SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20103024

Sliding Glass Door on 2nd Fl. - Water Coming in at Threshold

User
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I have water coming in when there is a driving rain (though not during a gentle rain) at my ground floor entry door along the top of the entry door frame. It took some sleuthing to figure out that the culprit is actually one floor above - a sliding glass door in my living room on the 2nd floor. It is a Pella sliding glass wood-clad door with a Juliet balcony. The sliding glass door is used rarely.

I had initially thought the problem might be tuck-pointing on the second floor, and had my tuck-pointing guy come over (he had done excellent work on my home a few years ago). He showed me how it was the sliding glass door threshold that was the issue, and that this was a job for a Windows contractor, not him.

Despite how bad the threshold looks, the door itself is in good condition. One side is fixed. The sliding side closes tightly, and slides easily. The water is coming in through the threshold of the sliding glass door, and unseen, then pouring down until it enters one floor below at the front entry door directly underneath it. The tuck-pointing guy also showed me that a little water is also entering the 2nd floor in the bottom corner of the window, which I had not noticed (see pic).

My question is - must I replace the entire sliding glass door? This of course would be expensive, and not easy, given the Juliet balcony railing that will need to be removed and then re-installed. My tuck-pointing guy felt that perhaps the threshold alone might be able to be replaced, and he advised also re-flashing was needed (or, he said perhaps flashing was poorly done originally, hard to tell). But he wasn't sure whether in the end, I'd need to replace the entire unit.

Please let me know what you experts think would be the best approach. Much appreciated!

P.S. (Please no comments on the quality of Pella - it came with the house).

Comments (12)