SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
holly_kurtz

Storm pics

Holly- Kay
8 years ago

So the great snow of 2016 has started so I will post two pics. The first one was taken about half an hour after the snow started here. You can see a few areas of snow that are from last week with a sparse coating of new snow fall.

The next photo was taken a few minutes ago, approx three hour lapse.

They are now calling for possibly 18 to 24 inches.

Comments (85)

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone for sharing your snow pics! I have a few to add. Both are taken from upper level porch.

This shows next one shows where our driveway is.

• User
    8 years ago

Stay safe, everyone. As a seasoned snow shoveler, I understand the logic in shoveling every few hours to stay on top of it... just be sure to rest in between and drink lots of water. It's easy to dehydrate even in that kind of weather.

Speaking of hydrating, Holly-Kay I hope your chickens are getting their water!

• Related Discussions

A Few this morning that survived the storm (Pic's)

Q

Comments (16)
    Not protected at all Nancy...that big bed does not even get watered (Except by Rain) and it is in full sun...it is about 100 foot long bed by about 12 feet wide..I keep the "Less Expensive" ones in that bed...LOL Heck the soil is like concrete too...LOL oh well....they enjoyed that brief but extremely hard downpour.....Thank you all again for the very kind comments......:) Here are a few more...of course still just a Kodak Moment....ROTFL...I can't seem to figure out how to transfer the Pic Files from the Nikon Program to photo bucket...oh well....maybe tonight I'll get "Lucky"..;) Kodak says: A Nice one that Jan was very nice to share with me....gotta appreciate the kindness....Thanks Jan..it's Purdy! FFO An oldie from days forgotten...... A gorgeous old Munson...I wish I could capture the true colour of this one...you have to see it to believe it... Another Beauty that Jan was nice enough to share with me...I think I like Sharing and Trades/Swaps better then getting daylilies any other way....Thanks Again, Jan.... Rick
    ...See More

Waxwings in the storm ...pic heavy

Q

Comments (7)
    Like Rachel, I have never had the joy of seeing this one. Gosh, this is a gorgeous group of pictures. Just fantastic. Thanks so much for sharing. I need one of those Crab apple trees for sure!
    ...See More

Storm Cloud pic, (not mine)

Q

Comments (7)
    There have been some severe tornados in the south and that looks almost like those I saw on tv except those were black.Thanks for sharing.
    ...See More

Quite a storm (pics)

Q

Comments (7)
    Barb, you might want to remove that leaf off your siding if you haven't already. Our town was hit by a tornado last year, we were about three miles from where it struck but got hail damage all the same. Totalled my roof, siding and broke 7 windows. Also totalled two vehicles. About a week later the insurance adjuster showed me how the green leaves bled a stain onto the car. I assume they did on the house, too, but the siding was removed and replaced. I wouldn't have expected that!
    ...See More
  • OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

http://twitter.com/The_Old_Guard/status/690613287822712832/photo/1

This never fails to stir my heart, and I hope the link opens for everyone. Saw the photos on USA Today if anyone wants to see more. Thanks for sharing your snow photos. I hope everyone stays warm and powered up! We had a mere 2 inches and it left a layer of ice on the roads late yesterday and into the evening. Just sitting around today reading, made some bread, and made sure the bird feeders were full.

• prairiemom61
    8 years ago

Near Warrenton, VA at my brother's. Those are bar height chairs. And it's still snowing hard.

• DLM2000-GW
    8 years ago

No storm pics but here's the aftermath.

• User
    8 years ago

Joanie5, that is an interesting "snowblower" your DH is using. Very old-fashioned! we old folks call them shovels!

Lol.

• User
    8 years ago

Just getting going here. Roads are becoming covered and slick.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    8 years ago

I am hoping that this will spur DH to clean out his side of the garage this spring!

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh my gosh. The tenant at my townhouse water just broke. Her DH called an ambulance and they have to take their toddler son along. She was in my thoughts all last evening and today. Just praying for a safe and timely trip to the hospital as we heard that even ambulances were having a difficult time.

• Errant_gw
    8 years ago

LOL Tibb! When we had our big snow the other week, SO made a big deal about moving the snow blower and generator to the front of the garage for me. He was heading to Toronto for his father's funeral, while I and the doggies were home alone to wait out the storm.

2+ feet of snow and 18 hours without power, and little old me with these fancy machines... He didn't get gas for them :o

i shoveled for two days straight to clear the driveway, then another day to make a path for the dogs (one is old enough that his four wheel drive appears to be broken).

i did this with one of those "old-fashioned snow blowers"

• Faron79
    8 years ago

Damn....

You guys out East are lucky!!! I'd LOVE to have that snow here!!!

