SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bunnyemerald

Need to replace hall lights

Bunny
8 years ago

I need to replace my hall lights, builder's grade circa 1991. I've needed to replace them for a LONG time. I'm having an electrician out in a couple of weeks to replace my smoke detectors and it seems like a good time to get the lights done as well.

The ones I have are original, in gleaming brass. They were ghastly when new and they haven't improved with age. I guess I'm able to ignore them because they're overhead, it's a place where I'm just passing through, and I rarely turn them on anyway. This is what I have, times 3. Apparently people are still buying them.

As for my style: not overly traditional or contemporary, not blingy. Not the above light!!! :) I prefer simple. I also like vintage-y, probably not cottage or country.

I have 9 ft. ceilings and hope that might afford me semi-flush mount, which I think looks a little more graceful than flush. However, I'm not opposed to flush. I have mostly flat black or ORB light fixture finishes so that obviously appeals to me.

Any suggestions? I like schoolhouse type lights if they wouldn't look out of place in my house. I realize they have been trendy and popular but I can't say that matters much to me. I mean, I've lived with the above and a little trendy would be a vast improvement.

Here's my hall with the darn lights blessedly off. The hall turns 90 degrees at the end to the right and leads to the garage door. That leg is a bit shorter and currently only has one light, which is fine. The bright thing in front of the bathroom door is a Solatube and the weird thing in front of that is my smoke detector hanging where I left it. I typically don't turn on the hall lights much at all, except at night when I need to find something in the closet (left) or the laundry (right). I'd prefer 100-watts per fixture, but I think I could manage with 80 (2 @ 40-watts).

Comments (94)