SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brittneyt2

Best containers for growing vegetables?

brittneyt2 (6)
8 years ago

I'll be growing my first container vegetable garden this year. (Used to plant in ground gardens, but moved recently). Mostly tomatoes and peppers, plus some cucumbers and a few other things. I want to stay as close to organic as possible.

I'm trying to decide on what types of containers to use. I've seen some recommendations to use self-watering containers, but my initial search has shown me that they are quite expensive. So - are they worth it? It would be great to hear from anyone who's grown in both and compared. These seem to be a newer trend, so obviously people have grown successful container crops in more traditional containers... If it's going to make a huge difference, I'll consider spending the extra money.

Whatever I end up using, it has to be somewhat attractive. I've moved into a nice subdivision where all of the yards and houses are kept up very nice, so I don't want to put out junky-looking containers. Everyone here fertilizes their yards, so since I want organic produce, containers are my only option.

Any advice/suggestions/experience sharing will be greatly appreciated!

Comment (1)