Not much snow here = "not much business"! When we get snow, we sell all kinds of snowblowers, etc. This winter, it's been kinda sparse. With Prairiemoms kinda snow, I'd be out blasting thru it on a snowmobile! If I'd won the lottery, I'd buy a BEAST of a sled & head out East!

Faron

• nhbaskets
    8 years ago

Not expecting any snow from this storm in NH. After last year, we certainly deserve a break. Found this picture from last year of one of the cul-de-sacs in our 55+ development. Someone thought it fun to design a ski slope.

• User
    8 years ago

NH, I remember that pic from when you put it up last winter. So hilarious.

Lol Errant. I thought it was so funny that Joanie5 said her DH had been snowplowing for an hour...only to scroll down and see a pic of the poor guy with a shovel!

Good job you did with your "old-fashioned snowblower" too!

Mine is waiting and ready to go.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

This is the latest from the back deck. It is still snowing but thankfully it has slowed down.

• tinam61
    8 years ago

Here in my area of TN, we had very little. I would say we have a couple of inches, maybe a tad more. It's a powdery snow, so not clinging so much to trees (and thankfully power lines). We had some peeks of snow this morning and due to the temps before this hit and that, the sidewalks and driveway have melted pretty good. Hubby shoveled the bottom of the driveway this morning (sun doesn't get to it much). Someone with a tractor came through here earlier, with a scraper. Temps today and tomorrow should get rid of it quickly, main roads are fine, I think. I don't need to go out, so I've been cleaning/organizing cabinets. We are to be in the 60's by this time next week.

• aputernut
    8 years ago

I am in SW FL. watching the weather channel on TV and since PA. is my "old country" LOL interesting to see they got 30+" of snow and 500 people stranded on the PA. turnpike, the Gov. was on and said stay off the hwy's or I will close them all, they are getting food, fuel etc. to those stranded, among them a college basketball team on a bus. P. S. very cool and super windy but sunny here, n/p staying in.

• jooanie5
    8 years ago

Tibb...haha! Our snowblower couldn't do all 15-18" off the bat so DH said he would break up a small section then use the blower. That pic is him shoveling at the end just trying to get odd clumps the blower missed. Still snowing here but no "blizzard" that I could tell....no strong howling winds with blinding now like they predicted.

• suero
    8 years ago

My deck this morning. Much more snow since then.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

DH just measured 29 inches of snow just now.

• User
    8 years ago

Ever notice that every big snowstorm feels like the first one you ever experienced? It's a phenom!

Lol, Joanie. Just so funny to read in the present that he's out snowplowing then scroll down and see the guy using a shovel. Made me chuckle.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

You're right Tib! Actually we couldn't ask for a better kind. The snow is light and we've kept the electric and internet so far. Knock on wood that it stays that way. And the best news today is my tenant made it to the hospital and delivered a beautiful little girl!

• User
    8 years ago

How exciting, HK! I hope they don't name her Stormy, or Jonas, or anything like that!

It's fairly heavy snow up here. Temp is right at freezing, so...

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Last picture from top deck.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

They named her Helen Rose and she is precious!

• blubird
    8 years ago

Here's my deck just before it got dark....and it's still snowing here in the middle of NJ.

• chispa
    8 years ago

Please stop all these snow photos ... they are making me shiver here in So CA ... as I sit here in 50 degrees freezing because we are having 4 french doors replaced/painted, and the back of the house has been open all day long ... can't turn the heat on!! ;-)

• User
    8 years ago

Have you seen the panda playing in the snow? I think it's at the national zoo. Don't know where that is.

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/winter-storm-jonas-watch-this-video-of-tian-tian-the-panda-playing-in-the-snow-w162389

• jooanie5
    8 years ago

Chispa...lol. It's all relative. Right now 50 would feel balmy to us on the east coast!

I grew up in SoCal and laugh that I used to wear parkas.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    8 years ago

The National Zoo is here in DC. It is part of the Smithsonian.

• Oakley
    8 years ago

I'm sitting here with my jaw hitting the floor at all these picture! And here I thought the one foot of snow we got a couple of times was a lot!

• beaglesdoitbetter
    8 years ago

It is 48 in FL. The fireplace is on and we all have blankets. My dog was shivering even w/ the blanket so I had to put a sweater on him.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Imhappy, it was so much fun watching the panda in the snow. My Yorkie KoKo was rubbing herself in the snow but not with the same relish that the panda showed.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Beagles, you all had quite a bit of snow too. It's still snowing here but it's supposed to end around ten.

• smalloldhouse_gw
    8 years ago

We're just outside DC and this storm has been pretty intense. I spent the first 30 years of my life in Boston so I shouldn't even blink, but DC tends to fall apart. In 2010-11, we lost power and had major tree damage - my youngest was 1yo at the time and it felt like the end of the world. So we prepare like crazy any time there is a big storm. So far we've been lucky, other than the fact that the kid who was a baby back then is now a first grader with a bad case of strep. We are lucky to live close to a lovely family-run supermarket that is staying open thru the storm, so I trekked down there today for more soup ingredients and extra Ibuprofen. Our street is usually clogged with commuter traffic - today it was almost beautiful.

