SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandra10b

How do you mail your seeds?

Sandra
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi everyone,

I wanted to start a thread to see how people mail their seed trades. I've recently completed a few trades and noticed that there's a lot of different methods (and costs) for sending them. I'm going to post how I've sent/received seeds and I'd love to hear how you guys send yours (for small, medium, and large trades). I'm asking this, since I've read that there have been a lot of cases of letters/large envelopes being "upgraded" to a parcel designation, either when you take it to the post office or when the person receives it no matter what the size.

Letters (49 cents) : I've only received one trade like this, and it's sort of the impetus for me starting this thread. I received an 11 pack trade with a mixture of small bean seeds, corn, melons/watermelon, as well as small seeds packed in a 3x6 envelope with a piece of bubble wrap in the back and seeds stacked from biggest to smallest (biggest seeds next to the bubble wrap) thickness 1/4". The seed baggies, which were about the same size as the envelope seemed to provide additional protection on the non-padded side. All seeds were received in perfect condition and there was no postage due.

First Class Large Envelope (98 cents-3.62): This has become my go to method for sending trades of 15-30 seed packs. I use a 5x7 bubble envelope that is ~1/4" thick when empty. I've been able to send large and small seeds with these envelopes and they have all arrived in good condition with no postage due. I've also received seeds in good condition with no postage due via this method as well; some envelopes were much larger and definitely bordering on being over the 3/4" thickness limitation.

First Class Parcel (2.54-4.54): I send seeds as parcels when I participate in swaps since I send in 100+ packs and because it's nice to have a tracking number. I use whatever size bubble envelope fits all of my seeds and haven't had any problems with smashed seeds, and of course no postage due ;).

Comments (6)

Sponsored