SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kleighj

Reasonable Expectations for Solid Wood Dining Room Table

kleighj
8 years ago

My husband and I are furnishing a new-to-us house, and as always, I'm a value shopper (highest quality for lowest price). We are on the hunt for dining room tables.

Specifications:

• Rectangular dining room table
  • Approximately 78" wide x 40" deep to seat 8 people
  • Plus a leaf for entertaining
  • Trestle or pedestal base to enable more seating (unlike our current dining room table, whose legs block the corners)
  • Durable and likely distressed, since we'll be having kids
  • Light wood or gray/greige stain or something else that contrasts with our dark hardwood floors (50% Jacobean, 50% Ebony)
  • No red undertones
  • Chairs are a non-issue, since we won't be purchasing matching ones.

I like this Z Gallerie table, the reviews are great, and the price seems reasonable, but it's MDF.

This Wayfair table also has a reasonable price but is a bit too large and doesn't have a leaf.

This Overstock table looks promising, but one of the reviewers commented on red undertones.

I haven't had any luck on Craigslist thus far.

I've seen people recommend custom tables in previous threads, but I get sticker shock when perusing local woodworkers' profiles on CustomMade (although I recognize that people should be paid for their handcrafted work).

I live in Ohio, so Amish may be an option, but I'm not sure about price points, and the styles/stains I see online often look too traditional for our tastes. Places like Furniture Fair sell Amish-made tables, but if I were to go that route, I would go straight to the source and eliminate the middleman (Furniture Fair).

My questions are:

• What's a realistic price for a solid wood table that meets the specifications listed above? I was hoping to stay within $1,500; however, if that were a ridiculous expectation, it would be helpful to know that.
  • Am I looking in the correct places?
  • Is there a wood type (e.g., maple) that is preferable/superior for quality and durability?

Thanks for your input!

Comments (6)