• dedtired
    8 years ago

Here's the view from my kitchen window this afternoon. There are several more inches now and it is still coming down outside Philadelphia. Excuse the neighbors rickety fence which they refuse to replace even though I said I would pay half (had to get that in).

• User
    8 years ago

Dedtired, I can't get past the row of ladies in their strappy dresses and bare knees!

• dedtired
    8 years ago

Not exactly dressed for the weather, are they?

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    8 years ago

Despite all the dangers that attend these big snows, I can't help but remember all the good parts: school closed, sledding, coziness, and the feeling of the world standing still amidst great beauty. I was always a bit sorry to see it go and all return to normal. My memory does not fail me n this, though I've been in So. Ca. for 30'yesrs. I came here tonight looking for your pics, knowing you'd not let me down. ⛄️ TY!! And keep 'em coming!

• maire_cate
    8 years ago

It took 5 hours yesterday afternoon to remove the snow from our driveway and sidewalks - and that was using a snow blower. We're just outside Philly and we have about 20 " + of snow but it was so windy that we had huge drifts against the doors and windows. When I got up this morning I checked our sidewalk and driveway and we easily have 3" of snow covering the surfaces.

The snow was dense and higher than the front of the snow blower so it was very slow going. You had to muscle the machine through the snowbank to make any progress - my entire body aches. The snow that fell yesterday was equal to an entire winter's snowfall - and logged in as the 4th heaviest snowfall in one day.

We have brunch reservations today to celebrate a birthday in Philly and I'm waiting to hear from the others to see if they'll be able to make it. Personally - I'd be happy to stay home and rest - although we'll have to run the snow blower again this afternoon.

I felt so bad for the 500 cars stuck on the PA Turnpike overnight - tractor trailers got stuck on the highway between Somerset and Bedford and no one could get through. The National Guard checked the motorists to make sure they were safe and warm. Duquesne's basketball team and Temple's gymnastic team were stranded in their buses.

dedtired - our neighbors had a fence like that in half of their yard and a rusty metal fence running the rest of the way. It was so ugly that we installed a very nice cedar fence just inside our property line so that we didn't have to look at it. Definitely an improvement.

smalloldhouse - lovely photo of your street!

• User
    8 years ago

My wonderful neighbor and her wonderful mother snuck over last night, in the dark, and made this snowman for me on my picnic table. Unfortunately, I caught them when I walked by the door. I think they wanted it to be a surprise for me this morning.

• User
    8 years ago

I love the natural snow "art". kkay_md's chairs look like gigantic hands; beaglesdoitbetter's outdoor grill looks like a gigantic ghost that is sitting down, taking a break from its ghostly duties, or an angel that doesn't quite fit in with the rest of the angels.

• hhireno
    8 years ago

We (60 miles NW of Philadelphia) have 31.7 inches but at least it's a fluffy, light snow. Just too much of it. It took almost 3.5 hours to clear the driveway and sidewalk, and that was 2 of us working with a snow blower & a shovel. My husband is 6'4" and the end of the driveway, that gets plowed shut when they clear the streets, was as high as his waist. No pictures because I have no desire to remember this beyond whenever it finally melts.

• beaglesdoitbetter
    8 years ago

This picture is from my mother-in-law this morning:

Can I just say, I am really glad we have our FL house :)

• rococogurl
    8 years ago

We are north of NYC. They got socked. We didn't get a flake. In fact, mother nature thinks it's spring around here. I found this in the front flower bed yesterday morning while waiting for snow.

• jooanie5
    8 years ago

Here's the narrow path DH dug from the driveway to the front door. It's 25" on the sides.

• User
    8 years ago

Wow. that's what my place looked like last year.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I have no idea how long it will be until I get out. Our driveway is about a tenth of a mile so around 500 feet plus. It also isn't straight but winds in through the pines. It is blacktopped though so a truck with a plow blade could make short work of it.

We are supposed to have a new floor put down in our guest bath on Thursday so I may have to cancel that.

• dedtired
    8 years ago

Finally went out in the car today and parking is a real treat with all the snow piles everywhere. Our township instituted free parking at meters because it is simply impossible to get to them! It was a warm sunny day so everyone was out and about, trying to cure their cabin fever.

• suero
    8 years ago

Got a phone call from my brother today. The tornado in Coconut Creek Florida just missed his house. I told him that I would trade my snow for his tornado. We finally dug a path to our mailbox today. The snow plows built a solid four foot high wall of snow across our mailbox and driveway.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz