SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

To those of you in colder areas - what do rose leaves do?

jacqueline9CA
8 years ago

OK, there is a thread in the "roses" forum started by a person who lives in RIverside, CA (which is in So Cal, inland - very dry area. His HOA is still irrigating the roses 20 minutes every other day). He was very concerned because lots of his roses' leaves all turned yellow at once. Thought it was a serious problem of some sort. I inquired if his weather has gotten under freezing lately. He said it got to 30 degrees one night, and otherwise has been in the 30s and 40s at night.

We had below freezing weather here for 2-3 days a couple of weeks ago, and suddenly most of the leaves on many of my roses turned yellow, and are now falling off in all of this rain. So, I suggested it was normal reaction to the cold weather - just something we do not see in Calif very often.

Others on that thread seem to think it is too much water. I don't think so, as that does not happen to my roses in the winter usually, even when we are getting our "normal" 35 inches of rain in about 4 months during the winter - they stay evergreen, just look a bit ratty, and then fall of when the new leaves come in (or I get less lazy and take them off).

So, my question is for those of you who live in cold winter climates - we are just so ignorant out here, sorry - what happens to the leaves on your roses when it starts to freeze every night? Thanks -

Jackie

Comments (7)