SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
srw_

Old seed-grown tree, any use for it?

When I was a kid, I planted the seed of an avocado from the supermarket in my backyard.

That was about 15-18 years ago. The tree is now about 5 m tall, and the trunk is about 40 cm in diameter.

I didn't know the first thing about gardening back then. I've only recently gotten into it. The soil is very sandy. The tree grew up squashed between two much older and bigger trees; there's a Schefflera actinophylla on one side, and some large yucca (?) tree on the other, about 45 cm between the trunks on either side. So the avocado is probably not as advanced as it should be for that age. There isn't a large canopy: just whatever can break through the canopy of the other trees.

There have never been any flowers or fruit on it, as far as I know. I've never fertilised it until this year, when I threw a bit of slow-release stuff and compost around the trunk.Can I do anything with this to make it bear fruit? Searching through the archives, people say that the fruit of seed-grown trees is usually not so good. Can I cut it down and graft onto the trunk or something?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County