vary in size ripe from ping pong ball to normal size. They taste like no other grapefruit ive tried, more sour but less bitter. I can certainly see the value in growing seed grown trees, I believe both of my trees did not grow quite true to seed and I have something truly unique.

I want more giant trees that are not fighting their rootstock for survival. I know seed grown takes forever to bear fruit. If I take a cutting from a grafted tree, will it grow as large as my seed grown? And will the fruit be slightly different from the grafted tree? I am trying to figure out, if I want more monster trees like the two I have, will rooted cuttings give me the same result as seed grown that are true to seed only faster, or will they give me something entirely different 10 years down the road?

Comments (16)