SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbie_jean_brown

I've studied, got tape measure in hand, sign legal docs tomorrow!

Debbie B.
8 years ago

I'm nothing if not a great student. Which is lucky since I've been in college since 2007. So I've read, re-read, and read again the following: How do I ask for layout help; Looking for layout help; How do I plan for storage; Aisle widths, walkways, etc.; and Kitchen work zones. I'd like to thank buehl, marcolo, and gwtamara for their generosity in writing all this up! I just have a few questions:

1. So, it should go: refrigerator, range, dishwasher (put MW on counter above DW), and I can get by with the sink in the bathroom down the hall, right?

2. Can I keep my stolen shopping cart full of cat food up in the attic where I keep grandma?

3. There is not one single thing I'm willing to change about my kitchen. Can I post my layout anyway and just ask you all to compliment it excessively?

4. Who are all these people crossing into my work zones, helping themselves to my refrigerator while I'm prepping, and jumping in front of me every time I take something out of my oven, and when can I expect them to show up? I've been very lonely.

OK, OK, just kidding! All the information was very helpful! And that is no joke. I definitely am going to write down exactly what I have and what kind of drawer or cupboard it should be in, and in which zones. AND go through buehl's pantry list, which is exhaustive, and see which items I actually use and figure out where they should go.

Additionally, I'm going out to the house next Wednesday, measuring tape and graph paper in hand, and I'm going to measure EVERYTHING. Not just in the kitchen, in the whole house. I'm very poor at drawing floor plans, but I promise to do my best. We had to draw floor plans of our houses in 7th grade geography and I actually flunked the exercise. But I'll try. One girl in my class, Delores, wasn't allowed by her parents to draw a floor plan of her house because it might fall into the hands of the Communists (1971). She got a better grade than I did. (That is actually a true story!) But I'm confident that if I apply myself to the task at hand, I will be able to deliver a fairly accurate floor plan in about a week and a half. I'm also going to take about a billion pictures. That's for me, because I can "see" better how something would look or would work if I can look at pictures of what it is now.

But the best news is that tomorrow the seller and I are going down to the courthouse to get the title transferred over to me! Yay! All the legal stuff will be well underway; I'll just have to file some forms with the county and state. Yay! I'm about to be a homeowner! I'm so excited! I'm renting back to the sellers through May, and I will move in mid-June or so, after the "extreme cleaners" go in and do their bit, and the carpet cleaners too.

And seriously, thank you so much, all you gurus, for helping out us newbies. The advice I've read on this forum, and the advice you've given me personally, has already made a huge difference! You guys are great! :-)

Comments (16)