SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
akozzy123

Thoughts on cabinet colors and countertops

A K
8 years ago

Good Morning!!

My kitchen is sad in comparison to so many others, but it works for now! (When the kids are less destructive, we will invest in a total renovation)

Meanwhile I have been slowly completing a minor facelift to my kitchen (diy style) for about two years. I made the mistake of doing the General Finishes Gell stain for my lower cabinets. Dont get me wrong, its an amazing product. But I have a 6 person family and the kitchen gets a LOT of wear and tear... so its not holding up as nicely as I would like it.

Thus, I am going to refinish the lowers, which brings me to the forum- I am looking for guidance as to what I should go with, and any pointers!

Originally I had the dreaded golden oak kitchen- which had faded to almost pecan color. It was oppressive! I cant seem to find any before pictures atm, but I have pics of what it currently looks like.

From Dining Room

From Other Side

Additional Angle

Close up of how the cabinets are starting to fade

My house is painted mostly neutrals- Revere Pewter in all the common areas (with some highlight walls- Phillipsburg Blue in the dining room for example) And the kitchen is Breath of fresh air (BMoore) on the walls and the uppers are White Dove. I am thinking of painting the lowers either a Grey shade (like Whale Grey) or putting in a pop of color- ie Avalon (also BMoore)

I also want to invest in a new countertop. I am tossing around Blue Dream (a blackish granite with flecks of deep blue- not Blue Pearl).

I am afraid that my whole house is to.. "blah" in color- with so much grey and blue.

I am open to all suggestions! Thanks!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm