SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amy_a_93

My (not) dead cactus

amy_a_93
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Can someone shed light on why my cactus is the way it is?

A few years ago, I bought it at the grocery store, placed it in the window, and forgot about it. I noticed one day that one side was turning brown, the side near the window. I turned it around.... and then the other side started to turn brown, until almost the whole thing was brown, minus the top. I thought it was rotting, since only the top was green, and decided to cut off the top and replant. Welp, when I cut it, the inside was healthy and green, so I thought I just had an oops and replanted it.

Then a few years later I moved into an apartment.... and my cactus had a baby! Hooray! The baby has grown quite large and the cactus is still brown and missing a head.

Here's my question. It has two parts. Everyone seems to think the cactus is dead. I compared two pictures and, though the pup is growing, damn, it is really brown and looks rotten. How can a cactus look rotten and sprout a pup? I'm concerned its dead or dying. But the pup is fine, very healthy and green. It's not possible for a dead/dying cactus to sprout a pup.... right? How can I tell the difference between my regular brown cactus and rotting? I just poked a hole in it and it went through pretty easily but it's not mushy. The skin just feels thin. The inside is green.

Also, what should I do with the pup? It's going to look *really* strange if I cut off the pup and the cactus is missing a head and has a hole in the side.

Here's the pictures. The first one is from May, the second a few weeks ago. It looks a LOT browner in the second pic, but it was night, and the lighting was terrible. Still, though? I'm just really confused by my cactus. I've been convinced its not dead/diseased but now I'm not so sure.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/11233254_10153079423273381_5054467436078772022_n.jpg?oh=fd625196ca1aac4be2e4358507858813&oe=573AAE41  (to get this to work, after it opens, press on the url so it highlights and then press enter)

http://postimg.org/image/4pdc20qib/

Comments (9)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!