SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenfanatic2003

Trying to come back from vole damage :-(

The past two winters I never had time to clean the fall leaves out of my gardens. This coincided with my neighbor who had 4 outdoor cats (that loved to hunt on my property) moving away. The result was an invasion of voles in my gardens and mass hosta losses. :-( It really depresses me when I look at photos of my gardens taken before this happened. The vast majority of my hostas are completely gone.

However, one of my favorite hostas, Dark Shadows, is still there, it's just 90% gone. Here it is before the devastation - it was actually bigger than this pic since the pic was taken in 2010:

I didn't take a picture of it this past summer, but it had gone from 22 eyes to 3. Is it going to be possible to get it going again, or should I just buy another one?

Here's a before photo of one of my hosta beds that was hit:

Captain Kirk - gone, Alex Summers - gone, Jewel of the Nile - gone, Guacamole - small, June - small, Touch of class - small, Lancifolia - small, Dark Shadows - tiny, one of the hydrangeas in the upper left corner - gone. The heucheras are gone due to a very snowy winter we had - they stayed too wet. This bed is mostly empty. My other hosta beds are even emptier than this one is. When I think about all the time, money, and effort I've put into my hostas I feel sick. It's very depressing every time I look at them.

I'm not sure if I should try to "rebuild" or not since it could happen again. Or if I should dig up the survivors and replant them in one area and fill in the rest with grass seed. I'm trying to decide now what I should do, because if I'm going to "rebuild" I want to get some orders placed fairly soon.

Deanna

Comments (23)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio